Dinner Please?

I stare into the mirror, feeling my nerves erupting. This isn't me. I slide off the tight purple dress, and I pull on my nice pair of jeans. I find a casual/dressy top, and I pull it over my head. I observe my reflection and my nerves rise again. This isn't appropriate! I disagree with my second option and I pull on a casual, flowing, poke-a-dot/solid black dress. I tie a belt around my waist to look casual but fancy. I slide on my tan heals with a bow on the toes. I hear a knock on the door and I nervously skip to answer it. When I open the door, I see Caleb, who actually looks pretty calm. Blue jean flannel jacket and khakis looks really good on him....
"Wow." His eyes scan my outfit. My eyes widen and I start to walk to my room.
"I knew this was a bad idea. This is like my fourth outfit! I have nothing to wear, but I have so many clothes-"
"Isabelle, you look amazing!" Caleb grips my hand before I can disagree on everything in my closet.
"Are you sure?" My voice shows my nerves, and he plants a kiss on my cheek.
"You look gorgeous." My cheeks heat, and I continue to my room.
"I just need to add my accessories...." I murmur. I clasp my 'Hope' necklace around my neck, and my gold and silver bracelet-rings. "Are you nervous?" I whisper, noticing him rolling up his sleeves behind me.
"Maybe. But if I say I'm nervous, then you'll be even more nervous; so no, I am not." His words barely make sense, but I pretty much got my answer. I add my matching earrings and my favorite rings. Grabbing my clutch, I sprinkle my purfume on my body in the bathroom. I had brushed my teeth when I got out of the shower, so I popped a mint in my mouth just in case. While on my way out, I grip Caleb's hand and pull him into the main room.
"Don't you look fancy." I hear Jackson mutter from the kitchen.
"Thank you." I ignore his sarcasm, choosing to be positive tonight.
"Anytime." He walks backwords till I can't see him.
"Ready?" Caleb's arm loops with mine and I send him a wavering smile.
"Yes."
The car ride was filled with Caleb trying to explain how I have no reason to be nervous. We decided to meet up at Olive Garden, the most casual but fancy, restaurant we have in our town.
"Its just going to be my parents, and my sister, who will keep my parents busy." I turn my head to see him, and I squeeze his hand to have him look at me.
"What do you mean by busy?"
"Well," he pauses, taking a deep breath, his eyes switching from me to the road. "She's kind of a trouble-maker. She is twenty-one, and she's going through the wild stage." I swallow, tapping my free hand on the door handle. "You have no reason to be worried." He sends me a reassured smile which I nearly believe.
"But what if they don't like me...."
"No matter what they think, I always will." We pull into the restaurants parking lot, and I take his last words to heart. He hops out and rushes to get my door. On a normal day, I will usually unconsciously do it myself, but I really didn't want to get out of the truck; so I just waited. He helps me out and I straighten my dress once my feet hit the ground. He leads me by the hand towards the building, as I took deep breaths to calm myself.
"Caleb." I hear a stern voice. I look up from the ground and I swallow one last time before I stay up.
"Dad, this is Isabelle." Caleb introduces me, and I shake his hand.
"Is this the girl you always talk about?" I hear a softer voice and my attention goes to his mother. She is dressed in dress pants, and a long sleeve button up flowery shirt. His father was placed in a suit and tie, making me wonder if he ever wears anything different.
"Let's sit." His dad grumps, taking off towards the dinning area.
"Jordyn's late." His mother whispers, squeezing between the two of us.
"I doubt that's what the problem is...." Caleb sighs and his mother keeps smiling.
"I may have forced him into this, but he's going to appreciate it eventually." She says positively. "Plus, you seem like a lovely lady." She turns her head to me and I smile.
"Thank you. Its nice to meet you. I mean, it would be very nice, but my nerves are really high and I-"
"Isabelle," Caleb raises his eyebrows at me and I realize I was rambling. I mentally slap myself, biting my tongue on the inside.
