...ten...

(Dipper's POV)

After my shower, I stepped out and walked over to the mirror. I wrapped a towel around my hips and stared at myself.

My eyes widened a bit when I observed my neck. It seemed to be painted with purple and blue bruises. It did hurt, that's for sure. I huffed, not knowing what I could do about it. I shrugged instead, then went on about getting dressed.

I put on some jeans and a black tee. I went without shoes and headed out of the bathroom. I didn't bother to brush my hair, or get my hat. I stepped downstairs and to the kitchen, grabbing a bowl and making myself some cereal.

I sat silently and alone at the kitchen table, munching on the frosted flakes. The sun was just barely making its way into the room. My mind swirled aimlessly, but I didn't focus on any thoughts in particular. I sighed after swallowing, swinging my feet a bit.

I hate this odd feeling.
It makes me sad.
Mad.
Confused.
Happy.
Embarrassed.
I couldn't put a finger on it.
That was the problem.
Bill said I should stop getting into things.
Working for answers.
It would end up hurting me.
But that's it.
My confusion hurts more.
He doesn't want that for me, right?
So what if I poked around a bit longer?
What's the harm in that?
I'm going to do it.
Nothing rash.
Nothing serious.
Just the little answers.
And I had the perfect one.
But I honestly didn't know how big the matter actually was......

I put down my spoon and stood. I headed over to the stairs, but got stopped by Stan. He had on a concerned look. I furrowed my brows, searching his eyes.

"Hey. Dipper." He half greeted. I just stared at him. "...hey...." I muttered. As I was about to brush past him, I was stopped again. "Dipper." He said my name more sternly. I looked at the older man harder. "Yeah?" I huffed.

He averted my eyes, looking around. I'm assuming he was making sure no one was listening. I crossed my arms. "...Stan....is something wro-?" "Are you doing okay, kid?" He cut me off. I sighed. "I'm fine." Lies. He glared into my eyes with his own.

"Dipper, I know a lie when I hear one." Just like reading my mind. Great. "I don't care if you tell me or not, but....I have a word of advice." I shifted my weight, tilting my head slightly. He went on.

"....your sister. She cares about you. You and I both know she'll always be there for you. You two are twins, and you're growing up. It's time you start acting older, and....." He trailed off, looking for words. My lips parted. My expression slowly turned into a scowl. Stan took notice, but before he could speak, I took the opportunity.

"What?? Act older??? Are you kidding, Stan?!" I snapped, my arms falling to my sides. "I understand all of this already!! Why do you all think I can't do for myself?! I'm not twelve anymore!!!" My words got louder each second. I clenched my fists, not giving Stan the chance to speak at all.

"And I don't have to tell Mabel anything if I don't want to!!! I know she's my sister, and I love her.....but you all keep driving me crazy trying to get me to talk!!!..." I yelled, I stomped halfway up the stairs. "D-Dipper-!" Stan called, I just spun to face him halfway. I clenched my teeth, flushing.

"W-what do you even know about having a sibling, Stan?!?....." I spat. He frowned, shoulders hunched. His gaze hit the ground.

That's what I thought....

"More than you know, kid." He murmured. My eyes widened, but I just turned and stomped upstairs and to the roof.

But of course, I grabbed the journal, too.