What's My Fate?

I plop down on my bed. Well, my other bed. The one I temporarily sleep in until I can be by Caleb's side. It's been a month, give or take, and I have worked my butt off. I don't think I have stopped working on my story....
"Rough day?" Ella breaks away from the phone in her ear.
"Rough year." I groan. She laughs and then has to explain to Justin why. I shake my head, her eyes catching it, giving me a little push as I walk past her. I decide on taking a shower, wanting to look my best for the feedback I'm getting tomorrow. 'Union Books', is bringing in a set of people who where given my novel to read. If they give good reports, then Jackie will give me my options as to how I can still publish my books with this company. As soon as I get the clear to leave, I'm outta here; and tomorrow is when I'm getting that clear, along with how I can continue writing. When the water hits my back, the steady drumming relaxing my body, I remember Caleb massaging my back when I was stressed. I start to cry, but I stop it soon, pushing myself to carry on.

~~~

"How excited are you?" My mothers voice rings through the phone, catching me off guard. I got little to no sleep, and she's the one who wakes me up...
"More like nervous." I grumble, getting out of bed. I look at my alarm clock, and I feel panic swarm over me. Late? I screach, my feet carrying me into the bathroom. I somehow ended my conversation with my mom, but I don't really remember how... I decide to straighten my hair, trying to look professional. I add my makeup, making my eye shadow a bit darker than usual to match my brown, bejeweled top. I slide on my jeans, and a pair of open toed sandals. I know I'm going to regret this.... I add my matching earrings and bracelet, bringing attention to the outfit. I hear my phone vibrate on my desk and I read the message Ella sent.

=>
Don't be late! :P
=>

I laugh out loud, nervously. Ella had left earlier this morning; Jackie needed her to help with the guests paperwork. I grab my bag and my peacoat, and I'm out the door. By the time I reach the building, I'm a few minutes early.
"Wow, you surprised me." Ella jokes as she stands by the main desk. I wave at Talia, the lady I asked on my first day, 'where to go'.
"You're lucky I was hard headed and determined to prove you wrong." I jokingly snap, stepping into the elevator with her beside me. I push the correct level I want to go to and I fiddle with my watch nervously.
"Well, I tried to wake you up, but no, you didn't want to listen to me." She pouts, crossing her arms.
"No wonder you like my brother." I mumble, sending a quick glance to see her blush.
"Shut up." I start to reply, proud she finally stopped denying the truth, until the doors opened revealing an impatient Jackie.
"You're late."
"I'm fashionablely tardy." I make a sarcastic point, hoping to boost my friends spirit.
"They have been waiting for ten minutes." She let's out an exhausted breath. I feel my knees go out and Ella grabs ahold of me. She helps me out and sets me against the wall.
"I ruined it, didn't I?"
"Oh, I don't think that is the problem. You can talk about your story like it's an undercover job, and you have a pretty good reason to get home." Her eyes point naturally to my ring. I start to play with it, making my finger red. I brush off the imaginary dust on my clothes and I very confidently joined those who read my book in the conference room. There is a teenager, a man, and an elderly lady. I swallow as they break from their intense conversations, switching their eyes onto me.
"Hello." I feel my legs start to wobble, and I smile nervously. "I'm Isabelle," I pause, "Johnson." I add, mentally smacking myself for trying to talk casually to these people.
"I'm Mel." The older lady brings out her hand. She has wrinkles on her forehead, and her cane was placed beside her chair. She looks like she was in her early 70's. Once I shake it, the man stands forward.
"Drake." I shake his hand also, and his touch made me think of Caleb. His features were totally different, barely had any hair, military tattoo's and camouflage pants. He had a scar on his arm, big enough to be from a bomb. Next was the young lady, who reminded me of, well, me.
"Kyla." She said, chipper than the rest. She had her hair in a pony tail and bangs that crossed her eyes. She was dressed in a skirt, a fancy top, and tie.
"It's nice to meet you guys, and thank you for taking the time to read my book."
"It was amazing!" The younger girl burps out, almost as if she couldn't contain it anymore. I cover my mouth, tears filling my eyes.
"Thank you!" I finally respond.
"It was very indulging." Mel speaks, her voice cracking from old age.
"The thing I liked the most, was even though it's a sappy, romantic novel, it caught my attention very easily." Drake steps up, and I feel my tears fall. I wipe them away, and I stumble into the open chair.
"The 'love story' kept me going, considering he fought for her, stood by her, and even fulfilled her dreams." Kyla adds, as the other two figure up more to say.
"The mixture of Military, and everyday living; I related to." Drake speaks, and by now, I'm drowning in my own tears.
"Your poetic words caught my attention. The plot was beautiful, but the way you described what was going on was magical."

~~~

"Well," Jackie joins me outside the break room. I had to leave, considering I broke down not too much longer.
"Did I scare them off?" My voice is a plea, showing my distress.
"They have made up their minds..." She pauses and Ella turns her attention over to me. I start to play with my ring, sending up prayers. "They love you."
I take in several deep breaths, my knees giving out on me, causing me to push my weight onto the wooden table in the middle of the room. They love me. They love me! Because they love me, I get to go home to the one I love! I stand on my two feet, carrying myself into the main room. I see the three people, that I am so grateful for, heading for the exit. I run to them, shouting out for them to wait. When they turn, revealing their confused faces. I naturally break down in tears; looking like a complete mess....
"Thank you," I struggle, "So much!"
"You are an amazing writer," Mel smiles, her lips wrinkling in the corners.
"Not just for my book, but for my ride home." I wipe away more tears. "I have been away for months, and I am greatly needed there...." They all send me smiles, and we all share a laugh. "Do you mind if I give you a hug?" I finally say, knowing it's weird, but whatever.
"Sure..." I step forward, wrapping my arms around Mel. "Oh, sweet child, you must really miss home."
"Yes, I do. I have someone special waiting on me to wake up." I pull away.
"I really do look forward to reading more of your books."
"Thank you!" I say, once more as they finally make their way onto the elevator. I wave right before the doors close.

~~~

"To Isabelle." Jackie cheers into the air, and I consider pushing her off the bar stool.
"Iz!" Ella raises her little glass, the two looking at me expectantly. I roll my eyes, before picking up my nonalcoholic drink. Their two shot glasses make a clink sound, and I laugh as mine stays silent. As they drown their drinks, I take a sip of my Shirley Temple.
"Why aren't you jumping up and down?" Ella bends over the table so I could hear her over the blaring music.
"Yeah, Ella and I seem more excited than you!" Jackie shakes me, and I giggle.
"I'm just going to miss you guys." I lower the mood, making everyone stare at he table in sadness.
"I'm not staying." Ella blurs out, grabbing another shot off the waitresses tray as it passed. I watch as her face shows the sting traveling down her throat. The music lowers and we, for once, don't have to shout to hear one another.
"What? I have to say goodbye to the both of you?" Jackie groans, placing her hand in her palm.
"I like it where Izzy lives, and I would miss my best friend too much...."
"I sure am going to miss writing my stories." I mumble.
"Oh yeah!" Jackie numbly hits her forehead as if trying to remember something. "You can still work at my company."
"Jackie, I need to be home. I want to be home." I desperately let out a breath, already eager for the flight I scheduled for this week.
"You can still be at home." Jackie shouts over the rising music. "You can do it all online."
"What?" I yell back, but Jackie grabs more drinks.
"I'll explain later!" This time we all take a toast, alcohol siding down our throats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you for reading!

I was hoping on ending it differently, but I had already wrote so much....
I'm gonna be sad when I end this; I've grown attached to my characters! :(

- Emuna_Jasmine