Chapter 6

Avery's P.O.V

It was now three days before Christmas Eve. James and I were driving up today to his parents' place for the holidays. I was really nervous about going.

"Baby, please don't worry. They are going to love you as much as I love you."

I gave him a nervous chuckle. We started packing up the car with our luggage and presents.

"Are you sure you don't want to go alone James? I could get a lot of work done at home."

"No, please come. For me?" He gave that cute puppy doe eye look.

I sighed and we got into the car. James put the radio on and had one hand on my leg as he drove. I had my hand on top of his and watched how concentrated he looked while driving. Eventually I found myself falling asleep.

"Av baby, wake up. We're here."

"Nooooo. Please, 5 more minutes."

"Baby don't worry, everything will be fine. You can sleep once we get settled."

I nodded and we walked up to the door and rang the bell. "You never told me you were rich."

"You never asked." He shrugged.

The door opened and a very beautiful woman well dressed opened the door. She looked to be in her 50s.

"James honey. How are you? I have missed you."

She hugged him before turning to me. She looked me up and down before saying, "And you must be Avery."

"Nice to meet you, Mrs Evans."

We shook hands and I got the vibe she didn't like me. We went inside and I was in awe at the place. Large chandeliers, beautiful marble floors, everything was decorated and very precise. We went to say hello to his father who was also well dressed and looked in his 50s. James was a replica of his father. Only he had his mother's eyes.

"Hello son."

"Hello dad. This is my girlfriend Avery."

"Nice to meet you, Mr Evans."

"Hi, Avery." Wow nobody liked me. Is it because they were protective of their son or because I was an outcast?

"Why don't you two get settled in your old bedroom James."

We went upstairs and James said we were going to go for a walk into town until his brothers and sister-in-law comes. We unpacked and then we were out the door.

"Where are we going, babe?"

"We are going to get coffee and walk in town."

We held hands and walked to the coffee shop. We ordered coffee and just sat in the café and talked.

"Avery, you seem distracted. What's wrong?"

"Nothing, just thinking."

"About me?" He smirked.

"Haha, cocky much? But yes, about you and about us."

We went back to his parents' house at five and dinner was at 6:30. James was in the shower while I was doing my makeup. Just then, his mother walked into the bathroom.

"Oh honey, I'm sorry. I didn't know she was in here. I was just leaving you a new tie I bought."

With that she left. I finished getting ready for dinner. I was meeting James's brothers and sister-in-law. I was nervous to meet them too. Especially because I knew his parents weren't too fond of me. James and I were dressed and he grabbed my waist and playfully threw me on the bed. He hovered over me kissing me, just then his mother walked in again.