II

24 January 2008

The Watson's Residence, Knightsbridge -

Brixton Academy, London

The Watson's Residence was huge. It had five bedrooms and it was well-furbished. Mum was a renowned painter and Dad owned a successful Events Management company. Dad played an influential role in the music industry and also owned a music recording company. Apart from that, he heavily funded music schools in the UK and had several music storesworldwide. Due to their occupations, the living room was vastly decorated with Mum's paintings and framed autographed-posters of famous music figures from all around the world.

I turned off the shower tap and reached for the towel in my state-of-the-art bathroom. As I was drying my body, I heard Mum knocking incessantly on the bathroom door.

"Ska, hurry up! Dad is already waiting for you outside! You guys cannot be late!" She nagged. I slipped into my skinny jean and put on my favourite Avenged Sevenfold band tee and blow-dried my hair. Once those light brown strands were dried, I tied them up in a tight ponytail and put my Ray-Bans on. I stepped out of the bathroom and into Mum's arms.

"I still love you, though!" I teased. Mum smacked my bottom and kissed my cheeks. She walked with me to Dad's Bentley and we sped to Brixton Academy.

It was already half past eight in the morning and the stage crew were on stools, waiting for instructions from the stage manager. They stood up and greeted Dad and I when we walked towards them. The assistant stage manager, Eddie, alerted Dad that they have yet to receive instructions from the stage manager.

"Alright guys, there are some changes for today. But before that, the expectations," Dad started. It was strange having the CEO to brief his employees but Dad insisted on using a more personal approach with them. Dad was going on and on about his usual expectations and I pretended to be listening. I have been helping my dad's company for four years and I basically have his expectations drilled into my thick skull.

"Today, your Stage Manager is Scarlett!" Dad exclaimed as the stage crew applauded and cheered. My mouth hung in surprise as I could not believe what was being said. I was going to be the Stage Manager for an Avenged Sevenfold's concert in Brixton Academy!

"Close your mouth!" Dad whispered and laughed. I turned crimson and placed my Ray-Bans on the top of my head, using it as a makeshift headband, securing my long fringe as Dad handed me a blue folder.

"Here's the floorplan of the stage. We need all these to be done by noon before the band comes for soundcheck," Dad instructed. I browsed through it and half nodded my head, still in disbelief. Dad dismissed the briefing and told everyone to be back in five minutes. He then took my hand and brought me to the stage.

"I know how much you love Avenged Sevenfold, Ska. I thought that this was what you wanted to do. And I'm sure my babygirl can do it! She's been working with her Daddy for so long!" Dad encouraged. I felt a teardrop cruising down my cheek as I hugged my dad tight. It was what I have wanted to do all these while. There were not enough words of gratitude that could express how thankful I was so I settled with repetition.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, Dad! This means the whole world to me! I'll be the best Stage Manager and I'll make you proud! Thank you, Dad! Thank you so much!" I hugged my dad tighter and said. Dad held me at an arm's length and kissed my forehead.

"Now, get to work! You don't have much time!" he ordered and I jogged to backstage where the stage crew were patiently waiting. I shared the floorplan of the stage with them and assigned duties to the stage crew. Eddie assisted me in the props and the technical equipments.