More Water Than Blood

"We're just friends..." My cheeks heat as I clarify; Caleb moves to the trunk.
"Oh. We all know where that goes." My mother poorly whispered. Caleb pulls out a surf board and shuts the trunk, turning towards us.
"Excuse me, I'm going to go to the shack." Caleb says, before walking towards the "Surf Station".
"I'm going with you!" I say, running to catch up to him before my parents can protest. As I'm jogging to catch up with Caleb, he swings his board and it almost smacks against my head. I hear hear him snicker, before finally reaching our destination. I am a little farther behind, waiting for him to put the board down; I slowly joined him on the dock.
"Why did you do that?" I ask breathlessly. I put my hands on the chipped, wooden table, inches from his board. I watch him grab a sponge filled with Surf Salt, and gently but forcefully, spread it on his board.
"I just like messing with you!" He sends me a look before proceeding with his activity. I walk over to a wooden pole holding the shack up. I place my back flat against it, and ask the question I have been dying to ask.
"I didn't know you surfed..."
"All the time! Its like my comfort activity. I have been doing it since I was four." He stopped scrubbing and look at me. "I bet I have swallowed so much that I have more water than blood." There was a long pause, both of us knowing how ironic that was. We both break the silence with our laughter's. He goes back to scrubbing as I ask another question.
"Have you ever gotten in any accidents?"
"Plenty." He points to a scar in his upper arm and explains, "I got this when I was nine. Thats just one of many; there's more where that came from." I walk over to him and trace the scar with my two fingers, a smile plastered on my face.
"Beautiful..." I mumble. I look up to his face to see confusion. I shake my head to clear my thoughts, and as I walk back to the pole, I explain. "One of my favorite quotes is, 'A scar simply means that you are stronger than whatever tried to hurt you'." I finally reach the pole and turn to see a smile on his lips. Not the casual smile, but the admiration smile. Suddenly, I get an amazing idea, enthusiasm pumping my feet as I walk towards him once more.
"I want to see you surf!"

