Chapter 3

Buck brings me to my sleeping quarters and I look around, just a few cots and a wall with bows and a table with arrows on it.

"What is all this?", I ask.

Buck replies, "Your weapons for Guardians, as of right now we have 16 on our Boat, there are a few different rooms so youll be sharing this one with 3 other Guardians, they'll show you what to do."

Buck says, "Well, just look around for a few minutes, ill go get another Guardian to come and get you."

Before i can say "alright", Buck leaves. I walk over to a cot and lay on it. It wasnt as comfortable as the one i was on when I woke up. "The other one must have been their hospital one or something...", I say to my self. I get up and walk over to the table and pick up an arrow.

Just then, someone came in and said, "Man, you cant wait to get started".

The guy says, "Anyway, im David, whats your name".

I reply, "I'm Jake".

David says, "Let me give you the grand tour, this Boat is one of the smaller ones of all 36, 3 miles long and 1 mile wide. Pretty big, huh? Anyway lets go over here".

We walk down a few hallways turn left, then right, then 2 lefts and a right.

David proudly says, "This is our training range, for Guardians".

He then whispers into my ear, "Sometimes you will see some Watchmen around here, just ignore them".

We walk over to one of the targets and then I remember something.

I say, "Darn, i left my bow in the sleeping area".

David says, "Thats fine i got one for you, you go first".

I pick up the bow and an arrow and look at it.

"Why dont we use guns?", I ask.

David looks at me and then finally says, "We ran out of ammo a few weeks ago so they're useless now".

I reply, "Oh."

I draw back the string and shoot the arrow from 10m. I hit just outside the bullseye.

"Nice for a first shot", David says.

"Thanks", I reply.

David says, "You got 2 more arrows".

I fire both of them, the 2nd hit 3 rings from the bullseye and the 3rd one hit a near bullseye, again.

David says, "You will be a pretty good Guardian, if you can beat this".

He picks up his bow and arrow and shoots a perfect bullseye, his next hits another bullseye, his last one hits a bulleye but this one hits his 1st arrow and the 1st one splits in half and the one he just shot makes a bullsye. I stare in amazement at the arrows shards of wood falling around his 3rd arrow.

David says, "Thats how its done, ok now its dinner".

We walk over to the big dining hall and we sit down and start eating with about 400 other kids, there are a few adults though. After dinner we went to our sleeping quarters. I met the other 2 I was sharing a sleeping quarter with.

The 1st kid said, "Hey im Andrew".

The 2nd said, "Im Jon, with no H".

I said, "Hey guys im Jake".

We all went to bed. I started to drift off and the pull of sleep overwhelmed me.