Chapter 20

I looked up through a tunnel of light and blinked up at blue eyes as a fist dug into my chest. I shuddered out a breath and another followed.

"Callum," hollered Brian. "How much longer?"

"Their bringing the stretcher up," he hollered back his form now hovering over me too. Another shudder shook my body as a hand pressed on my abdomen. "Stop moving Mercy." he whispered as he pressed down harder. I croaked out an apology and spasmed as a water filled cough made its way to my throat. I lost myself to darkness as Callum begged me to say with him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I came to surrounded by florescent lights, an erratic beeping, and an engine whirring. Cold soft fingers rested on my neck and an unfamiliar face hovered over me.

"You're gonna make it kid. I promise," he whispered softly and jotted something down. I really hoped he was wrong. I didn't wanna make it. Not anymore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The days passed by in a blur. I was here but i wasn't. It felt as if all the life had just fled me.

They had stitched me up cautiously, trying to prevent as much scarring as they could. It was after I could talk again that I had numbly told them that they had wasted their time.

Dom and Ace both hadn't come to visit me. I couldn't really put a finger on why I cared. I sure as hell didn't deserve to and Mia was a constant reminder of that. She had been babying me since the day I had gained consciousness. Always fussing over one thing or another. I had tried every trick in the book to get rid of her, but she saw through them all.

I didn't talk to anyone but Mia. Brian and Callum had given up on trying to talk to me a while ago. Brian still visited, he just never expected anything from me.

Mia was filling out some important paper and had taken up on the responsibility of taking me home when she was done. I felt guilty seeing her do all this shit for me while she was pregnant.I was such an asshole.The nurse had helped me change in to some clothes Mia had bought with her. I was swaying by the door by the time Mia had filled out the papers, refusing to acknowledge the wheelchair that had been placed by my side. It was awfully comforting to know that pride still had a mind of it own.

"lets go, " I mumbled looking at the floor. My step faltered as we finally reached the bottom of the elevator. Standing at the end of the hallway was Dom. His arms blocking the elevator, stopping it from shutting. His eyes briefly met mine as me and Mia slowly got closer. He gave an awkward nod of acknowledgement to Mia and made a move to hug.

My body flinched from his movement, and a light blush covered my cheek. Hurt flashed across his eyes before they went back tot heir normal, nonchalant brown. I shuffled into the elevator and leaned heavily against one of the walls. A light sigh escaped my lips as the strain on my body eased. My eyes followed the cracks on the elevator floor as Dom cracked his knuckles and Mia hummed lightly to the elevator music.

Trip to the car was the same.

The trip home was anything but. Letty sat in the driver seat of his challenger muttering lightly under her breath as both Mia and I lid into the back of the seat. I gasping for air once I had finally settled down i n my seat. Dom's hand hovered lightly over my thighs, he quickly moved it upon hearing Letty's disgruntled sigh. The atmosphere in the ca had quickly gone from awkward to tense and my eyes suddenly burned. I let out a shaky breath as the car took off, my looking out of the dirt covered window.

"Are we going to Brians?"I asked softly as we pulled out of the hospitals lot.

Mia tensed next to me as Letty sped up.

"Brian has decided he wants you to stay at our place until we have shit figured out, "Dom replied. I leaned my head against the window upon hearing this. The rest of the drive was quiet. no one talked as Letty veered around traffic.

No one was home once we reached Dom's house. Mia had quietly helped me into bed and I had fallen into a light sleep. Everything had changed in the little time I had been gone. And I really didn't know what to do. Thoughts of all the dangers surrounding Doms family clouded my mind as sleep finally claimed me as it's own. And it wasn't long before I was drowning in a black abyss of my own making.