Chapter 15

-LUKE'S POV-

I sigh as I read the note on the front door of our school. "All seniors report to gym class rather than home room." That sounds like a whole lot of not fun. But I get over myself and make my way to the main floor of the third building of the school. I start hearing various conversations as soon as I step foot on this floor. This lets me know that it's packed in there. Something I can't stand. It get's hard to breathe when too many people are surrounding me. I take a deep breath before opening the door despite my head telling me to just ditch it. As soon as I walk in, everything hits me. I see more people than expected, yet not one person that I know.
I just sigh and look down as I start pushing my way through the mass amounts of people. A couple people start to tell me off for bumping into them, but I just keep on walking, hoping to find a place that isn't packed. But, there is nothing. Everywhere I go, there is at least twenty people standing in my way. I just decide to start looking for someone I know, to take my mind off of feeling like the room is closing in on me. Frantically, I start looking around, and thank god, I have a little bit of luck.
I see Michael standing there. His colorful hair actually came in handy. He stood right out in the crowd. I run over to him, making sure I don't loose sight of him. I think I stepped on about ten peoples feet in the process, but I finally make my way over to where he is standing. But of course, not without me being me and tripping over my two feet. He grabs my arm before I hit the floor, pulling me back up. He's laughing at me. "Way to go, Luke!" He says, still laughing at me. It seems he starts laughing harder by the second.
"Uh sorry." I say as he lets go of me. "I just.. Um." I stutter. "The room.. There's so many.. It's packed." I manage to get out in a fast paste.
He suddenly stops laughing. "Woah, are you okay, man?" He asks, reaching his arm out again, but this time putting it on my shoulder. "Your face is redder than elmo."
"Yeah.. There's just too many people." I say, in a calmer voice.
"Tell me about it." He says. "I can't find anyone. Just try to relax, yeah? We wont be here for too long."
"Yeah." I sigh as he and I make our way to a part of the gym that isn't extremely crowded. It's still crowded, but it's the most empty part of the place. I continue looking around, to try and spot Kit. But, I can't find her anywhere. "Do you know what all of this is about?" I ask.
"No clue." He says. "All I know is that I would have preferred it not to happen." He tells me. "What are you doing for Christmas this year?" He asks, trying to change the conversation. Probably trying to take my mind off of the millions of people around me.
"Probably same as last year." I tell him.
"What happened last year?" He asks, knitting his eyebrows together.
"Nothing." I tell him with a half smile. The holidays were buried with my mom, it seems. "We woke up at our usual times, we had meals in silence and ignored each other, just like every other day."
"Thats festive." He says, with a small frown. "No presents?"
"No." I say and laugh. "I mean, I took enough money out of his wallet for two packs of smokes that day, so merry Christmas to me." I laugh, trying to lighten the mood. I didn't make that up, it totally did happen, but it's something to lighten the spirits I dulled out.
"That is the saddest thing that I have ever heard." He says with a small laugh. "I'm so sorry."
I just shrug. "What about you?" I ask. "What are you doing for Christmas?"
"Family is coming over for dinner." He says. "Not like I'll see any of them, though. I'll me up in my room playing fifa." He laughs.
I laugh. "Do you still suck ass at fifa?" I ask.
"I'm way better than you ever were, if memory serves." He says.
"I really don't think it does. I used to humiliate you from beating you so bad, Clifford." I say and laugh.
"As if." He says. "You'll have to come over for a rematch sometime to remind yourself what alcohol, smoking and too much sex made you forget." He says sarcastically.
I laugh. "Too much sex?" I ask. "Is that even a thing?" I say sarcastically. "Not that you'd know.. It was a rhetorical question." I tease.
"Ouch!" He says and laughs.
I was just about to respond, but the principal walked onto the stage and tapped the microphone. "Testing.. one, two, three testing?" She asks as her voice fills the whole gym. She has the volume up too loud, so it's a little hard to make out what she's saying, but she carries on anyways. "I've gathered you all here this morning to let you all know that our annual Christmas talent show is today!" She says excitedly. "I was disappointed when I saw how little seniors signed up, but it's always that way." She sighs. "I have you here because I want to warn you guys to be nice. There has been issues with the seniors making rude comments about the younger performers, and this is one of the less nice groups we've had in awhile. I just want you to know that you're not to make fun of them." She says sternly. "Imagine how nervous they are before making fun of how they sound, alright?" She asks. "Alright, you guys are free to go to class, though I wouldn't bother, just go straight to the theater. The show is going to be all morning."
