Chapter Thirteen

"Oh I'm so happy! I'm going to be a grandmother again!" Rebecca said hugging Angela tightly.

"I'm impressed." Evan said coming up and slapping Jake on the back. "It took me over forty years to knock your sister up. You managed to get Angela in just a few months." Rebecca slapped her son-in-law on the back of the head.

"Don't talk like that around me!" she scolded. Then she leaned in and whispered to Angela.

"Is is impressive though.. It took his father almost fifty years."

"I'm going to call my dad and let him know." Angela said happily.

"Better yet why don't we go tell him in person?" Jake asked. Angela nearly hopped up and down with excitement.

"Let's go!" she said. Jake wrapped his arms around her and dashed her to the woods next to her dads house. Angela took off toward the house but Jake grabbed her arm and pulled her back to him.

"Something isn't right." he said. He sniffed the air again and Angela's hair stood on end as he growled low in his throat.

"There are police at the house." he said. "I'm going to change and see what I can find out. You stay here."

"Is my dad ok?" she asked. Jake shrugged.

"I don't know yet. I'm going to find out." Angela nodded. Jake pulled his clothes off and handed them to Angela and then he quickly changed into a wolf before walking out of the woods and toward the house.

There was a single cop car in the driveway and a big van with coroner written across the back of it. Jake crept around the back of the house and jumped inside through an open window. He could smell death in the house. He was standing in the kitchen and could hear voices coming from the living room.

"Time of death appears to be around two days ago." a man said. "Without an autopsy I cannot be sure but I believe heart failure is the cause of death. Foul play is not suspected." Jake had heard all he needed to hear. The police didn't suspect foul play but he could smell the scent of an immortal in the house. The scent was a coupld of days old but it was there.

The scent seemed familiar but he could not remember why or from where. He jumped back out the window and crept back to the woods. He found Angela looking pale and scared where he had left her. He changed back and quickly dressed.

"What's going on?" she demanded. "Is my dad ok?" Jake couldn't meet her eyes and she knew. She let out a broken sob and fell to her knees.

"Love, I'm so sorry." he said falling to his knees beside her and holding her close.

"What happened?" she asked. He kissed her hair. He hated to lie to her but he didn't want to scare her unnecessarily.

"I heard the police and coroner talking. They said it was heart failure." he replied.

"My poor daddy." she moaned. Just then Jake began to growl and he stood up quickly standing guard over her as the air shimmered around them. Vladimir appeared in the shadows.

"Calm down, wolf pup." he said his voice sophisticated and calm. "I need to speak with you."

"What do you need to say?" Jake asked.

(I think it would be better if your mate did not hear. I can tell her condition is delicate.) Jake looked down at Angela and back at Vladimir and nodded.

(Yea she is carrying our child.)

(Congratulations.) Vladimir said then his violet eyes turned deadly serious. (Two nights ago an immortal was here. He was a were creature. A cat of some sort though I am not sure what exactly. He spoke to Angela's father just before his heart failed him.)