Chapter 7

-Kit's POV

It has been almost two weeks since Ashton's party, when I woke up in Luke's bed. He hasn't talked to me since. We sit in class together in awkward silence, whenever I try to make conversation he just shrugs me off. He didn't give me full detail as to what I did to him that night. All he told he is that I tried to hook up with him. The thought of that is humiliating. I can't get over how stupid I am. Not knowing what I did makes everything all the worse. I could have been naked in front of him for all I know.
I've been trying to shake that thought, but I can't. It's all that's been going through my mind for the past couple of weeks. It's either something I did to cause him to not want to be my acquaintance anymore, or something happened to completely shut him down again. I almost hope it was the first one, because I don't know how much more pain that boy can take, but I doubt it. I get the feeling that when Luke decides to get himself involved with you, it'll take more than trying to hook up with him while drunk to steer him away. But then again, I really don't know. I barely know the kid.
I smile as I walk up to Ashton, Calum and Michael in the cafeteria, taking my usual spot beside Ash. They all greet me at the same time, saying hello, asking how my day is going and a few other things I couldn't make out because it's all being said at the same time. I just give them a small smile as I pull out my sandwich from my book bag. I start picking at that, but I'm really not hungry. "What's wrong?" Ashton finally asks, after taking a long drink out of his juice box.
I shake my head and put the other half of my sandwich down, not being able to stomach anymore. "It's nothing." I say.
"It's obviously not nothing." Ash says. "You've been dull for awhile now. You know that you can trust us, right?" He asks.
"Of course I do." I say. "If I wanted to tell anyone, you guys would be the first ones I'd tell. You guys are my friends. My only friends."
"What about Hemmings?" Michael asks, giving me a look.
"What about him?" I ask, trying not to let the fact that my stomach dropped at the sound of his name show.
"You two seem awful friendly, is all." He says and pulls a cookie out of his bag. "For being warned about him and all."
"We're not friendly." I say. Which isn't really a lie. I don't know where Luke and I stand, but I really wouldn't say we're friends. "I've talked to the kid like three times. I'm nice to everyone." I say with a smile.
"But he doesn't seem to be being too mean to you." Calum says.
"He's not a ray of sunshine, that's for sure." I joke. "But do we have to talk about him?" I ask. "I have to sit next to him in about fifteen minutes, my life doesn't revolve around Hemmings."
"No, you're right." Calum says. "I'm sorry."
I sigh. "Do you ever miss him?" I let slip out. They all look at me. "I know I said I was done talking about him like five seconds ago, but I need to know."
"Well, yeah." Ashton says. "Of course we miss him. He used to be a great person. But, now he's just all around shitty. Of course it hurts a little from time to time to know that we couldn't be his friends when he probably needed us most. But he wouldn't let us help him. We tried, he kicked us out. But of course we miss him. We loved that kid."
"Do you still love him?" I ask
Just as Ashton opens his mouth to talk, Michael cuts him off. "No." He says. "We love the person he used to be. We always will. He was one of us. He was our best friend. We love that Luke. But, that Luke is gone now. The new Luke is a terrible person. We hate him."
"That's a little harsh, man." Calum says. "I think what he meant to say is that we love him, we just don't love what he turned into. Does that make sense?" He asks.
"I guess." I say as the bell goes off. "I'll see you guys later." I say as I trail off to English class. I walk in and Luke isn't there yet. That is nothing new. I go and take my seat as all the other kids soon start piling in. I hear a bunch of conversations going on at once as the final bell for class goes off. Luke still isn't here. Now that I think of it, I didn't see him at lunch either. But, he was here. He was sitting in third period with his headphones in as the teacher taught the lesson. He must have ditched. Which doesn't really add up. Luke does a lot to piss the teachers off, but missing class isn't one of those things. He's always here. Sometimes I think that Luke only shows up to piss the teachers off.
I try not to think too much about him as the teacher walks up to the board and shows us a video that we need to take notes on. I do take the notes. But, they're sloppy and half assed, which is far from my usual work. The video seemed to be never ending. And it's on a topic that I couldn't care less about. As much as I try to shake it off, the only thing I can think about is Luke and I can't help but wonder why he's not in school right now.
-Luke's POV

