Chapter Twelve

Tris POV

I wake up in my bed. How did I get here? Last thing I remember, I was talking to Tobias. Maybe he brought me back last night? Probably.

"Hey Tris."

"Hey Uri."

"So, uh, how was your date or whatever?"

"It was good."

"Cool. Well, Zeke and I are going to breakfast. Do you wanna come?"

"Yeah."

I throw on some sweats and a t-shirt and follow Uriah. I notice that since we are both in relationships, we haven't talked very much. Our short talks have become way to formal.

"So Uri, how's Mar?"

He stiffens up. "She's fine."

"What happened?"

"She got hurt. Last night. Because of me." he murmurs sadly.

"What happened?" I ask again.

"She tripped over my bag. Face first into the counter. 18 stitches on her chin, broken jaw." He sighs. "I'm a horrible boyfriend."

I slap him. Right across the face.
He stumbles, clutching his bright red cheek.
"Never say that again. You can't help mistakes."

"I'm sorry." he whispers. "I'm just scared that she won't love me, or she'll blame me or...or... I don't know! I'm just scared."

And then I see it. A flash of pain, fear, and stress takes over Uriah's once bright eyes. It scares me, thinking that he looks like this at age fourteen. But it's gone within seconds.

"Tris?"

"Yeah?"

"I think someone's looking for you."

As I turn my head to look around, I'm swooped off my feet and thrown into the air. I let out a shriek as I'm caught by someone else. I hear laughter as I'm dragged down the halls, hands muffling my face.

The hands disappear and I don't even get to look before another set grabs my face. And kisses me. Just from the feel of the hands, I know it's him.

When he pulls back, grinning, I playfully smack him.

"Woah! Trissy is sassy!" Tobias says, laughing.
I reply by smacking him again. He cocks his head and stares at me.

"What?" I ask.

"I would kiss you again, but I don't think that would be polite."

I look around and see Zeke, Uri, Shauna, Lynn, and, in a wheelchair, Mar. They all stand there, just staring, waiting for something to happen.

So I decide to do something that I know will shock them.

"Four, I think we need to take a break from each other."