III

27 December 2014

Huntington Beach, California

“WE ARE HERE!” Felix exclaimed as he jumped off the Hummer. Royce had taken Ian’s place from the diner and drove the remaining way to Huntington Beach. He parked directly outside a beautiful beach house and the rest of the gang and I proceeded to collect our bags. Maddy ran towards the door and rang the doorbell. Seconds later, an elderly lady in a beige tunic dress opened the door and hugged Maddy tight. The rest of us went to the door and the elderly lady hugged Ian tight.

“Guys, this is my Godgranny that I was talking about! Her name’s Granny Anna,” Maddy introduced Granny Anna to us.

“Oh guys, just call me Aunt Anna! That would suffice!” Aunt Anna exclaimed as she gave us a wink. My cousins and I introduced ourselves to Aunt Anna and got a hug each. We would all be residing at Aunt Anna’s for the whole of our stay here in Huntington Beach. Aunt Anna knew the reason of our visit and she had offered for us to stay with her when Mrs Lewis informed her about our trip.

Aunt Anna showed our rooms and I shared a room with Maddy. It was a huge room and it had the view of the beach. Royce shared a room with Ian while Alex bunked with Felix. The next hour was spent unpacking and freshening ourselves up. I managed to call my parents and Oliver and informed them that we have arrived safely in Huntington Beach. By the time we have settled down, it was late in the afternoon and Aunt Anna was making us drinks in the kitchen.

“Aunt Anna, Maddy told me you owned a diner?” I enquired. Aunt Anna made mugs of hot chocolate and placed them on the counter top. She offered me a mug and sat with me.

“I actually do, Scarlett. It’s nearby! Would you like to visit?” she asked and smiled warmly. I was actually impressed that she was still active and was a businesswoman at her age. I nodded and plopped a marshmallow in my hot chocolate. It tasted heavenly.

“Why don’t you drop by later tonight? It’s 24 hours and we serve the best late-night snack here in Huntington Beach! And who knows, you might just bump into one of our A7X boys,” Aunt Anna suggested and chuckled. Maddy and I giggled and we went to inform the guys. The guys agreed as they sipped on their delicious hot chocolate.

We sat around in Aunt Anna’s balcony facing the beach as we shared our memorable experiences in Las Vegas with her. Maddy and Ian bought her Christmas gifts from Vegas and Royce, Alex and Felix took their turns sharing their most favourite moment in Vegas.

“I definitely love the time we raced in the supercars!” Alex exclaimed.

“I loved the Helicopter ride across the Grand Canyon!” Ian and Royce said simultaneously.

“Obviously the carbaret and the clubs and the girls!” Felix cried out and we stared at him menacingly. He covered his mouth with his hand upon realising that Aunt Anna was there. Aunt Anna roared with laughter at the look of our faces.

“The girls were definitely great, I agree!” Aunt Anna joked as she patted Felix’s back and winked at us. We burst into laughter and continued sharing. When it came to my turn, everyone had their eyes and ears on me.

“So what was your favourite moment in Vegas, Scarlett?” Aunt Anna asked.