Chapter Seven

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Seven: A Fork In The Road

Jasper glanced back at me from the rear view mirror of his black Mercedes Benz, yellow eyes teasing. "So, Louie; you and Emmett?" Edward joined him in light laughter. I was spending a day with the Cullen kids, hitting all the best coffee and book shops and just relaxing enjoying ourselves. To my irritation, this also included Emmett. There was a stroke of luck that we had to take separate cars because there were so many of us. 

I shot daggers back at them both. "Go shove it; both of you." 

Rosalie agreed; "Seriously guys, grow up. In case you forgot, I didn't exactly see her kissing him back." Her words were in my favor; but her expression matched her bothers'. All three of them laughed; sharing humor at my expense. 

"Gee, thanks Rose." I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms; suddenly intent on the outside surroundings. It was embarrassing enough that they had all seen what had taken place, but they didn't have to tease me endlessly about it. 

"You know," Edward mused, "We could always pull over; I'm sure Emmett will give you a lift." 

"Ha ha, Edward. Kiss my ass." Turns out, I had broken my hand when I punched Emmett the day before; and it was beginning to throb the more irritated I became with them. 

"OoOo, she bites back." Jasper replied. 

"Are we there yet?" 

"Why, getting annoyed?" 

"Yes," Jasper answered Edward's question for me with a mischievous grin, "Can't you tell?" 

I growled a little in frustration; I had had enough. "Stop the damn car!" I had opened the door before they car had pulled to the right shoulder of the two lane road; I hadn't been wearing a seat belt, so my exit was hasty.  

"Where are you going?" Rosalie asked after me confused, poking her beautiful blonde locks out of the door I had left open. A few passing cars of college men honked at her excitedly, yelling pickup lines out the window. Rosalie ignored them, "Come on Lou, get back in the car; they'll leave you alone." 

I ignored her, and kept walking. I was stubborn, and although I didn't know where we were going, I refused to turn around and look. Jasper kept my pace easily as they drove right next to me. "No thank you." I said curtly, "I'd rather walk." 

Edward took one glace in the side mirror and nudged his bother forward devilishly. "Fine, Louie; suit yourself." With that, Edward rolled up the window and Jasper drove so that he was kept about a hundred feet in front of me; not letting me out of their sight. I let out a sigh of relief; at least I wouldn't have to listen to it anymore. 

Honk. Honk. 

Mentally I cursed, knowing all too well exactly why Edward and Jasper were having such an easy laugh leaving me on the side of the road. A large red Jeep Wrangler pulled up next to me; it was set high on monster-truck wheels, the top down and all doors missing. From the driver seat Emmett grinned at me. "Well hello there, miss. Need a ride?" 

I didn't even look over; not giving him the time of day. I just kept my pace as if I hadn't even noticed his appearance. I could see him shaking with silent laughter at my stubborn, headstrong attitude. I glared viciously towards the back of the black Mercedes; only able to imagine Edward, Jasper, and Rosalie in stitches at the scene. 

"I'm not going to leave you here, Louie." A shot of anger boiled through me when he had called me by the nickname the Cullens had all adopted for me; I really hated the fact that Emmett had begun to use it as well.  

"It's Mary to you." 

Emmett continued, a playful grin still dancing along his lips. Clearly he was glad that he had gotten me to speak. Mentally I cursed myself for not holding my tongue like I had intended to. "Carlisle and Esme would be pissed if they knew I had left you to walk the whole way." 

I ignored him, and kept walking. I didn't care how childish I was being. There was no way in hell I was giving in and letting everyone have another joke on me. Just because I was completely and totally crushing on Emmett, didn't mean I had to let anyone else see it. 

"If you don't get in on your own," Emmett continued in a silky voice, "I'm just going to come over and pull you in. We can do it the easy way, or the hard way." 

"Don't you have anything better to do?" I asked irritably, "Or do you plan on wasting your life simply to get under my skin?" 

Emmett shrugged nonchalantly. "I've got all the time in the world; you can play hard to get for as long as you'd like, Mary Louise Renner, but eventually you won't be able to resist me." 

I laughed sarcastically; little did he know, I was already putty in his pale muscular hands. "Aren't you Mr. Humble. Do you really think you can just show up here out of nowhere and seduce a girl that you know nothing about?" 

"Yes." 

"Well," I continued. "You're wrong. I'm not like other girls, Emmett. I don't crush on guys simply because they out-of-this-world beautiful. And quite frankly; you don't have anything else to offer than that, so if you are looking to make me fall for you, give up now." 

"You don't know me." Emmett pointed out plainly, my words had stung him as an insult, but he didn't care to let me see that. "I am not what you think I am, Lou." He paused before speaking again with an irritated sigh, "At least get in the car; I don't expect you to give me anything else. I just don't want you to walk." 

I sighed, my feet really did hurt; as Alice had stuck me in heels today, insisting that they matched my white and yellow floral sundress perfectly. As if he could sense that I had given in, he brought the Jeep to a stop, allowing me to climb in with some necessary effort. When I had situated in my seat, Emmett grinned triumphantly; opening his mouth to speak. 

"Don't. Say. A. Word." 

He closed his ajar mouth immediately, leaning over me and fastening the complicated seat restraints, being very careful not to touch my skin. The fact that he was so close to me, and his face less than an inch from mine, sent my heart to the Olympics; I held my breath as if that would make it better. 

Once he was satisfied that I was firmly secure in the seat, probably to ensure that I wasn't able to make a break for it, Emmett drove forward, catching up to the Mercedes effortlessly. I refused to look into the car, knowing that seeing Edward and Jasper howling with laughter would send me into a fit of rage. 

I really didn't want to face them three at all right now, or any time today. I swallowed hard before I dared speak to Emmett, fearing that he would take my request the wrong way entirely. "Hey, Emmett?" My voice was quiet and vulnerable, it took him by surprise. 

His eyes were wide and careful, clearly taken aback by my lack of attitude. "Yeah?" Emmett didn't take his eyes off the road to answer me; being cautious. 

"Can we...not be around the others today?" 

"What?!" Emmett whipped his head to look at me, amazed at my question. "You mean, go somewhere alone with me?" 

I couldn't believe I was asking this. "Yeah." 

Emmett kept following Jasper for a few more moments, pondering it over. It looked as if here were fighting something in his mind, though I didn't think too much into it. Once he was able, he turned onto a side street and headed for the edge of town. Jasper didn't turn around to follow. 

I didn't ask where we were going, because I didn't care. I had felt better knowing that I didn't have to hear the endless teasing of the rest of the Cullens, but even more scary and though I would have never of admitted it if I had been asked; I had felt safe with Emmett.