°°°°°°|°°°°°°

"Go Caleb!" I yell, watching him paddle out into the flow free lake. A lot of boats were here today, thats an advantage, but its a hot day so alot of people in the water. I then remember my parents and sibling; Caleb and I, sneaked away. I turn around to make sure their not looking, but I find them still laughing at Justin. Jackson is hanging around this girl, probably writing down her number. Jackson says something to Justin and he walks towards the sand. At the end of the sand bank, it just drops off into four foot deep water. Jackson waves towards me and jogs the rest of his journey. When he reaches me, he's breathless; using me to keep balance.
"Hey."
"Tired of hearing my parents play favorites?" I ask, sarcasm think in my words. He elbows me, making us laugh.
"Other than ovoiding your parents, what are you doing down here?" He points out, knowing it must look weird just seeing me look out towards the water.
"I'm watching a friend." Jacksons eyes switch from watching girls to the water. Caleb was sitting on his board, with a wave flowing freely towards him. In no time it reached him, picking him up along with the others around him. He gently stands, making it look easy. He starts doing the "Signature Move" on his board, moving it on the wave. I hear both Jackson and me cheering as Caleb zooms past people. Soon he's the only one riding the wave; everyone else wiped out. We watch as he approaches the swimming area. He unhooks his Velcro strap and dives into the water. I realized I was holding my breath, until his head popped into view. He gets back onto his board and paddles to the cliff. When he reaches it he climbs up it, as a competitor lifts his board to him. I hear him say 'Thank you', before walking away. As he walks towards us he has his board tucked under his arm, and his free hand dragging through his hair. He has this huge smile plastured on his face, making him look brighter. Jackson and I had stopped cheering, but I then noticed my brother beside us.
"Don't worry, they left." Jackson mumbled. I let out a breath, relief hitting my body, but curiosity taking its place. "Man, that was sick! But I've seen you do better." Justin says, slapping hands with Caleb.
"Thanks! I had so much fun; and those Kiddo's, their really good too." Caleb turned behind him and we all watched him waved towards a little boy who looked at least ten. The kid looked like he got an autograph from Tom Cruise.
"Where all have you surfed?" Jackson asked, pulling our attention back on him.
"He's been everywhere!" Justin says, motioning for Caleb to continue.
"I have been in competitions since I was eleven." Caleb says, Jackson and I dropping our mouths.
"At the last one he had a bad wipe out..." Justin trailed off. When have they done all this together? I push that thought aside as I ask about it.
"What does he mean?" I point it towards Caleb. His eyes go a little distant, but his glow still as bright as ever.
"I was fifteen, in a competition with professionals. I got hit multiple times; I felt my board crush something inside me..." He paused, "Someone purposely knocked me off my board, sending me into the water. I would've been fine if it wasn't for the board being connected to me. I was under water for at least six minutes. When the emergency water boat got to me, I was unconscious. I was in a coma for three days, two broken ribs, and my arm was badly broken."
"Wasn't you scared to get back in the water?" Jackson pipes up.
"Of course, but once I stood up I felt the fear wash away..." I smiled, I always knew he was the type.
"Do you still have scars?" Jackson adds; he's on a roll.
"Yeah, plenty." Caleb sends a wink at me, jolting me back to our past conversation. I don't know if its from the sun or me blushing, but I feel my cheeks heat.
"I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for the water!" Justin says, running to the cliff before jumping off. Jackson follows behind, but does a cannonball to 'impress the ladies'. Caleb sticks his board into the sand as I throw my pants next to it. I shredded those suckers when we reached the sand. Caleb surprises me by picking me up over his shoulder and starts carring me to the water. I pound on his back, not even phasing him. When we reach the cliff he slides me into a bridal style hold. I look into his eyes, suddenly unaware of what's going to happen to me. He smiles, his lips turning on the sides. I smile back and prepare myself, holding my nose. He laughs before he tosses me into the air. When I hit the water, cold, yet warm, water covers me. I swim to the top, breathing for air. When I get there, I sound like I died. Everyone laughs around me, as Caleb jumps in beside me; slashing me on purpose. I gently slap his arm when he surfaces, making him tackle me.

***

We spent the day swimming mostly. Caleb surfed a few more times, us all watching from the sand. He tried to get me onto the board, but I have such bad balance, I feel right off; I didn't even get to a wave. We stayed till the workers told us to leave; we were the last ones there. I was very burnt, like in pain. In the car, I rested my head on Caleb's shoulder. Every bump we hit, the more I felt the pain. Last thing I remember is hearing Jackson and Justin singing to Hannah Montana. I was humming it for awhile, but I dozed off.

***

I roll over, popping my back at least three times. Through my droopy eyes, I look at my alarm clock, dazed when I read seven o'clock. I look to the side if my nightstand to find Jackson sleeping. He is slumped in a very uncomfortable position, with his mouth slightly opened; I had to stop myself from laughing. Then my eyes wonder to the floor, where Caleb laid. His arms were tucked behind his head as a pillow; his stomach rising and falling as he breathed. I almost daydreamed about his beautiful, Hazel eyes-
Suddenly my attention is placed in something beside me. It made a really loud noise; like a constipated elephant. I look over to see my brother, with his hand on his face, drooling and snoring at the same time. I cringed my nose, wishing it was Caleb here instead. He rolls over, into a different position, muting his snores. I look back at Caleb, wishing he was awake. I then feel the cooling sensation on my face. I remember the pain from the car ride, but now it doesn't hurt at all. I see an Aloe bottle on my nightstand, half empty. How much did they put on me? I hear Jackson mumble something about a 'Jessica', but I ignore it. Boys. I look at Caleb once more, imagining his eyes looking into mine. I feel my eyelids droop closed, but I don't fight it. I have work tomorrow, might as well get some sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading!

Please comment your thoughts! I want some feed back, please!

I will definitely write soon!

- Emuna_Jasmine