As the bell for lunch goes off, I race out of school. I can't do this today. I need out of here. I try to put up with school as much as possible, since this is my last year and all. But, I can't focus. I haven't been able to do anything normally since my conversation with my dad. Technically I'm grounded, but I'm always grounded. I do everything I always do when I'm grounded. That's not what's bothering me about everything. I wish it was that easy. I really wish my only worry in this world was the fact that I'm grounded.
But no. That's not what has me fucked up. It's what he said about mom. Not the fact that he misses her as much as I do. I didn't ever doubt that. He said something that I hadn't really thought of before he said it. Now, it's all that crosses my mind. He said that we should go visit her at the cemetery because she's probably lonely there all by herself. I have never thought of it like that. The way he worded it. I haven't been to the grave yard to visit her once since the funeral. I didn't go to visit her once. If she does actually miss us, she must miss me like crazy.
I've never really given the cemetery much though, to be honest. I have always just thought it was somewhere for religious people to go to summon their loved ones spirits or whatever. I've never thought that the presence of the person may actually be lingering around, waiting for their families to come visit them.
I know how stupid I sound. I really do. I sound like a fucking idiot. I know that there is nothing really there. She's not at the grave yard. But I feel like it's something I need to get out of my system. I need to go there and see for myself that it really is a load of horse shit and that I'm no closer to my mom there as I am when I'm in the house that she used to run.
So, I figured that today instead of my afternoon classes I would go visit my mom. I don't know if this is a good idea or not. But, what I do know is that the cemetery is only two blocks away from my school. And I remember exactly where she is. So, I decide to walk myself down there to go visit for the first time in forever. I feel like maybe I should have brought her something, like a flower. She liked flowers. If I end up seeing the point in this, I'll bring something nice for her next time.
My heart starts pounding as I see the sigh and gates for the cemetery. I'm not too far away now. I don't know why I'm nervous. I have nothing to be nervous about. From what I heard that on any given day, there is never too many people there. I've overheard many of my dads conversations to grandma on the phone about how he is usually the only one in the whole damn place. I can't decide if I find comfort in that or not.
"Okay." I say to myself as I walk up to the gates, my legs are shaking and my heart is still pounding. I look around in there, not a soul in there. Just as I was about to walk in, I turn around the other way and start walking back to school. I didn't even get a chance to think about it before I was out of there so fast. If I leave now, I can still make first class. I'll just say that my dad came and took me to an appointment or something for a half an hour.
I can go and take my seat next to Kit. She is always nice to me. She helps take my mind off of everything without even knowing it. I hope she isn't mad at me. I haven't really talked to her since the party. But, I've been overly distracted.
I don't know why I care so much about how she feels. But, I do. I care about her. I tell her other wise to protect her from me, but I do care about her. I don't know what it is. She just does something to me. Pulling her off of me at that party was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I couldn't do that to her.
I run back to school, and down to my English class. I tell the teacher about my appointment, he believes me. I go and take my seat next to Kit. I see that her face goes red. "You know," I say in a whisper to her. "I'm no expert, but I think I could make a more entertaining video then whoever the fuck is making this one."
She looks over at me, almost in relief. "I know you could." She says. "Where were you?" She asks me.
"My dad came and took me-"
"No." she cuts me off with. "Where were you actually? I know you wouldn't just ditch school for a doctors appointment. Especially one with your dad."
"I went for a walk." I tell her. Which technically isn't a lie.
"You should have told me you were going." She says. "I would have went with you, so I can get on your nerves and what not."
"Maybe next time." I say with a smirk as the bell for next class goes off. She walks along beside me, making small talk with me as we make our way to our next class, where she chooses to sit beside me.
~
-Kit's POV

I can't really explain how I felt when Luke sat down next to me in English. Though he looked upset, he came and made conversation with me. Automatically taking my worry about fucking things up with him. But, I wonder where he went on that little walk of his. I know that it is none of my business, but I really want to know. I wonder a lot about this boy.
"So," He says as we sit down next to each other in our next class. "I've been thinking." He informs me.
"I thought I felt something burning." I joke.
He gives me a smirk. "I'm serious."
"Hi, serious. I'm Kit." I say, mentally hitting myself in the head at that terrible joke that always pisses me off.
"Please don't go all dad on me." He says.
"Sorry. It sounded funnier in my head." I admit with a small giggle.
He nods. "What if we were the opposite of not friends?" He asks. "Like, more than our already not, not friends."
"You want to be my friend?" I ask, in shock a little.
"When you put it that way, I sound lame." He says and looks down at the table. "But I guess so. What do you think?"
"This was really hard for you to come out and ask, wasn't it?" I ask. He just shrugs. "I'd love to be the opisite of not friends with you, Luke." I say as I get this warm feeling spread throughout my body. I really care about him, and maybe if we're friends, he will let me into his world, and maybe I will be able to do something to make him feel a little better. I'd love to maybe try to get him back to the Luke that Mikey, Cal and Ash loved. Because apparently this Luke is shitty. But, to me, he doesn't seem shitty at all. He seems like a person who is afraid of being hurt even more, so he shuts everyone out. I don't believe that he's all bad for one second.