Chapter 17

As moons pass, newleaf fading into the warm days of greenleaf, then to leaffall, they leave moonfrost exhausted and wary. Her limbs had grown grong from travel and hard living, her fur matted and patchy from lack of grooming. She had traveled the land beyond the moonpool, but the rain and weather sense her clan had left had washed away any hope of a trace. Her heart aching, moonfrost decided to head back to lionclan. At least they didn't abandon her.
She paused at the scent marker, hoping to catch a patrol. Deciding to stay here until lion clan passed this way, she crouched and scented the air, determined to catch something as a present.
**************
Stalking back to the border, moonfrost proudly dragged a large squirrel the size of a small cat after her. Ears twitching, she looked up at the sun, realizing that it was dipping below the horizon, casting long shadows across the clearing she sat in. The ferns ahead of her shivered a moment before Stormtail and a young apprentice padded out. Stormtail stopped and scented the air, eyes widening.
Moonfrost purred, waving her thick tail in the air to catch their attention. The apprentice was suddenly hostile, his fur bristling and he bounced up to the border, spitting.
"Get away from our border, rogue!" He hissed, clearly undaunted by Moonfrost's larger size.
"Slashpaw, put your claws away, you mouse brained idiot!" Stormtail hissed as he stalked up, shouldering the smaller cat away. "Sorry, Moonfrost. Some cats can't seem to grow out of their kit fur." He meowed, shooting a stern glance at Slashpaw.
Offended, Slashpaw fluffed out his dark tabby fur, glaring with hostel amber eyes. "Rogues don't belong in Lionclan territory." He growled.
"This isn't a rogue, This is a guest. Come on Moonfrost, let's head back to camp... Onestar would be happy to see you."
Shocked, Moonfrost stared at stormtail. "Firestar..?" She whimpered, pain piercing her heart like jagged claws.
"Sadly, Firestar died rescuing Applefur from a badger." Stormtail looked suddenly defeated, his tail drooping.
Moonfrost stared at him in disbelief, a deep ache forming in her chest, making it hard to breath, and she bowed her head, eyes misting. "I came back too late. I shouldn't have left at all, I never found stormclan..."
"You are back now, don't worry. It is time for us to go back. Come with us. Please? Onestar will be waiting." Stormtail had drawn closer, brushing his tail down her flank lightly.
Moonfrost lifted her head, blinking away her pain, she nodded, and followed Stormtail and Slashpaw into the heart of lion clan territory.