Chapter 8

Avery's P.O.V

I woke up before James for once. And like everyday, I woke up with a huge smile on my face. It was Christmas Day and I was spending it with the love of my life and his family. And even though, they were not fond of me, I would do whatever I could to not ruin today. I just watched him sleep. He was so handsome asleep. The way his lips parted, and his messy ruffled hair, I loved watching him so at peace. I think he felt me staring because he woke up smiling.

"Good morning cara mia. Merry Christmas." I kissed his forehead.

"Good morning Jay. Merry Christmas, handsome."

Just then room service knocked to deliver breakfast which we finished and drove back to James' parent's house. I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't nervous about today. After dinner for the first time with his family, I wanted to leave. I knew I have Rebecca, Alex, and James, but no one else accepted me. I just really wanted them to support James more than anything.

"Babe I was calling you for five minutes straight and you just froze. Is everything okay?"

"Of course, Jay, I'm sorry?" He looked confused but nodded and we were on our way back. We got inside and went upstairs to get ready for the party. After three hours of getting ready, I opened the door and saw James looking at me jaw dropped.

"Wow, you look gorgeous. I mean look at you."

"Thanks, babe and look at you as handsome as ever. I see you are wearing the shirt and tie I got you."

We went downstairs and everyone turned their gazes to us. I decided to speak up. "Merry Christmas everyone."

James was introducing me to his extended family. Some aunts and uncles, who were all really sweet. I left James to mingle and went to the kitchen to call my dad. Even though I didn't forgive him for abandoning me it's still Christmas and a phone call wouldn't hurt.

"Hello?"

"Hi, dad... It's me, Avery."

"Avery hi how are you? It's nice to hear from you. You sound all grown up."

"Yes, it's been a while. I'm doing fine how are you?"

"I'm great. How's your mom?"

"Yeah, that's quite the story."

"Why what's wrong? Are you okay?"

"Mom is in rehab with an alcohol addiction. I left and currently living with my boyfriend."

"I'm so sorry to hear. You have me if you need a place or someone to talk to. Even a place to stay. I do love you Avery."

"Thanks, dad. I am actually with my boyfriend and his family I just called to say Merry Christmas."

I was just sitting there when James' mother walked in. "Hi, Avery you look beautiful."

"Thanks, Mrs Evans. You look amazing tonight as well."

"Thank you dear. Avery, please forgive me once again for my rudeness. It's just, in the past people used James for his money and I don't want him to suffer and go through the pain all over again."

"I understand but I can promise you I would never betray his trust and use him for something as silly as money. I don't like to take people's money I like to earn my own. To work hard and get it."

"I see that dear, and I am sorry again." We hugged and she left as soon as the doorbell rang. I went upstairs to put my phone back. James was upstairs in our room.

"Hey cara mia. I was looking for you."

"I was just talking to my dad."

We sat on the bed and I told him about that conversation and he just held onto me and listened. I then told him about the conversation with his mother and his whole face lit up.

James went down and I followed behind. When I got down, I saw this small little girl sitting on James' lap and they were both laughing and smiling. James looked good with her. He was practically glowing. He was great with kids. I want to mother his children. He turned to me and smiled then winked and motioned for me to come over.

"Victoria. This is Avery. Avery this is my little angel Victoria."

"Uncle James, is she your girlfriend?"

"How do you know about girlfriends. You're still a little girl."

She laughed. "I'm four. So I am a big girl. She looks like Cinderella."

"Hi, Victoria it's nice to meet you. You have such beautiful eyes."

"Thanks, Avery. Can I hug you?" I nodded and she hugged me.

Just then it was dinner time. Everyone sat down on a big table that fit about 30. We all said grace and enjoyed spending time with family. James put his hand on my leg and squeezed it. I looked at him and he smiled. I never experienced this before. I never got family Christmases or even family dinners. It made my heart swell thinking about James and I in the future hosting our own dinners with our kids. I couldn't wait for that to happen.

After dinner, we all gathered by the Christmas tree when Santa arrived.

"Ho ho ho Merry Christmas! Who's ready for presents."

Where's James I thought to myself. He should've been here opening presents. Just then Alex said that separate family pictures would be taken. I waited for James to return so we could have ours taken.

"Has anyone seen James?" Everyone shook their heads. When I called the line indicated it was in use. He was on a phone call right now? I guess I am on my own.

"Ho ho ho don't worry young one Santa's here! Come sit on my lap." I sat on his lap and it felt really awkward. They took the picture and I was about to get up when Santa grabbed me and kissed my lips. I immediately pulled back and slapped the Santa on his shoulder. Everyone looked shocked and started laughing. When I looked back Santa pulled the beard down and it was James.

"What is wrong with you, idiot! You scared me."

"Hey, you were on Santa's good list. He wanted to reward you."

After we all opened our gifts, the kids immediately played with them until they fell asleep. The adults were now dancing and enjoying the evening. James came to get me and we slowed dance for a while.

The two of us decided to dress warm and grab a blanket and sit on the swing out back. We watched the stars and the small flurries falling from the sky. We sat there in each other's arms quietly. It was moments like this where I would fall for him deeper and deeper. That was the last thing I remembered before falling asleep against him.

It was a few days after Christmas and we were getting ready to head back home. I spent a lot of time getting to know James' mom. We talked about my childhood, James' childhood, we exchanged recipes, and so much more. I loved every second I spent with her. It felt like she was my mom. I mean, seeing how she treated her children and how she was now treating me was the same. It made James really happy to see us growing close. He never said that but you could see his face light up every time he saw his mother and I together.

We were now on our way back when I got a text from Becca.

Hey, is that offer to watch Victoria still on the table?

"Jay, I told Becca we could babysit for New Year's Eve. She just texted, for sure we're good to babysit right?" He looked at me before looking back at the road.

"If that's what you want, of course love."

Hey Becca, sounds good. Can't wait to see you guys <3

Thank you Avery, Alex and I will watch your future kids ;). See you at 6

Soon enough we were back at home and I was so exhausted I crashed on the couch.