Chapter 1 - The Guardian

Present day...

The clock strikes noon in my classroom at Lakeside University. I grab my things and hurry out of the room. I'd hate to run into-

"Hey." Chase...

"Hey, Chase." I continue to walk out of the room, hoping he'd take the hint.

"What's the rush, Jess?"

I see my father's silhouette in my head. "I thought I told you not to call me that."

"Right. Sorry, I never see you anymore... so I forgot."

"Yeah, that's because Abby has you wrapped around her finger."

"What was that?"

"Nothing..." Chase sighs. "Look, Chase I've got to go. Nice talking to you."

I walk faster and weave through various hallways to lose him. Once I'm outside, I glance behind me to make sure he's not there. Phew! Thank God! Chase and I used to be close growing up, but Abby Wainfield, his girlfriend, is doing everything in her power to keep him away from me. Just saying hello to him makes her feel threatened, so she sends has her friends torment me if they see me. Yeah, she's nuts.

I walk into town and go into Jaz's Flower Shop. Jazmine, the owner, is there with a bouquet of white roses on the counter.

"Hi, Jaz."

"Hi, Jessie, good day today?"

"Eh, it's alright."

"Well that means it will get better."

Jaz always knows what to say. She's been there for me since my mom died. She went to school with my uncle, but she's cool. She's like a sister to me. Someone knocks on the window.

"Who's that?" Jaz asks. I turn around and see Abby glaring at me through the glass. She does the "I've got my eye on you" gesture and walks away with her possy.

I sigh, "Chase's girlfriend, Abby."

"She's crazy."

"Tell me about it. I didn't even do anything today! He came up to me and started talking to me. I don't see what the problem is with that."

"She obviously doesn't like you."

"Gee, what gave you that impression?"

Jaz shoots me a look.

"He's always with her Jaz. It's annoying. I never see him, and when I do, he says hi to me. Then later, Abby goes all cuckoo bananas and takes it out on little old me."

"Honey, you could take that girl down in a heartbeat."

"You have no idea how much I want to. But I know that if I start a fight, Wilbur would kill me."

"Not if it's self-defense." We laugh. "Look, Jessie, if he is truly wrapped around her little finger as you say, I think she's acting that way because-"

"She's a bitch."

Jaz laughs, "No, because you are the only one who breaks her spell."

"So what do I do? Burn her at the stake?"

"No, just stand your ground, and if you're able to talk to Chase alone about it he'll listen."

"I doubt it."

"Bullshit, honey. He is your best friend, besides me of course."

"Thanks, Jaz. How much do I owe you?"

"Wil came by eariler and paid for the month. You're all set."

"Awesome. See you tomorrow!"

I continue my journey and walk into the alley where my mother died. There's a nice memorial there with her name from an annonymous donor. We still have no idea who donated it... probably Mr. Mason. He has always been interested in that kind of stuff, and it really hit him hard. I pick up the old bouquet from yesterday and put the new one down.