Twelve → Understanding

jonathan

After a week going by with us getting closer, things were more bearable at school. As the days passed by, the dance got closer and I knew she'd want an answer soon; an answer I didn't have yet.

"Johnny?" I heard a voice call behind me as I was leaving the building since school was over. Turning around, I saw Desi standing there and tried to hide my smile.

"Desi." She had a big smile on her face and wrapped her arms around me. It took me a few seconds but I did the same to her.

"I was wondering if you'd like to go somewhere today." I contemplated the idea. My grandmother would be busy at church today, so maybe I could get home late without her noticing.

Desi's eyes watched me as she waited for a yes or no from me. I nodded and a grin appeared on her face. She's been asking me to various place within the last week and this is the first time I said yes, so her excitement was understandable.

'Let's hope this is actually good.'

"Let's go then." She told me as we walked out the doors. On the way out, she was animatedly talking about something and I nodded - taking in her words.

It only surprised me a bit when I felt her hand reach towards mine. She was quiet for a bit as she waited for my response but continued talking when I hesitantly laced my fingers through hers.

"Desi-" My response was cut short when we walked through the doors and stood in front of her group of 'friends'. It seemed as if Desi was unfazed by this, or tried to seem that way, as she looked right at them.

My hand quickly escaped from hers as I stood in front of the people that were dedicated to making my life hell. Shock registered through them first but it didn't take long until the laughter arose.

"You have got to be kidding me." Sherry laughed, leaning into Bo's chest as he wrapped an around her and joined in on the laughter.

"Are you serious, Desi?" Bo laughed, looking over at us. "All the guys that would love to be with you but you pick Ichabod?"

I looked down and gulped. The scene in front of me was one that I had never expected to deal with. Through the corner of my eye, I saw Desi look over at me and frown.

"Do something!"

"Weird, huh?" I heard Daniel's voice remark. I looked up and glanced over at Desi, a look of anger on her face. "You chose that damn freak over me."

"Daniel." Sherry warned, obviously noticing the hostility in his voice. Desi stared up at Daniel, waiting for his next move.

"Let them be, babe." Bo told Sherry. "If someone took my girlfriend away from me, I'd be pissed too."

"Cat got your tongue, Desi?" Daniel questioned Desi, who rolled her eyes at his question.

"Can you leave me the fuck alone already?" Her question caught them all off guard. My guess is that they probably haven't seen her angry. "You're not my boyfriend."

A few of her friends snickered at the comment. Daniel was probably bragging about Desi only to have it all fall apart on him now. The thought made me smirk but I quickly shook it away, not wanting to make matters worse.

"And that thing is?" He nodded over to where I was which caused everyone to turn their eyes towards me, including Desi.

"Yes." I softly said. Looking over, I saw a smile appear on Desi but it quickly faded. When I felt him pick me up by my collar I understood why her smile faded.

"Daniel, stop." She urged when she his fist aiming towards my nose, just like that day. He just looked at her before making contact with my face.

I shut my eyes, as if that would lessen the blow and waited for the pain to go away. When I opened them, they were gone - except for Desi, who stood there.

Her face was blank as she watched them walk away. "I'm sorry." When she heard my words, she looked over at me and rushed over.

I could already feel the blood trickling down and sliding down my lips. "I'm sorry, Desi." I repeated. She nodded and reached for my hand, placing it on my nose.

"Come on." was all she said before leading me towards my car. "I think I have some napkins in here."