"Fuck my life." I say under my breath as Michael starts laughing.
"Wait here, Calum, Kit and Ashton are together and want to meet us so we can all sit together." He says.
"Okay." I say as people start leaving. Every time another person leaves, it feels like another brick off of my chest. Before too long, everyone is gone, and it was just five students in the gym. All of us. We make our way over to each other.
"Was anyone else looking for a paper bag to breathe into?" Kit asks. "I never realized that there were so many seniors here."
"I never realized the seniors were so mean." Ashton says. "Why would they make fun of the other kids for singing or whatever?"
"Have you heard them?" I ask. "Remember last years? I spent all morning chewing on my tongue so I wouldn't laugh."
"I was laughing." Michael says. "I couldn't help it. They were so bad!"
"I was laughing too." Calum says, and giggles. "And you were too, Ash. Don't even pretend you're innocent here."
"Well yeah, I was laughing, but I wasn't yelling out that they suck." He says, defending himself.
"We should probably start walking there before all the seats are taken." Kit says. We all nod agreeing with her as we make our way to the theater. But, of course, our luck, almost all of the seats were taken. We were split up. But, I got a seat next to Kit, so I really don't mind. We have the two seats on the end at the row closest to the door.
"Welcome to our annual Christmas concert! The principal says happily, seemingly out of nowhere. "I'm not going to waste all of your time with a long speech, so without further a due, opening the show, one of the only seniors preforming tonight, Lucas Hanger." She announces as the kid that I punched in the face walks on stage. I have to admit, finding out his name was a bummer, but now that I do know, it's easier to hate him. Of course he goes by Lucas.
He walks over to the piano, I didn't know he played. He sits down and starts pressing keys, as it soon becomes clear to me that he doesn't play. My jaw drops open as he starts singing. "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire.." His voice cracks at least three times in that opening sentence. He is also using a very unnecessary high note that he doesn't have the vocal range to sing.
"I'd rather have my real nuts roasted on an open fire than listen to this." I whisper over to Kit, who lets a laugh slip out.
"How easy would it be to sneak out of this thing?" She asks me.
I look over at the doors to see that they are open with no teachers around at all. "If we're quick, no problem." I say.
"Let's go!" She says before we both get up and walk out of the theater. We just start walking through the bare halls. "Why didn't you ever tell me that your friend was so talented?" She asks.
"Didn't want to make you jealous." I reply with as we make our way to the second building. "You know, it'd be hard knowing how much more talented my friend is than yours." I explain as we walk down a flight of stairs.
"Did you know he thought he could sing?" She asks, as we make our way down to the most quiet place in the school. The music room.
"I didn't even know his name until like three days ago." I tell her. "I had no fucking clue that he was also a musical genious."
"Why don't you play something?" She asks.
"That's a big, fat no." I say and laugh as I pull out two chairs, I sit in one and she sits in the other.
"Why not?" She asks. "You're kind of incredible."
"Kit Kat, I've explained this to you." I say. "I don't sing in front of people. I barely sing in front of myself."
"But why?" She asks.
"Because that's the kind of shit to get you a punch in the face around here. The only time that shit is okay is times like today. It's a free pass."
"Who gives a fuck about what people say?" She asks. "It's just me here. Plus, you just said it, today is a free pass."
"I don't want to, Kit Kat." I say as the thought of singing in front of her makes my heartrate pick up.
"But, I've already heard you sing!" She says. "I know you're good. It'll be nothing new."
"I didn't know that you were listening when you heard." I tell her. "I can't sing in front of people."
"Please try?" She asks. "For me." She sticks her bottom lip out, jokingly.
I sigh. "Only this once." I say as my heart starts beating all the faster. "Don't make a habit out of asking me, I mean it, okay?"
"I- I captain!" She says, earning a small laugh from me. I look at he smiling as I go pick up a guitar. Her bright smile almost makes me forget about how nervous I am to actually play in front of someone. I shake my head as I try to take my focus off of her, but it's hard to do with the song that I'm about to play for her.
I start strumming on the guitar as I get lost in the melody of the song as I always do. It's so easy to get lost into something so wonderful.

