War (1)

"When?" Asked Nawfal.

"A week from now" replied Marwan, his jaw taut.

"How?" Asked Nawfal, his question incomplete though his brother understood what it was he was asking about. Marliyya walked to him, taking her hands in his and he immediately intertwined their fingers, his eyes showing gratitude for her presence and the strength he gained from her, though the expression on his face remained the same.

"Safwanah and I had gone hunting. As we got further into the forest, I heard movement,not that of an animal but more precise, like that of a human. As the movement got closer, my heart dropped at what I discovered ."

"Habibi", whispered Safwanah, as she moved closer to her husband on instinct, shaking with fear.

"Are those...... are those soldiers?" She dared to ask, fearing the answer.

"Yes my love, he replied, pulling her closer, while he tried to count the  men he saw with his eyes.

They were at least three thousand men, from what he could see. These men were not merchants, their movement spoke of years and years of training, military training. They wore slippers made of straw, to erase any foot print or tracks.

These men were going to war and worse of all, they intended to take their enemies by surprise.

"noori, I want you to wait here for me, I have to go and find out what these people are up to. No matter what safwanah, do not come after me. I repeat, do not come after me" he said, handing her his dagger before pulling her into his arms.

"Be safe Marwan" she said after they broke apart and he kissed her one last time, before he walked away from her, intent on finding out for himself what the matter was.

Keep him safe Ya Allah, she prayed silently.

"I heard the women in Heman are excotic" said one of the soldiers with an ugly sneer on his face.

"And their grapes! Man, we can use them to make very strong khamr" said another, as they laughed out loud.

"Who was that?" Came a voice Marwan recognised all too well.

Mahmoud Pasha.

" I asked, who was that?" Said Pasha, as he moved closer until he was standing two rows before the one the two men were on.

The men walked and knelt before him, fear in their movements.

"Did you forget, dear men, that you are to maintain absolute silence until we set up camp on the Hemani borders?"

"No sayyidi" they replied, afraid of their fate. Mahmoud Pasha was not a man to forgive.

"It saddens me dear men, but...." was all he said, as he brought out his sword and swiftly sent their heads flying. Their bodies fell to the floor, shuddering,as blood gushed out of where their heads had once been . He used their clothes to clean his sword before instructing 4 men to pick their bodies and dump them where the wild animals will be able to feast on them.

"You know, dear prince that you do not have to hide" he said, looking directly at the shrubs that hid Marwan. Marwan felt his entire body go tense, wondering how Pasha knew of his presence .

"Oh dear, let me repeat my request again.  Amir Marwan, the crown prince of Aswaan and husband of the very beautiful princess Safwanah....." he said, emphasising the word husband.

Marwan felt his breath leave him as he saw a man dragging Safwanah by the arm, with a dagger on her throat, as he led her towards Pasha. Having no other choice, he came out of hiding and walked towards Pasha, his eyes never leaving his wife's.

"Oh your highnesses! I really did not want us to meet like this!" He said in mock regret.

"Leave my wife out of this Pasha."

He saw a flash of fear in Pasha's eyes at his tone and so did his men, before it was gone. Marwan, like Murad and Nawfal, had a reputation for being a brave and ruthless soldier during battles.

"Oh but your wife got herself involved when she decided to follow you even after you told her not to, no doubt, and well,  killed 2 of my soldiers who had seen her. Only Adam here was able to suppress her, not without the ugly cut right there on his cheek. You are a lucky man Adam, a little further and she would have gotten your eye."

"Now,now, we have wasted too much time and time you see is precious so I will come straight to the point. Ya Amir, I will be leaving with your wife....."  Immediately Marwan launched for Pasha's throat but was held how by 3 men.

"La Ya Amir, do not do that. That will only anger me and put your wife in danger, be calm and listen to me" he chastised.

"I will go along with your wife and make sure she is kept alive and taken care of. You on the other hand will tell Nawfal Al-fateh of the war. You will tell him that the war will begin in a week's time. Only...."

"Only what?" Marwan spat venomously

"It will be in 3 days."

*******

As Marwan remembered that unfortunate day and how his Safwanah had been taken away from him, he felt his heart break all over again. If only Pasha had not sent a spy to keep an eye on him and ensure he did not tell Nawfal the truth about the war being in three days..... or that his wife was held captive by Pasha......

He was conflicted between loyalty to his friend and keeping his wife alive, the decision was difficult. He had to come up with something and come up with it fast.

"Very well, we prepare to defend our lands in one week" said Nawfal.

Help me find a way Ya Allah,Marwan prayed.

********
Until next time, Ma'asalam.