More Than Just a Surprise

I lunge my bag over my shoulder, and I casually take my time. I know I should be excited to see my family, but the thought of Caleb not being there, to welcoming me in his strong arms, made my stomach twist. The thought of me doing my work while in Caleb's hospital room, killed me. Ella gets her bag off the belt and stands next to me. She has been so understanding with all this mess. Yes, I am a mess.
"A  beautiful mess." I hear Caleb response mentally, in my head, to my harsh comment.
"I still can't believe you came with me." I call out, over the loud noise in the busy airport.
"Well," she huffs, not so gently, setting her bags down. "I wanted out of that place."
"You're lucky I got you an interview at my old job." I nudge her shoulder, a smile playing at my lips.
"I'm actually nervous though." She shudders.
"Why? I thought you wanted to 'expound your boundaries'?"
"I do," She nervously picks up her bag and her suitcase. "I'm just nervous, okay?"
"Hey," I reassure, "You're going to do fine. You basically already have the job, considering Mr. Flimber loves me."
"Everyone loves you." She playfully scoffs and I gently shove her. She looses her balance and runs into someone. I die laughing while she is nonstop apologizing.
"You're fine." The man stands upright and I see her throwing playful hits on his shoulder. I look over and see my brother covering his face in defense.
"What-How are you here?" I pull him into a brotherly hug.
"I know the security guard." He smirks.
"You know what?" I pat his chest, "I never asked."
"Good girl." He smiles before hugging Ella.
"Wait." I pull his attention back on me, "How did you know we would-"
"Be here? Yeah, I caught your plan." I turn and hide my face, embarrassment swallowing me up. I feel his arm swing around my shoulders and I look up at him, "I understand." He says sympathetically. I bury my face in his chest, and he wraps his arms around me. I've needed a hug from my brother.

***

We sat at the food court, and I was anticipating the time to see them all now. I had told them all to be here around ten in the morning, but we have been here since 8. I lied; because I didn't want to be even more crushed when I didn't see Caleb with them. I refused to eat, knowing they we're all going to drag me to my favorite restaurant. Ella and Justin sat on the opposite side of me, trying to hide their hand holding under the table.
"So, are you guys going to finally tell me what this is?" I point at them and Ella turns pink.
"I want to take it slow, considering she was just engaged." Justin boldly speaks up.
"But I'm ready to move on." Ella turns her eyes to him as she speaks. I smile and watch them harmlessly argue.
"Iz! Aren't you going to help me?" Ella calls out and I shake my head. She turns her head back to stay something else, but stops when Justin suddenly plants a surprise kiss on her. I laugh at how cheesy he is, and I look away to give them more privacy.
"Where did you learn that from?" I hear Ella's giggle.
"Caleb." I turn my head back to them at the sound of his name. Tears swell up in my eyes; and I smile at my memories.

***

I'm ready to see my parents. I'm ready to see Katie and Jackson. I am beyond ready to see Caleb; asleep or not.
"Come on, slow pokes!" I yell back at the two love birds. Ella giggles, and Justin runs up to match my quick pace.
"What with the urgency to see them now?"
"I want to see my family." My short response answered it all. Sure, I knew Caleb wasn't going to be there, but my mom and dad will be. Calebs parents will be, and so will Jackson and Katie! I was ready to see my family. As we rounded the corner, I saw them all standing in a big family circle. My eyes watered, and I got excited. As my eyes ran over everyone, the sadness I knew would be there doubled in my chest. Justin grabs my hand and sends me a glance.
"They love you too."
"I know." I grab my rolling suitcase and I look back at Ella. She motions with her hands, pushing me to go ahead. I quickly make it over to them all, and they all greet me with warm hugs and "I miss you's".
"My little baby!" My mother pulls my hair behind my ear. The tears didn't spill onto my cheeks, but they came close, plenty of times.
"Ma." I smile, giving her another big hug.
"I'm so excited for your book to come out! You bet I'll be waiting for it!"
"I wouldn't doubt it." I laugh, seeing my dad shake his head in fake disappointment.
"She'll read it all in one setting, if ya let her." My dad teases and mom playfully shoves him. The question sits on the back of my tongue, but I can't.
"We have a surprise for you." My mom takes ahold of his hand and glances at everyone around us. "It's a 'welcome home' gift; from all of us." I smile lightly, ready to protest but she smiles and gives another quick hug.
"Mom-" Ella stands beside me and I look over at the showing off couple. "Took you long enough." I tease and she nudges my shoulder. She motions with her head to look in front of me, and I stubbornly sigh, giving into my absurd family. Automatically, my eyes blur.
"Caleb?" My voice cracks. He takes my hands and this all seems like a sick illusion.
"Isabelle." I catch my breath and I no longer can contain myself. I lose my grip on my emotions, tears streaming down my cheeks and my arms never letting go as I bring him closer. I cry into the corner of his neck, not caring how pathetic I must look to those who have never heard our story. "I love you, so much." He whispers, "You'll never know."
"When did you- Why didn't you- How are you not mad?" All these question fumble out of my mouth and he kisses the top of my head.
"About three weeks ago. I was officially released from the hospital a couple days ago." I place my hands onto his chest, still keeping me close to him. "When I woke up, it all happened so quickly. I started to freak, wondering what kind of state you were in. I was torn when they told me you left to follow your dream; you made the right decision, but man did I want you beside me." I let out a laugh, tears still falling.
"How did you keep this from me?" I turn around to give Justin my most angriest, but joking, look.
"Because, I knew you'd eventually love me again." He smarts off, and I turn my eyes back to Caleb.
"I have missed you so much." I murmur, placing my head against his chest. I listened to his heartbeat, hearing the rhythm that I had been dreaming about since that dreadful day I had chose to leave.
"Hey," He kisses my head and I lift my eyes to meet his. "Do you remember that debt you owe me?"
"You mean, when you went to Jail for Justin?" My voice is laced with confusion. Why bring this up now?
"You was sent to Jail?" Ella's voice turns our attention away.
"No, woman! Didn't you hear her; he went for me!" Justin defends. Ella grabs his hand and pulls him a few feet away.
"I'm ready for the payment." He smiles from ear to ear, making my stomach fumble; the lazy butterflies decided to get their wings moving.
"What?" I question, "Right now?" He nods his head and I laugh at his goofy smile.
"I love you so much." He takes ahold of my hand and kisses the backside. I look back at Ella, who is no longer furious at my brother. He let's go of my hand and the warmth declines. She smiles like an idiot too, and my eyebrows knit together, displaying my confusion. When I turn my head back to Caleb, my eyes go lower than the height he was at a moment ago. My eyes blur once more, and I cover my mouth with my hands.
"Isabelle Johnson. I am in love with you. I always will be. The thing I want most in life is you. I will do anything to make you happy; just look at the lengths we've went already! I want to take care of you, even when I can't take care of myself. I love you Isabelle, and I want to live the rest of my life loving you."
I'm speachless; the man I love is  standing on one knee, proposing, and I can barely breathe.
"Isabelle will you marry me?"

That was the ultimate question. I knew my answer, I always had, I just had to find the energy in me to push it out. Through the crowd surrounding us, taking pictures and video recording, I conjured up everything I had.
"Yes. Of course I'll marry you."

Isabelle Thompson.
Has a nice ring to it, don't ya think?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading!

Well, this is my last actual chapter. I'm gonna end it. :(
I'm going to add another chapter, but it will just be an epilogue. It won't be too long, but it will be the last chapter I write in this story of mine. I'm kinda sad to see it go... I've grown attached to this couple: Caleb && Isabelle =)
'Stay tuned for' my next "chapter"!

- Emuna_Jasmine