Epilogue

“Auntie Mary,” Nessie said cautiously as she knocked on the door to my room, she peaked her bronze ringlets around the corner. “May Jake and I come in?”

            I smiled up at her, I patted the side of my bed so that she knew she could sit down and join me. “Of course, sweetie.”

            Her chocolate eyes were empty while she had attempted a grin. She was grieving and trying not to let me see it. Renesmee was always so strong, much like her father. “How are you feeling?”

            I smiled back a her, trying to be reassuring. “Healthy as a horse.”

            I could see the tears start to form in her typically joyful eyes and she tried to push them back with a small laugh. Her young and glowing cream colored hand took hold of mine, reminding me of what I once was. Renesmee and I didn’t exactly know what to say to each other. Neither of us were good at goodbyes.

            Jake cleared his throat. “Are you scared?”

            “Of dying?” I asked, “Nah. Not a bit. It’s natural.”

            I felt Renesmee gently squeeze my hand and I didn’t miss the tear that had escaped. I had loved this child, I had watched her grow inside her mother’s stomach, I had watched her grow up so miraculously, I had watched as she fell in love and got married. I had gone from being called her sister, to her aunt, and eventually being introduced as her grandmother.

            “Don’t cry, Nessie.” I sat my fragile withered form up and wrapped my grey and wrinkled arms around her. “Shh, Ness, don’t cry.”

            “I love you, Mary.” Nessie spoke through her tears. “I-I’m going to miss you so much.”

            Renesmee had never been subjected to watching death, or age, except from her grandfather who had died twenty years ago. Everyone else in her life would continue on with her forever, and I think that she had somewhat expected me to as well.

            But I wasn’t going to. Carlisle had said he doubted I was going to survive through the night. This was my end, and I had lived my life so well and haven’t missed out on anything at all.

            I had married the man that I had loved so truly. I had spent a lifetime with my mother, who had died at the age of ninety-three. I had spent all the time in the world with the family I had loved, and survived all the drama that it came with.

            There was nothing I regretted in my life, and especially not my choice to remain human through it all. There were times that I had given thought to giving in and joining their life, but I knew that it was not something that I was meant to do.

            And as the years wore on, it led me here. To the day I was to die.

            “I love you, Nessie.” I said finally. “I have always loved you, and I always will.”

            I allowed her to rest her head on me until she finally calmed down and her tears stopped flowing, which Edward and Bella had timed excellently with their arrival inside the room to join us. Jacob and Nessie exited, allowing them to say their goodbyes in private.

            Laying eyes on Edward nearly made me burst into tears. Edward had always been my best friend and my most trusted and admired companion. I had wanted to extend my time with him and re-live all of those precious moments that the two of us had shared together. I loved my brother, dearly.