Chapter Six

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Six: I didn't kiss him, he kissed me!

I stood there, dumbfounded and startled. Emmett was still standing here in the doorway, eyes narrowed and arms crossed, glaring down at me. I was jittery and unsure of what to say. I didn't meet his eyes for longer than two seconds; "I ... um... I .... I was just...." 

"Invading people's privacy." Emmett finished. After a moment, he strode forward, snatching the book from the table, and stuffing it in his large hands, away from my sight. Emmett was standing only inches from me now, he towered over a foot taller than myself looking down at me; I could tell that something in his oddly bright yellow eyes had softened when they met mine. 

I blinked furiously and looked away from him as my heart thudded furiously. I could barely hear myself speak over the drumming in my ears; "I .... I ... I was just leaving, I'm sorry.." I maneuvered around him, but his hand caught my wrist before I could make my escape. 

"Is that the thanks I get for saving your life?" 

"And leaving." I reminded. "Yeah, you deserve a metal." I could tell that my voice leaked more of my feeling and emotions towards him than it should have; and my bitterness was unmistakable. I wasn't just angry for myself, this was much bigger than that. I wrenched my wrists out of his grasped and bounded out of the room, not pausing to look back. 

I didn't head for my room; I wasn't going to resign and cower into solitude. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. Instead, I headed downstairs to cook me up a bite to eat. Now that I had actually seen Emmett in person I could say this; even though he is indeed as beautiful as I had hoped, I have discovered that I am not obsessively infatuated with him as I believed I was. 

This was a plus for me, because now I had felt much less hindered. That was until Emmett decided to follow me downstairs. Ignoring manners and the fact that I was too embarrassed about being caught snooping to be around him. All anger was gone from his face and demeanor now, and he had melted to a mask of easy-going humor. 

He just stood there in the entry way of the kitchen, watching me as I made me a quick bowl of pasta. For the first several minutes, I ignored him; hoping that he would get bored and eventually leave. When he didn't I made an irritated noise and rolled my eyes, "Do you mind? I kind of don't like people watching me while I eat." 

Emmett shrugged and pulled out a chair, sitting his masculine form close to me, a teasing smirk dancing on his lips. "I don't mind at all, actually. It isn't any different than your snooping through other people's belongings." 

I stabbed the noodles with a little more force than was necessary. "What do you want?" 

Emmett grinned, and my insides twitched, he really was the most beautiful in the family, and had the ability to stop my thoughts were they lie. "What I want is a proper thank you." 

I scoffed, "Well you aren't getting one here. You might have saved my life, but you abandoned your family; that makes you both an asshole and coward. I don't think much of you, Emmett Cullen." 

Even though I was being dead serious, he laughed. That only pissed me off even more. Emmett continued to watch me as I ate, only moving once I had stood up. "Oh so now you're following me?" 

"Yeah." Emmett said plainly. "Until I get that Thank You." 

I placed my dishes in the sink and wheeled on him, "What the hell are you expecting?! A prize?!" 

There was a smile playing on his lips as he approached, it was both mocking and playful. Emmett carefully, as if not to break me, placed one of his hands on my waist and the other against my cheek. My mind was rolling with hatred, but my heart was stirring with anticipation. Slowly and gently, his cold wet lips found their way to mind; moving against them in a feather-light way. Teasing. I felt a lack of oxygen going to my brain because I had frozen stiff and stopped breathing. 

Did Emmett Cullen just kiss me? Yes. Yes, he did. 

I tried to make my voice sound convincing, but it was clear I was lying through my teeth. "Get the hell away from me, you freak!" I will admit only to you, that I didn't really try to push him away as hard as I could have, but it wouldn't have made a real difference anyway. 

Instead of listening to my less the convincing command, Emmett kissed me deeper and with more urgency and passion than before. This wasn't a feeling I was used to; the way his lips were moving against mine. Despite how bad I really wanted to, I refused to give in to my animalistic instinct to kiss him back; because that would have given him too much satisfaction. It sent strange sensations through my body; my blood was boiling and I wanted him closer to me; I wanted more. 

"Emmett's back." Edward's cool voice startled us apart. He was standing there next to a gleeful Alice, smirking devilishly as if he could read my mind. Rosalie gave me a knowing wink when she strode in, her instincts picking up on the scene. Jasper snickered at me, and Esme tried to hold back a satisfied smile. 

Emmett was beaming, but he tried to hide his joy. 

I don't think I have ever turned so red in my entire life. I wheeled on Emmett, and with everything I could muster, punched him full in the face. I cracking sound and sharp pain had shot through my hand, but my mind was elsewhere; "You filthy asshole!" 

Satisfied with my outburst, I stomped up the stairs and to the bathroom to take care of my founded hand; thoroughly embarrassed and confused.  

I was just kissed by Emmett Cullen. No, not kissed, attacked was more like it. I still felt the tingling in my lips, as if his were still pressed against mine. Did I say to you that I wasn't totally infatuated with Emmett Cullen? 

Yeah, well, about that; I lied. I really really lied. 

I don't believe in happy endings, fantasy, or fairytale; but in that moment with Emmett, I felt something that I had never known existed. Sadly, it was only the start.