My Imaginary Boyfriend *Forgotten Melody

"Caleb."

"What?" he asks, looking up from his pasta.

We're in the cafeteria, sitting across from each other. Our classmates steal glances at our table when they think I'm not looking. Perhaps they're wondering why a cute guy like Caleb wants to eat with someone like me.

"Why do you want to eat with me?" I ask. Finally, my curiosity wins over my shyness.

"Why?"

"I'm just curious," I say.

He puts down his fork and drinks his soda. "I just want to be friends with you."

"Why me?" I ask, tucking a loose hair behind my ear.

"Why, don't you want to be my friend?"

"I didn't say that," I say.

What he said is familiar. Of course, it's familiar because it's almost the same thing I made Daniel say. Is this a coincidence? Maybe, because how can Caleb know I'm making my own world in my mind?

Caleb clears his throat to get my attention. "Spacing much?"

"No," I drawl. "I just thought of something."

He's not even buying it.

"Why, really?"

"I'm just tired of people staring at my good looks," he says, a smile is playing at the corner of his mouth.

"Geez, that's a lot to take in!"

To my surprise, he laughs. People near us give us odd stares and whispers when they lock gazes at me. I ignore them because that's what I always do when people start to notice me.

"None of your friends have joined us," he observes.

"I don't have friends," I say wearily.

He scoffs. "As if."

"Caleb, I'll give you an advice."

"Sure," he says, amusement lighting his green eyes.

"If a girl says bad things about herself, it's true."

A smile forms in his lips. "Is it?"

I nod.

"What about Kamille? "

"Kamille?"

"Yes," he says, "And I assume she's your friend."

"She is," I say slowly.

"But why did you tell me that you have no friends?"

"Because I have no friends," I say honestly. "Kamille is my only friend."

I don't know why he's choosing this topic to talk about. Heaving a sigh, I look around us to find a lot of eyes glancing at our table uneasily. Suddenly, my curious eyes meet Alex's across the cafeteria. He cocks his head to the side, making his hair falls, obscuring his eyes from the view. I tear away from his gaze after that.

"You're different," Caleb says matter-of-factly.

"Thank you," I say. "I prefer not to be like anyone else."

Why do you want to be them if you can be your own self? I'd rather be alone than say things I don't mean than be with them who will not accept me as me.

A lot of people are searching for friends, trying to fit in. People are more comfortable when they have friends surrounding them.

People just look through me. Sometimes, I feel like I don't belong. Here in this place. What if I didn't leave the orphanage? Would my life be different? I dismiss the thought quickly. There's nothing I can do about it now.

But what if Alex came back for you and you were not there? I want to scream in frustration because this stupid thought doesn't want to leave me alone. It's funny how people hold on to their past too tight; their future might never come.

"Annalise," Caleb says, interrupting me from my reverie. "Can I ask a question?"

"Sure," I say without hesitation. "What is it?"

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

Are you applying? But what I say is, "I don't."

When he doesn't respond, I ask him why is he asking.

"Curiosity."

"Do you have a girlfriend?"

He shakes his head.

I'm about to ask him another question when the bell rings, indicating that lunch time is over. Caleb and I say goodbye to each other because we don't have the same class. 

I'm on my way towards the exit of the school. My last subject extends from its usual time so there are only few students in the hallway. I can't wait to go home and read my books. Today is just an ordinary day. Nothing unusual happened. Well, except for the fact that I talked to Alex and eat with Caleb.

The sound from my right breaks me from my thoughts.

I stop walking and listen intently to hear where the sound is really coming from. The sound comes from the hallway leading to the Music Room. Figures.

Someone is playing the piano. That song, that soft melody, every stroke of the keys courses through my veins. The song is familiar. But where did I hear it? When did I listen to it? I walk as silently as I can towards the Music Room, afraid that whoever is playing the piano will stop when he or she hears a noise.

I search my mind for the song, but there's something blocking me from accessing the memory. The music is much louder when I'm just a few feet away from the room. I stop at the door and open it silently. My heart beats furiously in my chest. I wonder why. It's as if I'll see something I'm not meant to see.

I let my eyes adjust to the darkness of the room, and then I see that the pianist back is to me. He's really good because he can play without any lights. I guess he knows the keys by heart.

Yes, the pianist is a guy. He's sitting so I don't know his height, but I bet he's tall. My right hand is still on the doorknob. I step one foot forward and–

"Boo!" A hand falls to my shoulder.

I scream instinctively and get out of the room, shutting the door behind me with a bang.

The music cuts off and then an eruptive laughter comes from the guy behind me.

*****

I hope you liked this chapter. The song is Whisper by A Fine Frenzy :)

Thank you for reading! <3