XVIII

“Ska! Are you done? Oh my gosh you’ve been in there for ages! I only told you to smell like someone new, not shower into someone new!” Maddy yelped and pounded on the bathroom door.

I looked around me in confusion and realised that I was still in the shower. I turned the shower tap off and stood in front of the bathroom sink. On the side of the sink were the clothes that I brought in the shower just now. I dried my hair and body quickly and slipped into the exact clothes I thought I have worn. I opened the bathroom door and saw Maddy sitting on the bed, using her mobile phone.

“Finally! Ska, why do you look so pale? Are you unwell?” Maddy asked worriedly.

“I’m fine. Hey, listen, did you at any point leave the room? Or did you see me walk out of the shower earlier?” I enquired.

“What are you talking about, Ska? You’ve been in the shower for a whole forty-five minutes and I was nowhere else but here- waiting for you. Are you really okay?” Maddy asked and approached me. She placed her hands in mine and looked at me intently.

“I’m fine. Just really tired, that’s all. Well, are they still here?” I spoke and Maddy informed me that they were still downstairs. She was about to pull me out of the room to meet the rest downstairs when I tugged her right back in.

“I believe you owe me something?” I sneered and sat on the leather chair, putting on light make-up. Maddy smiled awkwardly and sat on the bed. She cleared her throat and began the revelation.

I smiled wide and proud after Maddy ended her story-telling. It turned out that Royce and her have been dating for quite some time and they have decided to make it official last night. Maddy told me that they were going to tell the rest of us on New Year’s Eve and I asked if Ian knew.

“All along,” Maddy replied and I hugged her tight.

“The two of you look cute together! Love you, my new cousin-in-law!” I exclaimed and Maddy swatted my arm. She told me to hush and jumped up from the bed, as though she remembered something important.

“Talking about cute couples, your ‘Mr Perfect’ called! Go and call him back! I’ll wait for you downstairs!” Maddy said and winked at me. I took my mobile and dialled Oliver’s number, waiting impatiently for him to pick up.

“Baby, I miss you!” Oliver exclaimed when he answered the call. I told him the same and we talked for ten minutes. Oliver updated me on his career and I told him that the band and I will have our first official meeting tomorrow. He wished me the best and offered words of encouragement. We exchanged the usual ‘I love yous’ and ended the call. I placed my mobile in one of the many pockets of my pants and trotted down the stairs to the living room where all the band members were.