First Day

"Mrs. Union." I swallow, my throat getting tight. Her smile is warm and I wonder if it's a show. She makes her way towards me and I shuffle with my clothes. Her outfit includes; a pencil skirt, a business jacket, and to top it off, nude heals. She has two people following distantly behind her, probably her assistances.
"Please, call me Jacklin, or Jackie." When she reaches my spot, I hold out my hand.
"Isabelle." We shake hands.
"You have come a long distance, haven't you?"
"Yes." I sigh, pulling back a strand of hair. "Long flight, not a lot of sleep... Left a lot of family too." I quietly add.
"We are glad to have you! I am in love with your writing." She exclaims, motioning for me to walk with her to the elevator. "I actually got a copy of your book from Mr. Flimber, your old boss, and I couldn't put it down!"
"Really?" I'm shocked; the head of my dream business, loves my work? This is unreal.
"The way you write your mysteries, it blows me away. And the little amounts of romance you throw in too! You're just amazing to me." She turns to me once we stand in the elevator. "I want to help you publish it."
"Really?" I repeat, making it seem as if that was the only word I could get out.
"Yes. Are you up for some long, hardworking nights?" She proudly asks.
"How long do you think this will take?"
"About five to six months, maybe more." When we reach the level she pressed, it opens to a hug room. Every wall is glass, allowing you to see the scenery. She makes her way to the desk by the far wall. I sit down in her recliner, made for her guests.
"What about rising in my career."
"I could make something work, especially with Mr. Flimber. We have worked together for years, and we love helping young ones like yourself achieve their goals." My body shudders from excitement. "We can move you into a more suitable place, and we can open up an office for you here, so you can work on your art yourself." She motions to someone at the door, and they disappear.
***
"Look at the view!" I exclaim, pointing my screen so Caleb could see the height this building goes.
"Isabelle, that's amazing!"
"Man, this place is amazing! I can't believe I'm going to be here for six months!" I sit down in my desk chair, realizing what I just said. When I look at the screen, I see Caleb trying to look happy. He's really bad at faking. "Caleb-"
"Isabelle, that's great!" He pulls on a real smile, and I break inside. "Hey, don't let me ruin your day! I'll talk to you later, I got to get to work."
"Just wipe some oil on your face, you'll look like you've been working." I giggle, his camera positioned so his coworkers didn't know he was talking to me.
"I'll wipe some oil on your face!" He threatens, making us both laugh at the thought.
"Miss. Johnson," I hear a fragile voice at the door. I hide my phone under the desk, hitting my hand as I try to play it cool.
"Yes?"
"I'm-"
"Caleb! You're supposed to be working!" I freeze at the sound of Mike's voice. The lady at the door stays stiff, her eyes widening at the sound coming from my phone.
"Sorry, I was just, uh...." He always has such bad excuses. "I wanted to check the price of a part I need." Smooth.
"Get busy!"
"Yes, sir." He has a teasing voice, but also a decent amount of respect. I hang my head, knowing I'm busted.
"Caleb," I pull my phone out, telling myself not to look up at the woman, knowing I could get fired for this... "I have to go...."
"Okay," he whispers, sneaking a smile on his lips, showing his tease. "I love you!" His voice picks up, and I cover my speaker. He continues to shout, and I hear the woman laugh. I look up and she covers her mouth with her hand, her muted laughter leaking out of the cracks. "I won't stop till you say it back!" He shouts, making sure I heard him over my attempts. I uncover the speaker and the screen;
"Fine. I love you." He blows me an airborne kiss and clicks off. We decided that we would never stay goodbye, seeing as it felt like we would never talk again.
"Sorry to interrupt your business, Miss. Johnson, but I thought I would introduce myself."
"I'm sorry, I just had to tell someone about everything today." I stand up, naturally brushing off my pants. "And it's Isabelle, please."
"I'm Ella Randoff, your assistance." She extends her hand. "I get whatever you need."
"Wow."
"Coffee, papers, lunch, etc." She explains.
"Friendship? Talks? Advice?" I offer, taking several steps to the window, allowing me to look at the view once more. "I have noticed how professional this place is, and I honestly don't think I can make it in this business without someone to talk to, or-"
"To live it with." She joins me, looking out the glass too.
"Yes." I allow a laugh, nodding my head. "With my family and friends hours away, its going to be hard to talk about everything that happens here over the phone...."
"This must be very hard for you."
"Have you ever left home?" My throat only permits me a whisper.
"No, I haven't. But I have watched others leave my home."
"Well," I sigh, "It sucks." We both end up laughing.
~~~
"So, that's my family."
"Wow." Ella stirs her liquid ice cream.
"What about you?" We decided to get out and eat some lunch; we just happen to be getting to know each other along the way.
"Well," She sits back against her chair. "I grew up with my mom working three jobs, and my sister always in and out of a holding cell. My father left when I was born, leaving me to pick up the broken pieces. My sister, Hanna, is a three years younger than me. She's actually doing community service today; paying off her duty from stealing a bracelet." Her face softens, "I have a fiancé." I naturally sit up, suddenly very interested.
"Wait what?" She just nods her head, her smile never ceasing. "How did you meet this fiancé?" I playfully tease.
"That's actually a really funny story...." She clears her throat, "I met him in a holding cell...." My eyes widen, and I start laughing.
"Are you serious? I thought your sister was the troublemaker!"
"She is, I just kind of, punched someone, when they accused her of some things." She fades out, her laugher butting in. "He was in there for interfering with investigators work." My eyes go crooked, showing her I didn't understand. "He's the type who can't stay in one place for a long period of time, and his work is his life, except me. His boss made him take some time off, but he kind of went behind his back and interfered."
"So he's a bad, obsessive, cop?" We both laugh, and she takes a sip of her coffee.
"You can say that." She struggles, her laughter overtaking the words. "What about your man?"
"Caleb?" I look up at her and I feel my cheeks flush. "Well, he's a mechanic and factory worker. Its actually him who talked me into coming over here. I would've never chosen this over my brother, but I have amazing friends that are so supportive in my choices." I look over at a young couple a few tables away, remembering when that used to be us. "We've been through it all, we've shared so much, yet I still get to know more and more of him everyday."
"Wow. It must be hard to say I love you over a screen...." She murmurs.
"Especially when you know they'd love to see you too, but are too selfless to put it out there till its too late." She places her hand over mine;
"You can always talk to me." I send her a smile, accepting the gesture.
"I can see a friendship here," I lean in, closer so she can hear me whisper. "And more than just coffee runs." She laughs and we colide our plastic coffee cups as if a toast was made.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading!

Hope you laughed=)

- Emuna_Jasmine