Chapter 18

Avery's P.O.V

It is the evening before my wedding getting ready for the rehearsal dinner. James's parents and my dad took care of all the setting up so all we had to do tonight was show up. The dinner was only James' immediate family, my dad and grandparents, and my friends. 

"Avery, we need to go amore mio. We're going to be late for our own rehearsal dinner." James comes in wearing a suit. Every time I see this man I fall in love all over again.

"I'm ready, but wait. You look so handsome, I need a kiss." James walks over to me and kisses me tenderly before helping me with my coat. We drove over to the restaurant where our rehearsal dinner was and as soon as we walked in we were swarmed with love. This is exactly the type of life I've wanted since day one. I have my father here and he is going to be giving me away. Who would've thought this would happen? I sure didn't. And as sad as it is, I know my mom is looking down on me even though we've had our differences. James and I were seated with everyone else and conversed until dinner was served. It was so nice to hear James' family talk about the many fond memories they've shared with James growing up. My friends had great stories to tell but the one that shocked me the most was my dad.

"Avery was a very smart kid when she was 3. I remember this one time we left cookies out on the table for Santa and we made sure that she was asleep before we planned on eating them. When I went downstairs, she had beaten us to it and was sitting there eating Santa's cookies. The smile on her face was priceless and the cute little moustache she had from the milk. And now my little girl is all grown up, marrying her best friend, and soon will be having her own children. I am so proud of you angel. I know I have not been the best dad or even present for much of your life. I promise you to be here every day from now until I die. I love you, sweetheart." 

Hearing my dad's speech made me cry. I've wanted this my entire life and I finally got it. I never heard this story or even remembered it but it meant the world to me that he remembered that about me. James grabbed my hand under the table and squeezed it. There was so much joy that I had seeing everyone together laughing and celebrating James and me. 

James then proceeded to say his speech and of course it brought tears to my eyes. Hearing him talk about his love and devotion for me made me think just how lucky I am to have him. Honestly, it's incredible.

"Avery, are you okay? You dozed off there for a second."

"I'm great Jay. Honestly, I am so happy. You have no idea how happy you make me. I cannot wait to marry you, I cannot wait for our honeymoon, and I cannot wait to start the rest of our life with you." He kissed me and everyone cheered and smiled.

"Save it for the honeymoon you too!" Rebecca winked. Leave it to Becca to embarrass us like that!

 I stuck my tongue out at her while Jay just winked at me. "Don't even think about it, mister!"

It was then time to go home and I was so grateful. My feet were killing me and I was so exhausted. More than anything, I wanted to crawl into bed and sleep. Jay, on the other hand, he had other plans for us. So we said goodnight and headed to our car.

"Jay, I am so tired. Where on earth are we going?" 

"Just trust me cara mia. You will like this surprise."

"Jay it's ten-thirty. I just want to go home and cuddle into the sheets and sleep like a baby."

"Just half an hour, that's all I'm asking for." 

Jay and I were in the car and I started dozing off before I heard the car door slamming. "Jay where are we?"

Jay helped me out of the car and we walked up the driveway to this big beautiful house. It was very spacious and modern looking from the outside. I just wondered what we were doing here this late. "Jay, where are you taking me. I wanna go home."