chapter 3

They all hid close to behind the bridge while the figure kept going. When they all took a look, it didn't look like a mugger, it looked like a little girl who was just lost. She appeared to be running from something... Or someone. What was a little girl that age and size doing out on her own all alone? Jerry helped Tom up so he wouldn't fall into the water and they decided to see where the girl was going.

"What's a girl her age doing out here this late at night?" Atticus asked quietly.

"Should we help her?" Patch asked.

"Well, we shouldn't talk to strangers, but it might be best..." Cherry shrugged, actually a little worried that a little girl was in the streets like this.

The cat, mouse, Dalmatian puppy, and two kids went to look after the girl after she hopped down from the stairs that was next to a small body of water. They accidentally hit a tin can and it fell down the stairs, clanking on its way down. They were going to get closer, but a backpack was nearly slapped at them.

"Whoa, hold it, HOLD IT!" Tom yelped as it nearly hit him in the face.

"Who... Who are you?" the little girl asked, a little scared.

"Nobody." Tom shrugged.

"Just us," the mouse said. "He's Tom and I'm Jerry. And those are our friends, Cherry, Atticus, and Patch."

"Oh," the girl had a small smile now. "I thought you were somebody else. I thought you were following me."

"Heck no." Tom shook his head.

"What're you doing way out here?" the girl asked them.

"We're lost and we're looking for somethin' to eat." Tom said, hungrily.

"Yeah, we haven't eaten since breakfast." Patch added.

"Yeah, do you think you could help us?" Jerry asked.

"Well," the girl reached into her backpack. "I got cookies, an apple, and..."

After the food was settled, they all decided to make a campfire and get to know each other a little bit better.

"So, your name is Robyn and you ran away from home." Cherry said as she nibbled at her cookie.

Patch was given a cookie with no chocolate chips, luckily for him, the others apologized about him not being able to have the chocolate, but they didn't want him to get sick.

"How did you know?" Robyn asked.

"Your name is on your locket" Atticus gestured to the locket.

"Oh, yes," Robyn held her locket. "It's Robyn Starling. I'm afraid I don't have a home anymore. I'm an orphan..."

"What happened to your parents?" Cherry asked gently, it was a rough subject, but hopefully she would tell them.

"My mother died when I was a baby..." Robyn frowned, very emotional about that.

"Oh my... We're so sorry to hear that," Atticus comforted her. "And your father?"

"My father's on an expedition," Robyn started to explain, okay she wasn't exactly an orphan since she had a dad around. "On a mountain... And it gave way, ya know from an av...an...."

"Avalanche?" Tom asked, a little nervously.

"Uh-huh," Robyn sounded like she was about to cry. "And... He was the most wonderful father in the world!" she opened her locket to show her with her father who looked a lot like Indiana Jones. "We had our own secret place, just the two of us! And... And..."

"That's where you were going?" Jerry concluded for her.

"Uh-huh," Robyn wiped some tears from her blue eyes. "And to get away from... My Aunt Figg..."

"Really?" Patch asked, not understanding why she would want to leave her own aunt.

"Let me guess, she isn't really your aunt, correct?" Atticus asked.

"Not really, she's my guardian," Robyn explained. "She's taken over the house! She moved me to the attic and gave my room to her dog, Ferdinand!"

"Ferdinand?" Tom thought that name sounded so stupid for a dog.

"Aunt Figg is always calling me orphan," Robyn continued to explain to them. "She even stole my locket and threw it out the window! But, I climbed out and found it... And..."

"Kept on running..." Cherry figured that this had just happened.

"As fast as I could," Robyn nodded before folding her arms. "And I'm never going back!"

"You did a smart thing to leave someone as evil as her." Patch said.

"Oh, smart... Real smart, kid," Tom sneered. "You got a roof over your head, three sure meals a day, a warm bed, who'd wanna leave that?"

"I hate to admit it, guys, but Tom's right!" Jerry agreed. "You don't know what you're missing until you don't have it."

"But you guys don't know Aunt Figg!" Robyn cried again. "She seems nice, but she's mean! REAL mean!"

"So, she's basically someone who acts like she's all nice and kind, but really she's just cold-hearted and selfish and cares about no one and the only thing she cares about is money." Atticus said with his detective skills.

"Aw, come on," Jerry ignored that. "I bet she's just frantic lookin' for ya."

"Oh, sure, she's cryin' her eyes out for ya right this minute." Tom added.

"Maybe..." Patch said, unsure.

"Probably for a different reason..." Cherry said as she finished her cookie.

A little while later, an officer came by.

"There you are, Robyn," the officer told the orphaned girl. "You need to come home to your Aunt Figg."

"No, you can't let me go back to her!" Robyn tried to run away.

Atticus and Patch were about to join her.

"Robyn, you need to come back home..." the officer took her arm. "Your aunt's worried sick about you."

"NO!" Robyn refused to go, but she had to.

Tom and Jerry didn't want to leave Robyn, maybe after this, she could be their new owner. They tried to get the cop to take them with her.

"Excuse me, sir, but, would you mind taking us with her?" Patch asked.

"Um, did that dog say something?" the cop sounded confused for a moment.

"Uh, we just wanna go with Robyn," Cherry said to him. "I'm sure her 'aunt' won't mind."

"Hmm... Well, if it'll make Robyn more comfortable." the cop shrugged with a smile as he allowed them to come along with the girl.

Robyn still didn't want to go to her guardian, but at least her new friends were coming too.

"Thank you, sir." Atticus said.