My Imaginary Boyfriend *Invitation

"How did it go?"

"How did what go?" I ask, confused.

"Your date with Alex," Caleb says, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

I roll my eyes at him. "It's not a date."

"Yeah, right," he says wryly, pushing my swing faster.

Caleb and I are in the park. It has been our secret hideout ever since we got stuck in the rain a couple of weeks ago.

It's a good day; the sun is out, and the sky is blue. Children are playing on the slide and on the monkey bar; they're accompanied by their parents. There are some teens on the seesaw. Couples are at the edge of the park, lying on blankets.

I've never liked to be surrounded with people, but today is an exception. I don't want to stay at home and miss this day. It's not every day when the weather is nice. It's a summer day in a winter season. So when Caleb knocked at the door an hour ago and asked me if I wanted to walk, I didn't even hesitate to say yes.

"Annalise," he says suddenly, tapping my shoulder to get my attention.

"Yes?" I crane my neck to look at him.

"Let's go out."

I frown. "We're already out."

"I mean, go to the mall or something," he says, walking around and standing in front of me.

"Today?" I ask. "But the weather—"

"We can still stay outside," he says, cutting me off. He glances around us and continues, "There are too many people in here."

"Okay," I say slowly, even though I know that Caleb is a people person. "I'll ask our friends if they are free."

"Don't invite them," he says quickly.

I raise my eyebrows. "You don't want to hang out with our friends?"

He blinks. "I want to. . ." He trails off, gesturing wildly at his hands, as if he doesn't know what to do with them.

I'm about to fish my phone out of my pocket when he stops me by holding my arm.

"Yes?"

Caleb is acting weird by the minute. I'm the odd one here, not him. He's reversing our roles.

"It's just. . ." His face is downcast; I can't see his expression. "You went out with Alex yesterday. The two of you."

I wait for him to continue, but he doesn't, so I prompt him. "And?"

"Can we go out today?" He asks, still staring down. I don't know what's fascinating with the ground. "Just the two of us."

"The two of us?" I ask, tilting my head to the side.

He clears his throat. "Why are you repeating what I say?" he says.

"Where are we going?"

"Heaven."

I roll my eyes. "Sure, let's go," I say, sarcasm dripping in my voice. "Should we hail a cab or something?"

He scratches the back of his neck. "I'm just kidding."

"So where are we going?"

"Just leave it to me."

"Fine," I say.

He seldom asks favor, so I agree. Besides, I don't have anything to do. Aside from reading, of course. And talking to Daniel.

I stand up from the swing and let Caleb lead the way home. We walk side by side; our arms almost brushing. It's kind of unusual; he's not his speaking the way he used to.

I glance at him sideways. Maybe he can be silent if he wants to.

I'm so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even notice that we're in front of Margarett's house.

"Let's meet again after an hour," Caleb says.

"Alright," I say.

I take a shower, and then go to my room to search for something to wear.

I see the bag which contains the shirt that Alex bought for me. I can't wear it today. It's embarrassing even though Caleb doesn't know that it's a couple shirts.

I get the first thing I see in my cabinet— a V-neck with Le Petit Prince printed on the front. And then, like usual, I wear my jeans and sneakers.

As if I have another option.

"Where are you going?" Margarett asks me when she sees me from the kitchen doorway.

"Out."

She raises her eyebrows. "Where?"

"I don't know," I say. "Caleb didn't tell me."

Her mouth tugs at the corners. "Is it a date?"

I gape at her. "Of course not!" I say incredulously. "We'll just go out, simple as that."

"A boy and a girl going out without a chaperone is considered a date."

Does she want to be a chaperone?

I shake my head. Margarett should stop watching those TV Series. They're getting into her head.

"Caleb is just a friend," I remind her.

"Just," she says amusedly. "A boy can't just be friends with a girl."

I roll my eyes. When she starts on her teasing spree, she won't stop. "I need to go," I say, strapping my bag on my shoulder.

She waves and calls out, "Be back before midnight! Wear protection!"

I double take, stopping on my track. "What?"

She smiles sweetly and says, "Just to be safe."