14

Maya's POV:

I'm walking on the sidewalk outside with tears in my eyes, recalling everything that happened recently.

First, I fall in love with Josh, moving on from Lucas, who was in jail for the past few years.

Next, Lucas gets out of Jail and shows up on my doorstep unaware that I have a boyfriend.

Then I have tell Lucas to leave because I'm in a relationship and that he and I can't be together, leaving us both in tears.

Then Farkle tells me that Riley kissed Lucas.. er, Lucas kissed Riley, and I confront Riley about it, we get in an argument, and it ends with me blurting out that I love Lucas, not Josh- with Josh standing right behind me.

I tried to talk to him, I did. But he wouldn't listen. He just walked away and ignored me. He went to Auggie's room and slammed the door in my face.

I blink, and a tear falls down my cheek.

Why is my life so messed up? I think to myself. I can never get anything right. Nothing can ever stay the way it is.

As I'm walking, the wind quickly dries the wetness of my face and makes it sticky and hard.

I don't know where I'm gonna go. Riley and Josh are at her apartment, and neither of them want anything to do with me. I could always go back to my house, but my mom's out of town.

One thing I could do.. is go talk to Lucas. It wouldn't hurt, I guess.

I start heading in the direction of his house.

Lucas's POV:

I'm laying in my bed, with my door closed, watching tv. It's getting dark outside so I turn my lamp on.

Suddenly, someone knocks on my bedroom door. I turn the tv off with the remote, and hop up to get the door.

When I open in, my heart practically skips a beat when I see Maya standing there.

"M-maya?" My voice cracks.

"Hi, Lucas." She says quietly.

"What are you doing here?"

I open my door all the way so that she can come in my room. When she does, I leave my door open a crack.

"Well, I just thought we should talk."

Maya seems like shes doing okay, but I can hear sadness in her voice. She looks like she's been crying.

"Okay.. about what?" I ask softly.

"Us."

"Us?"

"Look, alot has happened latley.. and I.. I just want you to know I still love you."

A billion things run through my head. What about Josh? What happened? What about Riley? Does she want to get back together?

But then my mind goes blank. I love her. I always have. Always will.

"Maya.. I love you to. But what about Josh? I thought-"

"Josh? Who told you about Josh?"

"Wha-?" I start, confused.

"I never told you it was Josh, remember? I didn't tell you who I was dating." I remind him. "Wha.. was it Riley? Did she tell you?"

"What does it matter? It doesn't matter anymore."

"No, tell me, Lucas. Was it Riley?" I demand.

"No, it wasn't her, and I dont understand why it's so important to know if she did."
"Wow. The thing is, Lucas, I know you kissed Riley. Now your protecting her from me, so that I wont get mad at her." She shakes her head.

"Okay, Maya, yes I kissed her. But that shouldn't matter to you, anymore. You've probably kissed Josh, too! I'm not the only one who's moved on Maya!"

Maya just stares at me, her anger turning to sadness.

"So.. you've moved on. You don't love me anymore?" She says quietly and sadly, her voice cracking.

"Maya.. I'll always love you. But it doesn't seem fair that you get to move on and be happy, but I don't."

Her eyes slowly start to water.

"I know, and I'm sorry. It's just hard to watch someone you love move on and.. love someone else. Especially when you've been through so much together."

"Yea." I nodd. "We sure have been through hell together."

Maya laughs a little, and a tear drops down her face. A step closer to her and put my hand on her cheek. I wipe away her tear with my thumb, and she puts her hand on mine.

"I love you Maya."

"I love you too, Ranger Rick."

"Wow. Haven't heard that in forever." I laugh.

"Yea? Well there's more where that came from, huckleberry." She giggles.

"I miss the good old days. When everything seemed normal. When everything wasnt so complicated."

"I miss when we were together, and madly in love. When we would stop at nothing and fight for each other." Maya looks up at me. "I want you, Lucas. You and only you. Not Josh, not anyone else."

I realize how close were standing, with my hand still on her cheek. She grabs my it and pulls it off, to hold my hands.

Then Maya slowly stands on her tiptoes and kisses me. First, softly, then more hungrily.

And just when I thought she would pull away, she drags me onto my bed.