My Imaginary Boyfriend *Reality Check

Hi! :)

The song is Dreamlover by Mariah Carey. Banner by Fallingleaves18

Thank you for reading my story ♥

*****

"Aren't you wondering why you're still alive?"

"I've thought about that."

"It's because God has a plan for you," Alex says, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

I can't help but scoff. "Yeah, right." He wants me to have a horrible life. Hooray!

Alex stares at me like he's seeing me for the first time.

"What?" I say uneasily.

"Did something happen to you before?" he asks gently. "To not make you believe?"

I tear my eyes away from him, afraid that he can read my morbid past just by looking at me. I used to believe in God. Before. When I was a kid. I even prayed but when I realized it will give me nothing, I stopped.

At that, another memory from the past resurfaces from my mind.

"Children, don't forget to pray before you sleep," Sister Madeleine reminds us.

"We always pray at night," Alex replies smoothly.

Sister Madeleine smiles affectionately at Alex before turning the lights off.

And then complete darkness consumes us. I lay on my bed and I'm about to pray when someone nudges me on my elbow.

"What?" I whisper. I can't see anything, and it's so quite, I'm afraid there's a ghost beside me.

"It's me," Alex whispers.

"What do you want?"

"Have you talked to God already?" he asks.

"Not yet."

"Let's do it together," he suggests.

"Okay," I agree.

He guides me as we both kneel at the edge of my bed. It's not always when Alex wants to pray with me, especially when the other kids play boy games so I am excluded. I grab this chance to be with him. Clasping my hands together, I wait for him to take the lead.

"Hello, God," he starts, "I am Alex, and beside me is the most important person to me. Her name is Alyson."

"Hi, Daddy God," I whisper shyly.

"God, thank you for this day," Alex continues. "I had a great time playing with my friends. Thank you for giving me ice cream for dessert." He nudges me, a sign that it's my turn.

"God, thank you for giving Alex as my friend," I say. "And thank you for the food we ate today."

"God, I'm sorry I pushed Tommy earlier," Alex whispers. "He started it! He was annoying, and he irritated Alyson so I had to stop him. I didn't want my playmates to tease Alyson just because she has a birthmark. God, that's bad, right? So. . . please forgive me. And I'm sorry I got another extra cookie on the pantry even though Sister Agatha said not to. I'm sorry, God."

Alex had a fight with Tommy earlier? And he ate an extra cookie? I did not know that. "God, please forgive Alex. He was just trying to protect me from those evil kids. Oops, sorry, God, I did not mean to say that they're evil." Alex chuckles softly and I giggle. "I'm sorry I cut the hair of Jelly's doll. I did it because she stole Marie's favorite toy. Sorry, God, I won't do it again."