Chapter Twenty-Two

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Twenty-Two: Goodbyes and Departures

Emmett, 

By the time you find this letter, I will be long gone.  

It is nothing you have done, and there is nothing you could have done to have changed my mind. This is something that I need to do for myself before I come back and be with you once more. I never lied to you, Em, and especially not when I had said that I loved you. I do. 

Please don't be upset with me, Emmett, I honestly can't deal with that right now. I just want you to be happy and to continue on with everything as you had before I came into your life. I promise you that I will come back and be with you, and I'll be better than before. 

I just need some space. 

I love you, darling, 

Mary.

I stared down at my packed suitcase, determined to keep myself strong mentally. I knew that I needed time, but what I didn't know was how Emmett was going to take my departure. Naturally Alice had seen it coming, and Edward had known my decision as soon as I had thought it. However they respected my wishes when I had asked them to keep it a secret from everyone else. 

I didn't know where I was going to go. Being honest with myself, I realized that I had nowhere to go. Where ever I would be, I would be alone. Alice promised that no matter how worried she got, she wouldn't watch after my decisions. I wanted to be alone. 

It may have seemed little, one little slip up, one little murder. To me it didn't matter, it was murder none the less, and as of right now, I didn't feel quite worthy of living with the Cullen family and all their glory. I needed a time to my own. 

Taking one reassuring breath, I hoisted my suitcase into my arms, and headed down the stairs towards the towering mahogany door. It was something I had to do. 

There was no need for a car; I had the speed necessary to get away from here without needing to resort to grand theft auto. After all, I didn't need a record. All I needed to do was to get away from here before Emmett got home from school. 

Before I had reached the end of the drive, however, Esme had caught up with me. She knew that it was pointless to try to get me to change my mind, so I was glad that she didn't bother. Instead her topaz pools met my crimson ones and she took hold of my hand. "Mary. Please. Be careful." 

There was emotion in her voice, lots of concern for me. And it sent an electric shock to my heart. I knew that my words were a lie, as I couldn't give any of the Cullen's any sort of promise as to a safe return, or if I was returning at all. I had to force the words out. "I will." 

As soon as the lie had come across my lips, the expected weight of guilt hit me like a bus. I hated lying, especially to someone as kind and genuine as Esme. However with everything that has happened in my life, and so incredibly quickly, I need some time to clear my mind. Whatever it was that that actually entitled, and how long it was actually going to take me, wasn't something that I had actually given an extraneous train of thought to. 

One of the things that I have loved the most about my adoptive mother was her ability to give us our own independence, and not give us too much hell, no matter how much of it we actually put her through. I could tell she wasn't exactly favoring my idea for leaving, but she simply convinced herself with one final affectionate hug, to allow me to go off on my own, but not before handing me an envelope with my name elegantly scrawled on the front. 

I waited until she was out of sight before I gentle tore open the edges, pulling out a neat piece of paper and a brief explanation written out. It was their one request of me.:

Mary, 

We know that trying to stop you would be useless, you aren't usually one to follow the typical advice and are far too determined to change your mind once it has been made up, there is no changing it. However, we do ask that you do give us one request. 

There are a group of vampires that I have grown familiar with over the centuries, and while they are not exactly our sort nor do they agree with our ways, they have agreed to give you a home for as long as you wish to be on your own. 

I do believe that you will learn a lot with these people. Not only about our kind, our laws, and all of our secrets; but also about yourself and your goals. 

Of course, if you happen to have changed your mind completely, you are always welcome to come back whenever you'd like. We love you, Mary, all of us do.

Please take care, 

Carlisle.

I smiled at the note, and folded it back up, placing it safely in my pants pocket. At least Carlisle understood what I had truly needed, and worked it out so that I would have somewhere safe to go. Of course I was going to take him up on his one request, after all, it must have taken quite a bit of time and effort for him to convince someone to take in a stranger. 

I had almost ignored the envelope, until another thing caught my eye. Upon examining the contents further, I noticed a plane ticket and a paper explaining to me of what I was supposed to do when I landed in....Italy!? 

What the cuss!? Was Carlisle really sending me for a stay with the Volturi?! The vampire royalty of our kind were going to take me in to live with them? How the hell did Carlisle know them, and let alone know them well enough to have them do him a favor. 

What else did I not know about this man?! 

After I had gotten over my initial shock and surprise, I turned my heels toward the airport, noticing that my time before Emmett would pull up the drive would be limited, and prepared myself for my departure.