Chapter Ten

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Ten: Waking Up In Vegas

I groaned as a sudden burst of muffled morning light ran through my eyelids. My head was throbbing and there was a ringing inside of my ears. I felt absolutely terrible; clearly there was no denying that I was hung-over from the night previous. I struggled to open my eyes, and even when I did, it took me a moment to register my surroundings. I was back in the hotel room, tucked into the bed sheets tightly. I had felt a sudden jolt of nausea and clumsily pulled away the covers; making a bolt for the bathroom where my insides promptly fell out. I groaned miserably.  

Word of advice: Don't drink. Ever. 

There was a silky chuckle from the doorway; "Yeah, it will do that to you." I turned around to see him leaning casually handsome against the door frame; smiling bemusedly at me. The nerves of being in his presence made the nausea give a little kick again; I brought my left hand to my mouth cautiously preparing myself. That is when I noticed it. My eyes widened with shock and confusion at first; I looked up at him, begging to hear that this was just a joke. 

Emmett grinned devilishly and shrugged; "Only the best for the new Mrs. Cullen." On my left hand ring finger had to have been, if I dare admit it, the most beautiful diamond ring I had ever seen; it wasn't one of those stupid vending matching beauts that most people receive at these shot gun weddings. Clearly, Emmett had gone out of his way to spend this much on me short notice, and clearly had given it a lot of thought. It was almost enough to ease my irritation. Almost. 

"You're lying." I was clearly in denial. There was just no way that I was going to believe that I was legally married to Emmett Cullen; after only knowing him a few days. "We aren't really married. This is just some sort of sick joke you are playing on me. Best give it up before you really piss me off, Emmett." 

Emmett sighed, though there was nothing melancholy in his voice when he sat down next to me, taking my newly dressed hand inside of his; "Afraid not, doll face. It's you and me now." Emmett placed a teasing peck on my cheek at smiled broadly; and once again, just like any other time we touched, my heart rate increased to a speed demon rate. 

Which brought something to my mind that scared the shit out of me. "Oh my god!" 

Emmett seemed genuinely alarmed at my sudden panic. "What's wrong?!" 

I stood up, pacing the small bathroom nervously. "Oh my god, Oh my god!" I stopped in front of him; looking down into his yellow eyes, terrified. "Emmett .... Did we .... Did we .... You know .... Have ... Sex?" 

His answer shot a pain of pure rage, and another similar pain of nausea through my entire weak body. "Naturally." I made a play for the hairdryer; all intent on murdering him with it. Emmett chuckled, grabbing from my grasp carefully. "Easy, Mary; it was a joke. You actually passed out before we even made it out of the elevator." I let out a sigh of relief and he continued. "Besides, I kind of prefer you to be awake when that happens." 

I almost let a blush flood into my cheeks at what he implied in the last sentence; but stopped myself and those damn hormones. No Mary, you cannot have sex with Emmett Cullen. No Mary, no matter how badly your body wants to. I began to imagine things in my mind; our bodies meshed together, his cold lips trailing all over me, feeling his groin hard against me just before he made entry. I forced myself to speak before my mind got too carried away. "Good. We can fix this, then." 

Emmett raised an eyebrow, surprised. "How's that?" 

"Divorce." I answered him with that duh tone as if the answer were obvious from the start. 

Emmett shook his head. His eyes and tone were teasing but honest. "I don't believe in divorce, Mary. Besides, I don't want one." He stared at the look of shock on my face at his denial. 

"You don't want..." I snapped back to life with a jolt as his words sat in, "Emmett, you are an idiot." 

"I love you." He interjected. 

"You don't even know me." 

"Doesn't matter, I don't need to." 

"I'll kill you." 

"I'll take my chances." There was honestly no shaking him. Emmett was set on his argument and didn't care to change his mind; he was completely calm about the entire situation as if marrying a total stranger (well, we live together so not completely total) was perfectly A-Okay. Emmett strode forward, noticing how sad and helpless I suddenly became. "I do mean it, Mary. I love you. I love everything about you. Everything you are; you are such a contradiction and it drives me crazy. In a good way." I looked up at him, completely vulnerable. Tears had started to form in my eyes as everything had set in, tears that I didn't want him to see. Emmett wiped his finger across my cheek gently as one escaped. "One moment you are completely innocent and vulnerable, and the next you are fiery and unpredictable. Sometimes you are even meaner than a dog shitting tacks, but hey, it makes you perfect. Trust me, Mary, I do love you. I really do." 

Emmett pulled me in; enclosing my fragile body in a loving embrace. It was then that I had known everything he had just said to be true, and I believed him. While my face was hidden from his sight, I let a few more tears escape. He spoke again. "Give this a chance, Mary. I wouldn't have married you if I didn't truly believe we were meant for each other. I know you are angry and scared, but I will make this work; you won't have to do anything." He placed a kiss on the top of my messy black bed head, "I promise you." 

I gave myself a few moments to gain composure; letting each of his gentle words sink into my mind and memory. What was this warm feeling that was creeping all over my body? Was it possible, that after only a few days, I loved Emmett back? 

After everything he had said, I can honestly say that I hated him a little less. It was clear that he was being honest and sincere, pouring his heart out into my hands. 

After all, he wasn't the one wasted last night. And yet, he still agreed to marry me. Was it possible that he knew exactly what he was doing and what he was getting into? 

After seeing that I was okay again, Emmett took my hand and carefully led me into the other room; trying to take my mind off of everything. "Come on, let's watch some television." 

I nodded and came quietly; still numb and unsure of everything.