"Its nice to meet you too, Isabelle. He makes everyone tense, but you have no need to be. Just be yourself, and we will approve." She continues to walk without us and I feel like we've been walking through the entire building. Caleb's parents were in front of us, arms hooked, and mouths whispering to each other.
"I already messed up, didn't I?" I think out loud.
"No, my dad is just, that way." He huffs, and I remember why he had a reason to be nervous.
"Oh, Caleb. I'm sorry, I was too busy thinking about my own fears that I never stood there for you. You don't need to worry about me, okay?" I grab his hand to pull him aside.
"He just has never been the same since Troy died, towards me." He paused, "I just don't want his grudge against me, to stop him from seeing what a lovely, beautiful woman you are." I kiss his cheek.
"Honestly, you make me happy. Not your parents; you." I give him a quick kiss on the lips, to prove my point. When we turn back to walk, we find them looking at us. Caleb's father had the disappointed scowl, but his mother smiled with admiration. Caleb firmly grips my hand and leads me to the table, proving how I boosted his confidence. He pulls out my chair and I sit down. I pick up the menu, as I look to Caleb sitting beside me. The restaurant has nearly no one in the building, but its six thirty. I haven't ate all day, such as my nerves being so high. I skipped breakfast, and lunch; Justin teasing me with his food the entire time. I was mostly nervous about the food part, seeing as I'm very picky. I place my nail on the edge of my teeth, contemplating on what to order. Every now and then, I'd sneak a little glimpse towards the adults across from me. There was a seat placed at the end of the table, which what I guess was there for Jordyn, that was still empty. Before long, we order our drinks and we make small talk.
"How long were you in school?" His mother questions, which I soon find out her name is Hillary.
"Well, after I graduated, I spent the summer with my friends and family before I took off. I was in college for around four years." I take a sip of my Sprite after I finish answering.
"Caleb says you love to write, is that correct?"
"Yes, I always have. I work for the newspaper; checking for any errors or 'mess ups'."
"How do you get to work and back?" Her voice sounds more to herself.
"I actually take cabs...." I slowly fade out, wondering if it would sound weird to them. "But sometimes, Caleb gives me a ride-"
"Have you slept with my son?" Hillary's husband sternly asks, and I feel my whole body freeze. My face burns from slight embarrassment, and my fingers twitch as I try to keep busy with my dress.
"Leo!" Hillary disciplines.
"Dad?" Caleb's voice sounds embarrassed, but defensive.
"What? Your mother is playing twenty questions so I thought I would ask too." I swallow my fears and I pull myself together.
"No, I have not slept with your son. Caleb respects my wishes on waiting." I hold Caleb's hand on the table and I notice Hillary's face light up from shock.
"Well, I always tried to teach my sons how to properly treat a lady, so at least that paid off." He mutters before taking a drink of his Spanish Alcoholic Beverage. The table goes silent, and Caleb takes my hand in his below the table for now. Suddenly, our attention is pulled away from any question that might have been asked. A girl with black, ripped leggings and a holter top sits down at the table. She shows signs of hatred on her face and she looks as if she belongs in a bar. She smirks at me and then glares at her parents defiantly.
"Hi mommy. Hi daddy." She mocks with an 'Angelic' voice. Leo's face gets even more distorted from disappointment. His scowl just digs deeper roots in his jaw. Hillary tries to hide her disappointment and it reminds me of my mother.
"Jordyn." I hear Leo mutter.
"Hey sis." Caleb sends a head nods her way, as she raises a hand to accept it.
"Why'd you have to come here dressed like that, Jordyn?" Her mothers soft voice gently asks.
"Because, mom, I wanted to personally hear you ask that." She rolls her eyes.
For the way Caleb described it; they sure will be busy....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many like Jordyn?
Is she too "bad" for this family?

Please leave a comment!

I tried to write sooner, so you guys wouldn't wait so long(:

- Emuna_Jasmine