chapter 19

Pardon any mistakes any Pardon any mistakes please!

"Amirah Marliyyah El - Assad,will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?"

The court became extremely silent,so much so that they could hear the sound of their breathing. Marliyyah could not believe her eyes. So this was it? Apologise and the next moment ask for my hand in marriage? She felt herself become angry and grabbed general al basha ' s sword from its sheath and holding the hilt, pointed the sword at Nawfal, with the tip just a few inches from his neck.

"How dare you?! How dare you come here and try to make a fool out of me? What kind of woman do you think I am? First you apologise and then ask for my hand in marriage? Do you think I am that cheap to fall for your words of so called apology and then walk into a marriage with you?! No sultan Nawfal Al-fateh! You are mistaken!"

Nawfal watched in shock as the princess pointed the sword at him with anger in her eyes. They embers where burning within them and the bright honey like colour shone with rage. He could not for the life of him understand why she was thinking this way or acting like this. Did he say something wrong? What was happening? Nothing was going as he had hoped.

"Amirah, with all due respect, you are getting things wrong. I have no intention of insul...."

"With all due respect sultan, I would hear none of what you have to say. The only reason you are still standing before me is because of what you have done for my people and for my kingdom and that is why I will let you go. Consider it a payment for the favour you have done for....."

"Silence!" Nawfal's voice boomed in anger to which even general al basha had to flinch and the hand Marliyyah was holding the sword with shook a bit with fear. Nawfal's black eyes looked deadly now for they were ablaze with anger.

"I will not have you insult me amirah. I came here with nothing but good will and here you are talking about repaying me for the favours done to you people. How lowly you must think of me. I will not stay here and tolerate any more insults or say something I might end up regretting. I heard alot about you but unfortunately what I have seen is different. I believe I have overstayed my welcome. I shall leave now. General, you may tell your fellow members of council that I had to leave as a matter of urgency. The food prepared for the feast in my honour should be distributed amongst the people, it must not go to waste. Let us leave Murad, Assalamualaikum", he said to both of them and left the court room as though he would hit something if he remained there any longer.

Murad turned to look at Marliyyah in anger and disappointment.

"All my life, I have never seen my friend so insulted. You think he came here to insult you? Sadly princess, you are a poor judge of character. In your fit of rage, you did not notice the pouch he brought along with him after risking his life because of it. Yes, Nawfal climbed the Za'if tree himself and got the herbs despite there being a snake and he packed it carefully, bringing it with him so that nothing would happen to it and yes I know he would be angry with me for telling you because he wanted to keep his help secret and here you are saying such things to him. He heard about fazil beig's involvement in your attack and was willing to go ahead with this marriage to protect you from that man's evil intentions. I am sorry amirah,you have just lost a great man because you let your anger get the best of you. I am really sorry." With that, he turned around and left too,in order to catch up with his friend and find a way to pacify him.

Marliyyah felt as though she had been slapped on the face with what Murad said. He climbed the tree himself to help get the herb to save baba? He wanted to marry me to protect me from Fazil Beig? What have I done? The sword dropped from her hand with a thump and clinking sound. She gathered up her skirts and ran to her chambers,leaving an astonished general Farouq behind. He bent sadly and picked up his sword, before placing it back in its sheath. This was not at all how he wanted things to go. This was not at all what he thought would happen. He gently carried the pouch of herbs to take to abu Hakeem and then go in search of his wife. He had to give her the unfortunate news.