Chapter One

Tris POV

"Zeke Pedrad."

As my big brother walks up to the stage, I cry. I cry because I don't want him to leave me. My twin brother Uriah squeezes my hand. "It's ok Tris. Zeke belongs in Dauntless. He's coming back, I promise," he whispers softly. The doubt in my brothers voice screams out at my worst fear; Zeke will leave us. We wait in prolonged silence, desperate for the sound of blood sizzling over hot coals. I pray for my brother to come back to me.

"Dauntless."

I let out a strangled cry of joy, flinging my arms around Uriah's neck. My heart moves out of my throat and back into my chest as I watch Zeke climb up the stairs, grinning. I smile back at him, laughing and crying simultaneously. Thank god I didn't lose my brother today.

Then there's shock. People roar out in surprise and shock, followed by excitement.

A Stiff just chose Dauntless. His name is Tobias Eaton, son of the Abnegation leader, Marcus. He looks scared, but there's a gleam in his eyes that makes him look dangerous. The room is tense and no one cares about the last few names called. The five factions are dismissed, Dauntless going first due to it being our year to conduct the Choosing Ceremony. As we leave the building in a loud bundle, I feel hands grab my back, and I'm lifted off the ground. I shriek in surprise, laughing as Zeke drops me back onto the ground.

"Zeke!" I yelp, throwing a punch at his arm. "Why are you so mean?! I thought you were going to leave us back there, and now you grab me?! That is not okay!" He laughs, not taking me at all seriously. "Tris, who would be scared of you? You're, like, 5 feet tall and 14 years old. You're the opposite of scary and intimidating." Zeke gestures over to the Stiff. "Tobias over here, he may be a Stiff, but he looks pretty dang scary and intimidating." He smacks the boy's shoulder, and I hear a wince from him. Tobias mutters something under his breath. "What was that, Stiff?" Uriah questions as we wait for the train.

"My name isn't Tobias," the boy says rigidly. "That was my Stiff name, and seeing as I'm no longer a Stiff, it doesn't seem fitting to use it anymore, don't you think?"

I stare in awe at the former Abnegation boy in front of me. This kid is pretty smart, and he seems dangerous. The perfect fit for us Dauntless.

I see the train barreling towards us, here an older member yell out, "Get ready to jump! It's coming in quick today!" I quickly swipe my hands across my black jacket as the train barely slows upon reaching us. A grin spreads across my face as I see the new boy's face go pale. I start running along the train, adrenaline feeding my bones as I swiftly pull myself onto the train. I crouch by the door, waiting for Tobias.

He barely makes it. With the help of Uriah, I drag him up onto the train. I smile at him before sitting down in between my brothers. The wind pulls my hair as we travel through the city, heading straight towards Dauntless headquarters.

Home.

Hey guys!
I encourage you all to go read my Divergent High book. Please send me ideas for it!

Thanks!

hockeycat29

update: 12/27/16

hey guys! it's the author here. sorry for the previous cringe fest. i am currently editing this story grammatically and adding more details. the plot is still the exact same as before, but it should hopefully flow much more smoothly and not sound as terrible.

also the divergent high book doesn't exist. very sorry about that.

much love,
jaegerboom