Chapter Four

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Four: The Runaway Prince

Alice was singing several octaves higher than the radio, and wasn't shy about doing so. She completely ignored the fact that I was a tad uncomfortable with car rides, seeing as I was just in an accident two weeks prior; she made that clear by driving an easy fifty miles over the designated speed limit. I was clutching onto the door handle of the car firmly, I was sure that this ride was not going to end simply. Alice, though, didn't seem to notice my discomfort. 

She insisted on taking me out for some clothes; as all of mine were gone. These people have basically kidnapped me, in case you are wondering. I did try to mention taking me back to my house, but Alice seemed fairly heartbroken at that, and insisted that it wasn't in my best interests in doing so. Whenever the argument came up around him, Edward seemed to take my side. 

Alice didn't like that. 

I needed something to do to take my mind off of the road, and the speed at which we were traveling it. Nosy as it seemed, I began to snoop in the consoles of the car. There wasn't really much of interest, some junk papers, advertisements, coupon booklets, empty cd cases. I only paused when I came across a photograph. It was a family photo of the Cullens; I examined it. In the back was Carlisle and Esme, smiling happily; proud of their family. Alice and Jasper (whom I had met on my third day with the family, although he didn't say much) were kneeling down in the front, in a subtlety romantic embrace. Edward and the one I had found out to be Rosalie were flanking towards the edges, smiling politely.  

My eyes, though, fell towards the man kneeling in the middle. He was clearly very much taller than the others, and his broad shoulders carried many, many muscles that were clearly visible through the gray t-shirt he was wearing. His face, too, was very masculine; with strong aristocratic features. He had dimples, you could see them in his large smile; and his golden eyes were alight with mischief. I couldn't help but smile at him. However, I noted too, that the Cullens had never mentioned this man to me. 

"Hey, Alice?" I tore my eyes from the photograph, "Who is this?" 

The cheery attitude that she was wearing moments before faded, and she turned down the music so as to allow me to hear her explanation. "That is Emmett. He is also my brother." I waited, expecting her to explain a little more, but when she didn't I spoke up to ask. 

"Your brother? Why haven't I met him? Where is he?" 

"He left." Alice put simply. "The day he brought you here." 

"What?!" I exclaimed, surprised. "He brought me here?!" Vaguely my mind went into the girlish thoughts of me being wrapped in those muscular arms, being carried away from my almost certain death.... 

I shook away those thoughts, blushing. Alice continued. "Yes, Mary. He rescued you." 

"But why did he leave?" 

Alice paused cautiously, pursing her small pink lips in thought.. "It is hard to explain, Mary. It isn't exactly my place to tell you." There was a longer pause after she said that. "Anyways, we are here. And this is a girl day, not one for family complications." 

I sighed, shaking away the mystery though it didn't leave my mind. "Right. Shopping." 

Alice grinned at me, her cheery mood back; she spoke in eager agreement, "Shopping."

That girl could move. Alice bounded from shop to shop; not bothering to browse for herself, only searching for things that she could force me to try on. I think it is fair to estimate that I had spent at least two hours behind those dressing room walls at the Portland Mall while she threw more and more ridiculous outfits overtop and underneath the door. 

Despite how pessimistic that may sound, I have to admit. I did manage to find a wardrobe worth of clothing that I actually found liking to my taste. Then came the mountain of shoes, and the massive amount of accessories and bags.  

I felt really, really awkward when Alice pulled out her debit card. It was one thing to browse and try things on. I didn't really expect anyone to buy me anything. I tried to turn around and put everything back, but for someone so small, Alice really could put up a fight when she is determined to do something. And boy, trust me, that is an understatement. 

"Alice, you really shouldn't have bought all of this for me." I pleaded as we left the mall and headed for the silver Volvo that we borrowed from Edward. "We can still take it back." 

"Don't you even start, Mary." Alice gave me another dark look at my incisiveness. "Besides, you're family now and you can't keep wearing my clothes."  

I shut up, taken aback. You're family now. It was something I didn't expect to hear. There was one thing I was sure of; I surely didn't consider myself to be a part of their family. I was nothing compared to them. Nothing compared to their beauty, nothing compared to their status, and nothing compared to their wealth. 

Much less the fact that I feel as if I had outstayed my welcome. Besides, I had only been here two weeks with the Cullens; I didn't expect them to take so well to me; neither the other way around. 

Alice saw the look on my face and read my mind; she reached over and grasped my hand reassuringly. "You are family, Mary. No matter how short of time we have known each other; I feel like I've known you forever." Alice smiled, trying to get me to return one. 

The one I managed was less than satisfactory.  

And with that, even though I didn't know him, and even if I wasn't sure it was true; my mind went back to the man in the photograph. I didn't mean to say it out loud. "Not everyone wants me here, do they?" 

Alice made my eyes hold to hers when she answered me. "You need to trust me, Mary." She was being very firm, and very sure of herself. "I think that Emmett wants you here, more than you know. Possibly more than any of us." 

"I'm the reason he left." Alice never told me that, but I was clever enough to derive that from the moment she said that he had left the day I arrived. 

Alice didn't argue with me. Instead she gave my hand a reassuring squeeze and started the car. "He'll come back. I know he will." 

While she was very certain with herself, I didn't speak the whole way back to their home. I just watched the passing gray clouds in silence; thinking of everything I had learned today. Emmett saved me, and even still I drove him away. The Cullens had been so kind to me; even when their own son abandoned them, and even when I was the reason. A lump had formed in my throat, and it wasn't just because of being grateful at their compassion and hospitality; but of sorrow and emptiness. 

The Cullens may have wanted me to be a part of their family, but I knew in my heart that I would never stop feeling like an outsider, like I don't belong. No amount of time, love, and girlish shopping trips were ever going to change that. 

There was something about these people, something I couldn't quite put my finger on; but it was keeping me from feeling at ease with them, it was keeping me from being a true part of them and their family. Alice could pretend all that she could; but there was no ignoring the elephant in the room. I didn't belong with them.