Chapter Twenty-Four

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies

Chapter Twenty-Four: Shocker

“I believe,” said Aro clasping his hands together thoughtfully in front of his handsome face. “That you may be what I like to call, and intupath.” Aro was the leader of the Volturi coven, the head honcho, the el numero uno, the king. Whatever you would wish to refer to him as. Aro was in his mid to late twenties and was incredibly handsome.

“A what?” I asked him suddenly.

Aro took a breath and began to pace around in front of me. I was quite curious after I had been summoned by him suddenly after spending a little over a year with the coven, I had expected whatever it was to have been bad. Aro placed a hand on my shoulder before he spoke again, trying to be inconspicuous about gathering my thoughts. “You have spent a long while among the Cullen family and you have no doubt witnessed what they are able to do.”

“Of course,” I began, “Jasper can decipher and control emotions, Alice can see the future, and Edward can read minds. Pardon me, sir, but I don’t exactly see how any of that applies to me as I can do neither.”

Aro patiently directed me to an open chair in his office, setting me down and speaking kindly. “Of course, my dear, you are looking at it entirely wrong. A vampire’s ability does not manifest itself in the same way other’s do, meaning no two vampires will ever have the same exact talent. What you can do, Mary, is not as strong or as intense as what your siblings can do, but instead a dulled mixture of all three.”

“I don’t think I completely understand, sir.” I admitted stupidly.

Aro paused for a minute, thinking of a better way to word his previous statement. “Mary, have you ever had that feeling, a feeling that something terrible or incredible is about to happen?”

“Yes,” I answered.

“What about this; have you ever been able to look at someone and just know what it is they are thinking or feeling, maybe even absorb or decipher their intentions?” Aro’s glazed over crimson eyes were alight with insight and excitement.

“Yes, but sir, it is never perfectly,”

“Perfectly clear?” Aro finished knowledgably. “It’s more like a very potent intuition then?”

“Exactly.” I finished.

Aro smiled; clearly I had made his point for him. “Exactly.”

Aro stood up and moved around towards me, taking hold of one of my hands and staring into my now yellow eyes. Here was the one place I wasn’t ever really tempted to stray from the diet I had always been taught, and none of the Volturi ever pressured me into giving into their ways. I was glad for that.

“My dear,” Aro began softly. “You have been with us for over a year already, I would like to offer you a more…permanent arrangement here among us. If you would like that of course.”

I knew immediately what my choice was, without even having to think it. For in the exact moment the offer had exited his lips, Emmett’s broad face split across my mind. “That is very kind of you, Aro, but I have already made promises about my return that I intend to keep.”

Aro released my hand and waved his dismissively. “Of course, of course. I understand completely. However, my offer will always stand, you are welcome here as long as you would like to be and you may, of course, return back to America whenever you wish.”

“That you, sir.” I said as I stood up from my chair and headed for the large mahogany door. “Is that all you have summoned to speak to me about?”

“Yes, Mary.” Aro finished, opening the door and holding it for me. “You may go back to your activities.”

I danced up the stone steps and towards my room. It may seem weird to everyone around me, but I had actually grown fond of this place and the people here. They were not at all entirely disgusting as people had made them out to be.

Sure they could be cruel and harsh, but someone has to enforce the rules, and naturally that makes that person or people fairly unpopular. However, they do it because they have to. If no one kept hold to the rules and the punishments, vampires would wreak havoc on mankind like hell.

Aro was very patient and compassionate; he simple showed it in a different way than Carlisle had. Aro had an enthusiasm about absolutely everything in life, or death, which you would have expected would have worn off after the centuries he had spent here.

Caius had a very rough exterior, but once you had gotten on his good side, he seemed to be a lot like Edward had been. Caius was very smart and very artistic, and deep down, even though he absolutely wouldn’t admit it to anyone and hates to show it, he was very kind.

Marcus was quiet and shy, but his mind was full of knowledge and compassion beyond that of anyone that I have ever known. Marcus has got to be single handedly the most gentle and self-sacrificing man that I have ever gotten to know.

And then there were the others; Jane, Demetri, Felix, Alec, and Heidi. Each of them were so entirely different from one another, and yet they still meshed together perfectly, like a family. While the Volturi were not quite as functional as the Cullens were, they still counted as a family because they truly did care for each other.

And even more strange, they had grown to care for me.

Only now did I really understand why Carlisle had sent me here of all places, because he had said that these were the kind of people I would need to get to know in order to discover a lot about myself. He had been very right in his assumption. This family was the other side of me, the side that I had always been afraid to embrace.

While the Cullen family was always good and kind and sweet, there had always been something missing for me that since of belonging and purpose, power even. I had always felt like the odd one out. It was different for me here, the Volturi had always given me a job and I had always had something to do. It felt good knowing that I was actually doing something productive and not merely existing.

I was lost in my thoughts when someone caught my hand and began pulling me down the steps and towards the main trial room. Caius. “Where are we going?”

“Mary, you aren’t going to want to miss this.” Caius said plainly, “In fact, I think that you’d be excited to see your dearest brother. Edward, I believe his name is.”

“Edwards’s here?!” I asked, suddenly cheery. I wondered if his appearance would have changed any, but then again probably not.

“Don’t sound too please, Mary,” Caius warned, “He has come to us for a reason.”

“What’s that?” I asked. Had Edward been sent to come here and get me, to take me back where I had come from. Maybe the Cullens were moving again and he was assuring that I wouldn’t get lost if I had decided to come back to Forks and find and empty house.

“He’s is coming to ask for death.”