Home is Too Far Away

His arms embrace me, pulling me closer to his warm, comfortable body.
"I miss this." I mumble out, knowing it was just a dream.
"What do you miss the most?" Caleb murmurs close to my ear.
"Justin's snores. Jacksons pickup lines. Katie's comments on my fashion. My mom complaining I never visit. Dad swearing I've lost weight. And you're hugs." I let out a breath after I'm done naming off my list.
"My kisses aren't being missed?" He smirks, playing hurtful again.
"Those are in the bonus round." I turn my head around, and he gently kisses me.
"What else is in this 'Bonus Round'?" He asks when we separate.
"Hearing you say 'I love you'." I whisper.
"I love you." He whispers and I feel shivers roll down my back.
"Isabelle. Isabelle!" I start to hear Ella's voice and I slowly start to see Caleb fade. I want to reach out and pull him back, but suddenly exhaustion overwhelms me.
"What?" I say rather grouchy. "You took Caleb away from me!"
"Well, sorry!" She sleepily shoots back. "I couldn't sleep over your laughter!"
"What time is it?" I mumble, planting my face into my pillow.
"Two."
"A.M.?" I pull my face up, long enough to see her nod. "Ugh. I just fell asleep too!"
"Can't sleep either?" She moves from sitting on her knees to placing her back against the headboard.
"I haven't seen my family in over a month! Yeah. I'm a little excited and impatient...."
"Were you just having a dream about Caleb?"
"Hey, I can feel you judging!" She laughs and I sit up too, only criss crossing my legs and snuggling with my pillow. "We were cuddling...."
"That's actually cute." She shrugs her shoulders. "I wonder if he dreams about you too!" She leans forwards trying to get me thinking again.
"I wonder if he does...." I go off into my own thinking box.
"So, help me prepare for your family." I groan playfully.
"I'm too tired!" I lay back down on my side facing her. She laughs and lays down too.
"Obviously you haven't gotten much sleep, and I don't think you're going to anytime soon, easily. Plus, I'm kinda nervous...." She gets a little more shy on the last part.
"True. I finally fell asleep a little over an hour ago." I look over her face and realise the normal look she gets when she's nervous. "Why are you nervous to meet my family?"
"I don't know. You're my only friend, and my best friend... And," She hides her face with her pillow. She mumbles something, but I can't make it out.
"And what?" I ask, leaning forward. She says it again, not removing the object that is causing me not to hear her. "Ella, I can't understand-"
"I kinda like your brother." She finally spits out. She cringes a little, her fears loud and clear. I am shocked, considering we are talking about Justin Johnson.... "It started since we met on Skype. In your office... He contacted me through the main desk... We've talked everyday since...."
"I'm not mad."
"I know he's your brother, and I'm- Wait, what?" She stops from continuing.
"I'm not mad." I repeat.
"I'm grateful, but may I ask why you're so calm about this?" Ella sits up again.
"He's been so miss treated by Julie, and he constantly goes back to her; even after she played him, over and over again." I pause, "I know you won't purposely hurt him." She smiles back at me as if I said the magic words. "So, does he like you?" I sit up again too.
"I don't know." She blushes while she shrugs her shoulder's. I gently push her, being playful.
"Oh come on!" I laugh, "How does he talk to you?"
"Well he kinda talks tough, but I love the moments when I can get him to really talk. Ya know?" I nod, physically answering her question.
"He's been hurt and left a lot, it may take him a while...."
"Has he been in many relationships?"
"Only around three, that were serious." I answer.
"What happened with them?"
"Well," I sigh, "One left, because of me."
"Oh." She lays on her back. "May I ask why?"
"Well, I was in high school and I needed my big brothers support in something. His fiancé at the time, was kinda put on the back burner, and she made him choose between the two of us."
"She made him choose between family and girlfriend." She repeats, and I nod. "That's so wrong."
"I'm glad you think so." We both start laughing.

~~~

"Man, I wish they would just hurry already!" I hiss, waiting outside the airports office. I have yet to see my family, but instead I'm stuck on the wrong side of the gate.
"Isabelle, calm down. Their going to find your luggage." Ella insists.
"They shouldn't have lost it in the first place!" I snap, my hands going behind my neck. I'm trying to keep myself entertained and away from what's in front of me, but it's barely working.
"Will you quiet!" Ella pulls me to sit next to her, stopping my pacing feet. "You're making me dizzy just watching!" Now that I can't calm my angry nerves, I start getting fidgety. I start tapping my foot, and bouncing my leg; trying to settle my nerves. I was about ready to stand up and start ranting again, until an older man stepped out of the baggage claim room.
"Finally!" I mutter. Ella naturally gently hits my arm, disciplining my actions.
"Someone else accidentally grabbed your bag, ma'am. Good thing they brought it back." The older man looks about in his younger 40's and has a huge gut. I pull the handle, and it gets longer.
"Thanks." I nod my head, now focused on getting to Caleb. I mean, everyone else too.... Who am I kidding? I mean Caleb.
"Izzy!" Ella's voice is distant, and I turn to look for her.
"Come on slow poke!" I yell over the crowded airport lobby. I look frantically around for the gate we need to go through to get out of here.
"Look!" Ella points to gate #5 when she reaches me. I somehow squeal and almost start skipping. Instead I try to walk as normally as possible....  I probably got another hour of sleep last night, so I'm sure I don't look the best, but I applied makeup and tried to hide that fact.
"Ella, come on!" I stop and see her having difficulties with her suitcase. She eventually gets going and I am practically bouncing, trying to make her go faster. When she reaches my side, I try to keep the same pace as her. When we make it to the gate, along with so many others waiting to return home, my body is on the border of excitement. When we are at least 20 steps away, I run to the end of the gate, seeing it open up into another lobby; brighter than the one we just exited. I frantically look through the busy airport, looking for any familiar face. When I see his face near the exit of the whole building, I freeze for a few seconds. They all are in a group, just as I left them, waiting for me to arrive. My mom already has tears on her cheeks, and everyone else is looking around. Caleb looks so much more handsome then I remember and my vision blurs from my tears. I see him wearing the beanie I got him before I left, and I feel my throat swell. I feel Ella come beside me and she nods her head. I send a smile, and a laugh escapes my throat as I start walking towards my family. It turned into a run, but Caleb saw me when I was a little past half way. His arms opened up and I gladly ran into his embrace.
"Don't let go!" I murmur against his chest.
"I don't plan on it."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading!

Sorry it took longer, but at least its here! Please comment what you think!

How was the dream? Weird? Cute? Romantic?
How was the reunion? More to come in the next chapter!!

- Emuna_Jasmine