Chapter 20 - Science

My head throbs as I clench my eyes tighter, hoping to go back to whatever sleep I was in. I groan as I open my eyes for a split second, letting a small but bright light into the darkness.

"She's waking up!" I hear someone say as I stretch my arms and legs.

"Ten more minutes..." I moan as I try to roll over... wait a minute. My eyes shoot open. I can't move. I try to break out of whatever is holding me down.

"Jessie! Jessie, it's okay," Chase says as he comes to my side.

"Chase? Wh... What's going on?"

"We had to calm your body down and took a blood sample while you were under."

"Under where?"

I see him bite his lip, trying not to laugh.

I roll my eyes, "Oh grow up. Can I get out of this thing now?"

"You sure? I think I might stay here and annoy you some more where you can't touch me."

"You sure you want to try that? Annoy me enough and I'll break out."

"Chase, let her go before I let her throw you into the reservoir." Mr. Mason sighs as he walks into the Post with my father.

"Fine..."

He presses a switch and the metal bars around my limbs disappear into the table. I slowly sit up and slide to the edge of the table, looking up at the big screen.

"Did you find anything?"

"Yes!" Mr. Mason says, clearly excited about what he found, "I'm still analyzing it but so far it is amazing! No not just amazing, but fascinating!"

"Okay, dad, we get it," Chase groans, "You love science. Give us the simple explanation."

Mr. Mason glares at Chase, "You're no fun. Anyways, the amino acids that eventually form epinephrine, or adrenaline, have been slightly modified increasing the effect of the hormone on the body, giving you the heightened fight or flight affect."

"What about the speed?"

"I should have given you the caveman version, Chase... the fight or flight response either gives the person increased strength to fight, or increased speed to run. This increases the blood flow to the muscles and increases muscle tension, which heightens reflexes and balance and increases speed and strength."

"What about my injuries?" I ask. "When I was fighting, sometimes my vision would be really sharp when I had the concussion, and then it would go blurry."

"That is because of your pupils! They dilate when the hormones are released and clear up your vision. You are not by any means invincible. This affect is only temporary, even if there is a way for you to trigger it. Any injuries you receive will remain after the fight."

"Gotcha."

"Oh and because your metabolic rate increases when the response is activated, you need to eat."

"Don't need to worry about that. I love food."

"A lot."

My eyes narrow, "How much are we talking here?"

"Michael Phelps lot."

"I don't know if I can eat THAT much!"

"You can if you have to use your power every day... night rather."

"Okay, what else?"

"That's it for now! Eat up!"

"Thanks," I laugh as I walk towards the elevator.

"Oh! Jessie!"

"Yeah?"

"You will sweat more, so for the sake of all of us, wear deodorant."

"WHAT?!"

The doors start to close as I hear Mr. Mason shout, "Happy Sweating!"

Ew... I know sweating is a natural thing and all... but the thought of being caked with a lot of sweat... ew... I'm glad I know a little more about what's going on with me but still... ew.

*******************************

Short, I know, but I wanted to get something up for you guys with correct science :) Hope to update again soon.