Chapter 16 - Matters of the Heart

A/N: Hey guys, just so you know Llamsville is now Lake Falls :) Enjoy and let me know what you think.

-Jordan

*****************************

Chapter 16

I'm awoken by a knock at my window. I roll over and put my glasses on. The red numbers scream at my eyes as I struggle to keep them open. 3:20. Uggghhh, why am I up? As if on cue, there is another knock at the window. I groan and throw my blanket as I slowly make my way to the window.

I open it quickly, "If this is some kind of joke-"

I lose my words as I see a pair of familiar green eyes staring back at me. "Hey," he smiles.

"Hey."

He looks around, "Can I come in?"

"Oh! Yeah, sure. Sure."

He laughs as I move aside to let him in. I turn on my desk lamp as he looks around my room. "Not a posters girl?"

I let out a nervous laugh as he approaches my desk.

He picks up a picture frame on my desk and smiles, "You framed this?"

I nod and distance myself from him, "Yeah..."

He smirks as he reads the caption, "Best Friends 'Guy - Girl.' You just tore it out of the yearbook huh?"

"Mayyyybe..."

"Hard to believe that was almost three years ago... a lot's changed." He puts down the frame. "Jessie... my dad..." He sighs, "He told me I couldn't see you anymore."

I slowly nod and look to the stars, "So did mine... and my uncle..."

"I tried... but I- I had to see you."

"Chase, I could hurt you."

I hear him walk behind me, "We can work through it."

"Chase, I could really hurt you. I did that to my nightstand... I don't want that to be you."

"What are you saying?"

"Maybe they're right. Maybe we should be apart for awhile until I can control myself."

"Look me in the eyes and tell me that."

"I... I can't."

He slowly wraps his arms around me, "Why?"

A tear falls from my eye as I try to slow my heart rate, "I'd lose what restraint I have left."

His arms unwind as slowly as they came, "I understand..."

"I'm sorry, Chase."

The silence is deafening as I crawl back under my covers, gazing at the open window, wishing I could be a just a normal human being.

********************************

He lands silently behind the figure atop the gargoyle.

"What do you want?" The Guardian sneers.

"A friendly conversation."

"No thanks, pal, go find someone else to talk to."

"Wow, you're so polite to the guy that saved your life."

The Guardian rises from his position, "That was you?"

"Yes, sir. Your... girlfriend was very grateful."

Instantly, the Guardian grabs him from by his shirt. He is instantly shocked and lets go.

"That's not very nice, Guardian."