Prologue

Malaika opened her eyes, to the sound of her mum sounding quite worried on the cellphone. Her bedroom door opened and her mother walked in slowly, looking weak and shocked. Her eyes were moist with fresh tears.

"M-m-mummy. Are you alright?" Malaika asked, full of concern.

"Honey...there is something that mummy needs to tell you." Her mother closed the door and walked towards her daughter. Oh Lord, how do I tell her this? She's only twelve. This would break her tender heart. Please Lord, give me the right words. Patricia prayed as easily as she breathed.

"Say something mummy."

"Baby.." Patricia took her daughter's hands, and kissed them. "Mali. You know Jesus loves you right? Mali, Sarah has gone with Jesus. She...she's gone to heaven now."

"Mum, are you saying that Sarah...that um Sarah is dead?" 

"Yes honey. She...she died last night."

Sarah was Malaika's best friend since they were still in diapers. They did everything together. Homework, tap dancing, volleyball, and so on.  They were sisters. They knew each other inside out. 

Losing Sarah was like losing a precious stone.

"How did she die?"

"She..." Patricia's voice broke before she could answer the question. How could she tell Malaika that her best friend  committed suicide? Tears rushed down Patricia's cheeks. "Mali...sweetheart, she committed s-s-suicide."

Malaika reflected both anger and hurt in her eyes. She could not imagine her life without Sarah. Sarah was her only friend, and her death brought loneliness.