Chapter 17

Avery's POV

It was now June two years later. Two years ago I graduated from university. It has been two years since James proposed to me. It has been two years of planning the perfect wedding. James was so patient in planning everything because he knew how important graduation was for me. I was beyond grateful to have gotten him as my forever. Liliana and Lorenzo along with my father has really pulled this wedding together. They were making sure that Jay and I got everything we wanted for our special day. 

I was currently in Jay's office typing away at my laptop. Jay has been busy with work and with our wedding. I love how invested he was in our wedding. It was as important for him as it was for me. I heard the front door open and I ran down to see him. I jumped and hugged him wrapping my legs around his torso.

"Well hello to you too. I missed you, Cara Mia." He carried us onto the couch and I sat on his lap and we just talked about his day.

"So, are you excited to be Mrs James Evans in a week?"

"I am. I'm also very nervous because I want everything to work out well. I don't think the weather is an issue because June is a good month to have a wedding. And I'm excited about our honeymoon too. Very excited for that actually."

"I am too. It's going to be the start of our life together. I still can't believe we found each other after a few years." 

I kissed him and got off of him. He went up to have a shower and I got dinner ready for us. I was plating everything when I heard my phone ringing. "Hello?"

"Hi, This is Patrick Thompson. I'm looking for Miss Avery Jennings."

"This is she. How can I help you?" 

"Miss Jennings, I am calling to inform you that we took an interest in your resume. I'd like to interview you at Landon High. I was wondering when you'd be free to come in for an interview?"

"Oh, that is wonderful. I am getting married next week. I am free the week after next."

"Oh, congratulations! Well, given it's only May there's no rush. I will call you in a couple of weeks to figure out a date. Talk soon, Miss Jennings." I hung up and saw Jay leaning against the wall. I smiled at him and we sat down for dinner. 

"You got an interview?"

"I did except there's no date yet! I already got called for a position. It wasn't a permanent position, but it's something. Especially since I just finished teacher's college. I love that we are going to have the same holidays. It's going to be very beneficial when we have kids." 

His face lit up when I mentioned the word kids. I know he's looking forward to having kids. I am so lucky to be able to have him as a partner in life. We ate dinner and talked about the rehearsal dinner happening this week. There was still a lot to do. Lorenzo and Liliana were hosting it at their house. This was taking place on Friday. Tomorrow the girls and I are going for one final dress fitting. I remembered the look on their faces when I tried the dress on. It was the fifth dress I tried. It was a fitted white dress with lace and long-sleeved. I fell in love with the dress instantly.

James had worked so we went up to bed after dinner. I was going through my notes and to-do lists making sure everything was in order for the events to come. 

"Good night cara mia. I love you."

"Good night handsome, I love you too." 

The next morning when I woke up Jay already left for work. I got dressed and was drinking a coffee when Lilian was calling. "Hello?" 

"Good morning dear. Becca and I are two minutes away."

"Thank you, mamma, see you guys soon."  I locked up and saw them parked outside. I got into their car and we drove to their dress store. I was so nervous and excited. Today was the day I got to bring my dress home. We got to the store and we immediately went in.

"Hi, we're here for the last dress fitting. The appointment is under Miss Jennings." The lady brought us to the dressing room area and I went in to put on the dress. When I stood in front of the mirror in the dress a few tears rolled down my cheeks. I was so happy. In exactly a week, I will be wearing this dress and Mrs James Evans. I couldn't wait to see his reaction.

I looked at Lilian and Becca and saw them both tearing up as well. Alterations were perfected and the dress was in perfect condition. They wrapped up the dress and we left. 

"Avery, how does some lunch sound?"

"I would like that." Becca, Lilian and I drove to a fancy restaurant by the water for lunch. We all sat down and ordered lunch.

"So Avery, as your soon to be mother-in-law, I wanted to give you your something old. This is a pendant necklace Lorenzo's mother gave to me. And as your mother-in-law, it goes to you. I really hope you like it."

I opened it and it was beautiful. It was full of silver gems and it was heart-shaped. I wiped my tears and hugged mom. "Thank you, mamma. I love it a lot." 

Rebecca gave me my something borrowed which was a hairpin. When they dropped me home, they took my dress with them. I knew if it was at home, Jay would be peaking around at it. I took a shower and got dinner started and waited for my fiancee to come home.

Every time my fiancee comes home he sets his things on the ground and greets me. Everything else is done after he's greeted me. And I loved that. 

I was in the kitchen stirring the pot of pasta when I felt hands wrap around my waist. He kissed my cheek before pecking my neck and I turned around to see him. I grew a little nervous when I saw his face. He looked upset and exhausted. 

"What's wrong amore mio?" 

He shook his head. "I'm just exhausted. I think I'm gonna take a shower and go to bed"

"Jay, you need to eat. So you shower, we'll have dinner and then you can go to bed. Deal?" 

He nodded and went upstairs. I plated the food and went to see where Jay was. I went upstairs and saw him passed out in bed. What a liar!! He looked so peaceful so I didn't wake him.

 I went back downstairs and cleaned before getting into bed with him.

The next day when I woke up James already left for work. Today was one of those days where I had nothing to do. No housework, no wedding prep, and no school or work. I decided I was going to spend the entire day relaxing at home. 

When Jay got home from work he kissed me like he always did. I felt myself melting into his arms. We pulled apart and he looked at me with mischievous eyes.

"I am cooking dinner for us. You are going to take a bath and relax until dinner is done. Then we will have a romantic dinner and watch a movie or something." I headed upstairs and did as I was told. I couldn't help but wonder what James had planned. Maybe it was because I was becoming Bridezilla? I know I am a bit of a perfectionist and I could be a little intense. But I just really wanted everything to go smoothly.

I got dressed and headed downstairs and saw the table all set up and the room lit with candles. Jay was standing by the stove with soft music in the background. 

"Hello, mister Evans. Busy are we?"

"You go sit down. Dinner is almost ready."  He soon sat down and proceeded in pouring us a glass of wine. We were eating and I couldn't but be mesmerized with my fiancee.

"This is amazing, Jay. Thank you. I should be the one cooking you dinner while you're at work." 

"No, I wanted to cara mia. I know you've been very preoccupied with the wedding and I know you want everything to be perfect. But you're forgetting to take a breather and relax. So that is the agenda for tonight."

"You are the best fiancee a woman could ever have. I am so lucky to get to marry you next week." He leaned over and kissed me and we finished the dinner with light conversation. 

We then got ready for bed and turned the tv on to watch a movie. I felt myself slowly starting to drift off. Jay and I were cuddling and the last thing I remember was him kissing me before turning the tv off.