My Imaginary Boyfriend *Interrogation

"Where did you go?" Kamille asks. "What did you do?" She's sitting in front of me, her eyes wide with interest.

"Kamille," I say exasperatedly, "how many times do I have to tell you that nothing happened?"

Well, something did happen. Caleb kissed me on my forehead without my permission. But I don't want to think about it. Kamille will surely assume that there's something going on. Her brain is wired up with stories. She should be a writer for making stories that aren't true.

"We just stayed in my room," I continue.

She gasps. "In your room!" Her eyes are round as saucers.

I scowl at her, and look around to check if there are people who can hear our conversation. I don't care what people think, but I don't want them to get the wrong idea that just because Caleb stayed with me yesterday—

"Lise! Spill," Kamille says, interrupting my thoughts.

"Don't be ridiculous," I mutter. "Nothing happened! I was sick, and he took care of me. He blamed himself because he thought he was the reason I got the flu."

Kamille frowns. "You make it sound like it's not a big deal."

I want to clean her dirty thoughts. This is tiring; telling her what happened, when in the first place, nothing was worth sharing.

"Because it is not a big deal," I say, stressing the words out.

"What's not a big deal?" Caleb asks, taking the seat beside me. I wonder why he's just coming in now. We came to school together.

"Shoot! I need to go," Kamille says. "I don't wanna be late on first period. I'll see you guys later!" She quickly hurries out of the room, leaving me with the curious gaze of Caleb. Traitor.

"What was that about?"

"Nothing," I say, putting a smile on my face.

His mouth twitches upwards. "I can distinguish the fake one from the sincere one," he says playfully.

I'm about to retort when I remember what he did yesterday; the way he took care of me, making sure I ate, and keeping me entertain. He'd be a great. . . Doctor.

I almost laugh at how weird my mind is going.

In the corner of my eyes I see Caleb watching me. "Are you daydreaming?"

"No!" I automatically put my hand over my mouth.

He starts to laugh; he's even clutching his stomach.

Our classmates glance at him, but he pays them no attention. "You thought I was going to kiss you?"

"Shut up, you jerk!" I snap. I can feel the blood rising to my face.

Caleb pinches my cheek and says, "Don't be embarrassed." He leans closer and about to whisper something when the school bell rings.

He pulls away, and I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding.

Why do I suddenly feel guilty for cheating on Daniel?

The rest of the period passed by in a blur. I do my best to ignore Caleb and his antics.

I don't even know why there's school today, which is a Saturday. I should have been in my room reading a book, or maybe writing. I need to continue Alyson's story. Daniel will ask about it the next time we meet.

I suddenly miss Daniel. It feels like I haven't talked to him for a very long time. I hope he'll not be sad—

Wait.