Chapter Eight

I Write Sins, Not Tragedies 

Chapter Eight: A Place Between Us

I don't even think that Emmett knew where to go, he had been taken so off guard with my request. Hell, even I was surprised at myself. We just rode in silence, rode for miles. The lack of conversation was beginning to get awkward, so I bent over and flipped on the radio; turning it up as loud as it would go. It was one of my favorite songs that was beginning to sound through the speakers.

Never made it as a wise man 

I couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing 

Tired of living like a blind man 

I'm sick of sight without a sense of feeling 

And this is how you remind me 

This is how you remind me 

Of what I really am 

This is how you remind me 

Of what I really am

Emmett chuckled darkly. It was the first sound he had made since we went off on our own. I was almost offended by it. "What? You don't like this song?" 

Emmett shook his head, shaking whatever thoughts he had on his mind. "No, it isn't that." 

"Then share." I reminded him in a sing-song voice, "Secrets don't make friends." 

Emmett let out another dark laugh, "It's just ironic is all. The lyrics." I was thoroughly confused by that; as I didn't see anything ironic about it. I went back to ignoring him, staring outside my side of the car, wishing it were sunny. I had begun to hum the words quietly. 

Emmett, however, surprised me by full on belting out the words. It was clear that he wasn't being serious about it; only doing so to win a smile out of me. Sadly; it was working. There was an undeniable tugging at the corners of my pink lips. Emmett could see it too; answering by singing even louder. "Come on, Lou. Show me how it's done, don't be shy; live a little." 

I couldn't resist anymore; I full out grinned, joining in on the next line of the song. For once in the entire time I had been with the Cullen family; I had begun to genuinely feel light and happy. We were totally off key, and singing obnoxiously louder than the radio could manage to reach, but I didn't care. A few cars passed us by, stared, and laughed. 

Yes, people, I see you laughing at me and Emmett totally jamming out in his car; and no, I do not care. Eventually, though, the song faded out and I was out of breath but still smiling. Emmett's eyes held some emotion that I couldn't fathom, and his returning smile was one of a soft fondness. "That is the first time I've seen you laugh, Mary." 

I blushed, dejecting my eyes. Even if it were only for a moment, Emmett Cullen had torn down my walls like a wrecking ball. I still could erase the smile from my face; whatever I was feeling with one hundred percent real and unlike anything I had ever felt before. 

"You should do it more often, Louie. You have a beautiful smile." Emmett didn't look at me as he said that; his eye focused only on the winding dirt road he had just made a turn for. 

Although he could get under my skin like no other; there was something about Emmett that made him irresistible, and it was those last moments that showed me that. I didn't want those few minutes to end; they were bliss to my soul. "Where are we going?" I finally asked. 

Emmett shrugged; "I have somewhere in mind, but it's a surprise." 

"Do you often bring girls here?" I asked teasingly. 

"No." Emmett answered honestly. "It's usually my alone spot, where I go to get away from it all. I'm only taking you there if you pinky promise to keep it a secret." He held out his right pinky; mine was barely able to wrap around it when I answered with an excited smile. 

"Pinky promise." 

It was a minute or two before we had stopped the car, and Emmett walked around to help me out as the drop to the ground was taller than I was. Emmett gently placed his hands strongly under my shoulders, carefully lifting me out of the seat and placing my small feel firmly on the ground. "Down you go." 

"Why thank you, kind sir." I grinned, "Now if you plan to keep up in your gentlemanly ways; lead the way, Emmett Cullen." I gestured with my hands for him to step in front; but instead he took my hand in his. I pulled it away; still uncomfortable with the way his touch made my insides feel. Emmett didn't look too offended. 

"Stay close." Before I could even lift my head to follow; he was nearly out of my sight. 

"Hey, wait up." I called out to his retreating figure as I took off in his direction, his only answer was a booming laugh. I would have been able to keep pace if I hadn't been wearing five inch pumps, the yellow patent leather was ripping away at the side of my feet, causing me a lot of pain with each step I took. 

When I had finally reached Emmett, he looked down at me, a teasing smile played on his lips. "Do you need me to carry you?" 

"No." I answered, but I took off my shoes, handing them to him, "But you can carry these." I had begun to walk forward, thinking he was going to keep walking; instead I heard a growl as I was hoisted off the ground and placed on his shoulders. 

"Why do you have to be so stubborn, Louie?" Emmett asked, "You know that eventually I am going to get my way." 

"So you may think." He and I both knew he wasn't simply referring to carrying me the distance to his super-secret hide out. "But you're wrong. I'm a tough nut to crack." 

He thought back to the car ride and how easily he had my guard down. "Right. Really tough." 

Just then I had felt the sun creep through the clouds as a ray of warmth touched my face; looking down I had seen a shimmer of light radiating off Emmett's pale skin. Curious. "Emmett?" 

His voice was strained and nervous. "Yeah?" 

"Why are you wearing glitter?" I asked him, just as the sun crept back behind a gray cloud; wiping away all evidence of my case. 

I could feel Emmett let out a breath of relief; his laugh was a little too forced. "Mary, I think you may need some sleep; you're beginning to hallucinate." Perhaps Emmett was right, I hadn't been sleeping the best; however, I knew what I had seen. 

There was something peculiar about him, Emmett Cullen, and he was getting even more so by the moment. I was determined; I knew that he was hiding something from me, and I was going to be sure to do whatever it takes to get the truth out of him.  

I would not be played by Emmett Cullen, not matter my feelings.