Chapter Nine

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Nine: Las Vegas Lights

Emmett had carried me the entire hike, never once giving me a hint as to where we were going. I had dropped the whole 'sparkle in the sunlight' thing; figuring it simply chalked up to my imagination, and like Emmett said, my lack of sleep. Besides, how insane does that sound? 

Finally Emmett set me down; we had arrived somewhere in the middle of the woods, tall trees enclosed us in the small clearing, Emmett had set me down on a rock that sat directly in the center. "Here you go, seclusion." Emmett beamed proudly at me. 

"Wow." I looked all around me in amazement. It had a beauty that was entirely of its own breed. The air was crisp and clean; the dew sparkled off the leaves of the trees. "Emmett, this place is amazing." 

Emmett laid down beside me, with a shy sidewards smile; "Thanks, Lou. I'm glad you like it." It was really strange seeing him like this; nervous. 

"How on earth did you find this place?" I was still putting an effort to take it all in.  

Emmett shrugged. "I spend a lot of time outside." 

"I'll say." 

"So." Emmett began, that famous smile back on his face, "Is this our place?" 

There was more to his words than for me to simply keep his hide out a secret. However, there was something in his eyes that was difficult to resist. "I don't know..." 

Emmett didn't take it as a rejection. His was tracing patterns on my yellow cast, his mood still light. I couldn't help but to really look at him; he was so much more beautiful than I had paid attention to before. The way his body moved, the way his muscles contracted fluidly. I loved the way the lights danced in his yellow eyes and his pearly teeth flashed playfully. Gently Emmett lifted my broken hand, bringing it to his lips with a gentle kiss; "Don't try and hit me again, Mary; at least not with your hands." 

A laughed a little, I couldn't help it. "I'll try to resist." If only he knew how honestly irresistible he was to me in those little moments. If he were to have kissed me right then; I would have eagerly went all the way with him. Mentally, my mind went back to the one thing about him that had gotten under my skin, I was unable to stop myself before I had asked. "Why did you leave?" 

I half expected him to get angry with me, or to become hard and defensive. Emmett, however, surprised me by softening his voice; he was being sincere, possibly the most he had ever been with me. "I didn't want to hurt you, Mary." 

I was confused, but when I had opened my mouth to ask questions, he interrupted me. "Please, Mary. I know you want to ask; but you have to trust that I can't tell you all that I want to right now. Please." 

I was uncertain, but strangely trusting. I swallowed my questions anyway. I sighed my mind drifting elsewhere; to those promising Los Angeles beaches I had so looked forward to spending my summer on. Emmett sensed my change in mind and let out a breath; "What are you thinking about?" He eventually asked me. 

I answered him honestly; I didn't meet his smoldering yellow eyes afraid that they would reveal too much sadness. "My summer vacation. My mom and I were on our was to L.A. I was really looking forward to it is all." 

Emmett was quiet for a moment. Pondering. It was then that his wrenched a silver cell phone out of his pants pocket and dialed. A few rings later, there was a voice on the other end. "Yeah, Edward; everything's fine. I just called to say that Mary and I won't be home for a few days, I'm taking her on the trip of a lifetime," Emmett paused to give my shocked face a reassuring wink. "Oh shut it, Edward it isn't like that... Yeah ... Uh-huh ... I know... Alright... You to ... Bye." 

"A trip?" I asked as soon as he closed the phone, "I wasn't aware that I agreed to it." 

"You didn't." Emmett answered plainly, "You asked for one." 

"The hell I did!" My attitude was back; it was nice to recognize a sliver of me again. 

Emmett ignored me, "Come on, we better hit the road if we want to get there by nightfall." 

"Where are we even going? We can't get to Los Angeles by night." I complained snottily. 

"That's because we aren't going to L.A., smarty." Emmett answered, "We are going to Las Vegas." 

I looked at him skeptically. That was even further of a drive than L.A, but I dropped that suddenly remembering something. "What about my clothes. I can't go wearing this for a 'few days'." I gave a pathetic attempt to mock his voice at the end. 

Emmett ignored my harsh demeanor and hoisted me off the ground; his answer to all my problems was simple, "Alice will know where to send them. 

"This was a really stupid idea, Emmett." I complained. Much to both my horror and surprise, we had reached the grand city of Las Vegas within a few hours; Emmett had already booked a hotel room, and Alice had already shipped our necessities. "What on earth made you think I would want to be stuck in the city of sins with you." 

Emmett's laughter boomed through the hallway of the hotel as he slid the key in. He was carrying our bags over his shoulder effortlessly. "Because, Lou, you find me irresistible." 

"Ha. Hilarious." I rolled my eyes as we entered the room. My eyes widened at the sight. Right in the middle of the small room, there was my worst nightmare. "One bed?!" 

Emmett made a seductive purring sound that made my insides curl. 

"Yeah, you'll be enjoying that tons when you're sleeping on the floor."  

Emmett immediately set our bags down, grabbed my wrist and pulled me out the door excitedly. "Hey, wait! Where are we going?!" 

Emmett answered teasingly, "You need something to make you lighten up a little." 

I gasped, shocked and appalled by what he was implying. "Emmett Cullen, don't you dare get it into your head that I'll be drinking." After seven tall one's my tone changed completely. 

There wasn't much that I remembered that night. In fact, what I had just told you is really all I had remembered except for the three words that I was going to pay for eternity. 

We were sitting in a cab, on our way back just before sunrise. I was beyond wasted and probably delusional. The only three words that escaped my lips were these: "Marry me, Emmett."