Chapter 19 - Gray

Chapter 19

As soon as I see a flash of light by the chandelier, I shove Donovan to the ground and pull him behind the podium.

"Jessie," He grumbles, "what the hell is going on?!" His eyes widen as we hear people screaming in panic. He starts to get up when I pull him back down.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, Don."

"Do you have a magnet that attracts danger to you or something?"

"Just in the right place at the right time I guess."

"Yeah, well I might just send a unit with you from now on in case someone notices the trend."

"I don't think that's necessary but thanks for the offer."

"But- shit, Jessie you're bleeding."

"What?" I look down to my left shoulder which had been grazed by the knife. "It's fine, Don, I'll live." I must not have noticed it with the adrenaline running through my veins. He takes off his jacket and presses the sleeve to the cut.

"I don't get it, Jessie... ever since that day at the bank it's like you've turned into some kind of bionic woman or something. You have amazing reflexes, you can barely feel pain, and after all you've been through I'm surprised you haven't had a mental breakdown... I know I would."

"Don, it's not that deep-"

"You know I went to school with your uncle? I hung around with him and Doug. When your mother died, it wrecked all of us. We all think of you as our own kid. Seeing you just throw your safety aside time after time just... and you know it's even harder to deal with because it's for other people. I mean what kind of commissioner would I be if I told you not to save the lives of others if given the chance?"

"Don, I'm sorry this won't really help much, but it's just part of who I am... I can't help it. This stuff just happens to me, and I deal with it the way you and Wilbur have taught me. Wil showed me how to fight, but you taught me about law and justice. They go hand in hand. So stop worrying cause you're part of the reason I'm the way I am."

He laughs, "I guess I deserve a medal too huh?"

"Hell no get your own!" I nudge him with my shoulder, completely forgetting about my injury. "Ow ow ow ow-"

"You get a concussion and a sprained ankle and this is the first time you say ow?" Donovan laughs.

I shove him lightly, "Shut up. You're demoted from father status to crazy uncle."

"That's not that far of a jump huh?" Don chuckles.

I frown. Knowing what I know now about my father, I can see how much what happened hurt him. He may not have had control over his actions, but turning him away when he's sacrificed his life to come back and right the wrong he's helped create... there's no clear answer. It's all a shade of gray.

Don awkwardly stops laughing, he knows he hit a sore spot, "I'm sorry. That was stupid of me."

I take a deep breath, carefully thinking through each word, "And yet, it was said. No one's perfect, Don. There is no straight good or bad anymore. It's all just gray."

A police officer comes around the podium, "It's alright, sir, ma'm. He's gone."

"Thank you," I sigh as I get up to walk out.

"Jessie your arm!" Donovan says as I continue walking.

"Tell them I refuse treatment." I shout as I shove open the door. The familiar black sedan is waiting by the entrance. I slide into the backseat and close the door. I sigh and stare out the window.