"And I'd give up forever to touch you,
'Cause I know that you feel me somehow,
You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be,
And I don't wanna go home right now,
And all I can taste is this moment,
And all I can breathe is your life,
When sooner or later it's over,
I just don't wanna miss you tonight,
And I don't want the world to see me,
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand,
When everything's made to be broken,
I just want you to know who I am."

I put the guitar down before I get too into the song. I smile over at her, she is just sitting there with a blank face, which makes me nervous all over again. "You know," I say as I stand up and put the guitar back. "This song is a little tricky to sing, and that guitar had shitty strings. The scho in this room really but a downer on my voice.. I just don't think-"
"Hemmings, would you shut up long enough for me to think of a complement that is worthy of being said after that?" She asks.
"Right.." I say and look down at my shoes."Sorry." I say and go sit in the chair that I was sitting in, right across from her. She stands up, so I bounce right back up too.
"I don't even know how to tell you how good that was, Hemmings." She says. "You're amazing. But I don't feel like that word is good enough. Hemmings, where did you learn to sing like that?"
I shrug as I look away from her, I feel myself starting to blush. "I just pick a song and I give it meaning." I tell her.
"What was the meaning for that one?" She asks.
"You." I say before thinking.
"What?" She asks, in awe. I finally grow the courage to look at her, her face is red. "Iris makes you think of me?" She asks, I just nod, shyly. "W-why?" She asks.
I didn't notice how nervous I was until now, holy shit. I swear you can hear my heart pounding. "Because, Kit Kat." I say and clear my throat. "When everything is made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am." I say in a small voice as she starts getting closer to me. When she is finally standing in front of me, she looks up at me with a smile. I look down at her, returning it before wrapping my arms around her. She hugs me back right away. She partially pulls away. She's still in my arms, but she's looking up at me, ber beautiful face turning more and more red by the second. I was about to comment, but I can feel that my face is just as red. She glances down at my lips as she starts chewing on her bottom lip. Fuck it. I lean down and grab her face, pulling it into mine. Our lips finally meeting. Hers tasted like cherries. I wrap my arms around her as the kiss continues, our lips moving in sync. I run my hands up her back, and make my way to her hair before running my fingers through it before pulling away with a smile. "I'm sorry." I say.
"Don't be." She says with a smile. "That was incredible."
"I agree." I say smugly before pulling her into another hug. I go over and sit in a chair with her cuddled up next to me, her head is rested on my chest.

Kit and I ended up skipping class all day down in the music room. Nobody was there all day. We didn't do too much. We just talked. I didn't sing again, we didn't kiss again, it just went back to a normal conversation. I love that it wasn't awkward. A lot of the time for me, after we kiss, it gets awkward and the girl runs off, but not Kit. She is amazing.
As the last bell of the day goes off, Kit and I say our goodbyes and go our seperate ways. I make my way through the school without a worry in my mind. I didn't even notice all of the people bumping into me and yelling at me. I just walked out of the school and started walking to my house. Not even noticing how long of a walk it is, like usual. I just keep walking. Soon enough I'm at my house. I groan a little when I see that my dad's car is there. But so is Karen's. I guess it would be. She finished moving in this morning. I walk into my house and set my bookbag down.
"How was school?" Karen asks as soon as she sees me. She walks over and greats me at the door with a hug. She does that everytime I come home now. I wrap an arm around her as well.
"It was alright." I say. "It was long. There was a Christmas talent show." I say. "Nobody had talent."
"That's not very nice to say, Luke." She says with a smile.
I pull out my phone to show her the video Michael sent us all of Lucas singing. "No, get a load of this." I say as I press play. Her face drops as she hears his singing. We end up watching the whole thing, laughing and intimidating his voice. Her impression was pretty spot on if I do say so myself.
"Now stop it." My dad says sternly as he walks out of the kitchen. "At least he had the guts to go up and preform, unlike you!" He says.
"Yeah, because I wouldn't sign up for something that would make me look like that in front of the whole school." I say and laugh at the image of his Christmas sweater in my head. Everything about his performance was golden.
"You seem to be in a bad mood, love." Karen says to my dad. "What's wrong?" She asks with a small frown.
"I went to go visit Liz today." He says with a sigh. "Last time I was there, I left her a few flowers, there was this one that I specifically liked, and some dick went and stole it. It's not there anymore."
My eyes widen as I look down, I can't help but laugh. That was the flower that I ripped out because it was ugly and ruining her whole spot.
"I suppose you find that funny?" Dad asks me. "Of course you would. Someone stole from your dead mother and you're over there laughing like an idiot!" He says, getting louder and louder.
"Jesus Christ." I say. "I thought of the kid singing again." I lie. I can't tell him that I was there and ripped out his favorite flower. "You know how I get when something strikes me funny, I'll laugh on and off for hours."
"You're so inconsiderate, Luke!" My dad yells. "You stand there and lie to my face about it!"
"I don't think it's funny that someone supposedly stole from my mom! Maybe you shouldn't have gotten her such a nice flower if you didn't want it to get stolen!" I yell back, trying not to laugh at the mental image of the flower. Which is getting easier and easier because he's starting to piss me off.
"Andy, stop picking on Luke!" Karen says. "Not everyone can keep a straight face in a situation they find uncomfortable. It's nothing he can help."
"His dead mother getting stolen from shouldn't be an uncomfortable topic! He should be just as pissed as I am!"
"Yeah, because everything beginning with 'your dead mother' is a comfortable topic." I say sarcastically.
"I've had enough of you today, Luke. Go to your room!" My dad orders.
"Oh no, what will I ever do up there?" I ask, dully as I make my way to the stairs. "Where I can be alone and peaceful instead of down here, getting bitched at by you?!" I yell as I make my way upstairs.
Normally that would ruin my day, but today I'm finding it hard to put a damper on my mood. I finally got to kiss Kit. It finally happened. I can't believe the moment that I've wanted for the longest time now actually happened. It's not really even just the kiss, it's her as a whole. She helps me momentarily forget about the shit show that I have going on. When I'm with her, I feel okay again, which is more than I can say about anyone else right now. I don't know what has come over me, but I think I may be catching feelings for my precious Kit Kat.