Chapter 14

-LUKE'S POV-

Kit and I spent the rest of the afternoon in the music room. She did most of the talking though. She knew exactly what to say. She always does. She kept on telling me of how proud she is of me for swallowing my pride. I didn't really do that at all. I just couldn't hold it in any longer. I was on the verge of tears the whole time I was down here, even before she came down to talk to me. Given, her being there made it all the harder to hold back. But, it was probably going to happen either way. I'm just sorry that she had to witness that. I probably looked like an idiot, just standing there crying. I hate crying so much, it reminds me of weakness. Something that I haven't considered myself. I still don't consider myself to be weak though. I'd be lying if I said it felt bad to let out, though.
She held on to me for so long today. She wouldn't let me go. That felt nice. The physical contact. The kind of physical contact that isn't just about sex. She was touching me because she cared about me, because she cared about how I was feeling, because she didn't care that I was getting snot on her shirt. And to be honest, I never wanted her to let go.
But, eventually she had to. The final bell of the day rang. That is when she finally let me go. She stood up and gave me a small smile, I gave her one back. Then she gave me another hug, rubbing my back a little. "Are you going to be okay?" She asks.
"Of course I am. I'm Luke Hemmings. Luke Hemmings always pulls through." I joke, the most joyful thing said this afternoon.
"That's the spirit." She says with a small chuckle. "If you need me, just call me okay? Please don't hesitate."
"Same goes for you, Kit Kat." I tell her. "I don't really know what you'd need me for, but if you do, well.. You have my number." I say awkwardly.
"See you later, Hemmings." She says.
"Later, Kit Kat." I say before we walk out of the music room, making our separate ways through the crowded halls. Numerous people bump into me, then yell at me for being in their way. But, that's nothing new. That's always happened from the very second that I stepped foot into this school for the first time. That doesn't effect me anymore.
I walk out of the school to see Ashton, standing alone at by the front door of the school. I don't know why, but I automatically feel bad for him. He's never alone around this place. He likes to talk someones ear off so much, that being alone drives him crazy. I sigh, I don't really want to, but I walk up to him with a half smile. "Hey." I say.
He looks over at me in shock. He smiles back, not a casual one like mine was, a full on famous Ashton smile, showing off his dimples. "Luke!" He says excitedly. "What are you doing here."
"I saw you standing alone, so I figured that I'd come say hey." I explain. "What are you up to? Where's the other two?"
"I'm waiting for my mom to pick me up." He says, explaining why he's alone. "She wants to take me christmas shopping for Lauren and Harry. I know what they like better than she does."
"Oh shit, yeah." I say. "Christmas is coming up soon, isn't it?" I ask.
"Well, this is the last week before Christmas break." He says.
"Wow." I say. "I guess I've forgotten."
"Bah hum bug." He says and giggles.
"Yeah that's me. Dr. Luke Scrooge." I say and laugh a little as his mom pulls up to the school. "See you later, Ash." I say with a smile as I wave to him.
"It was nice talking to you." He says with a smile before getting into his moms car as she drives off.
I start walking toward my house as I shake my head and turn around, walking past the school. I can't go home. Not yet. I start walking down the street as I get to the cemetery. I need to do this. I need to get over myself and go in there alone, where I won't be embarrassed to talk. I need to go there when there is nobody to take my pain out on. Walking around the cemetery takes a lot longer than driving around the cemetery, so getting to my mom's grave takes longer than expected. But, I do eventually get there.
"Hey, mom." I say nervously as I walk up to her stone and kneel down. "Sorry about the other day." I start with before thinking. "You know, next time I come here, the visit will be planned, and I will bring you something. It looks so bare here with just these shitty flowers." I say and realize that I'm beating around the bush for nothing.
"I don't even know if I see the point in this place, mom." I say. "I mean, if you can hear me, don't get me wrong, I miss talking to you, but what I miss more is you responding to me. You can't do that here. It's just not the same." I say and take a deep breath. "Nothing is the same. Dad loves me, but he loves hating me even more." I say. "He has a new girlfriend, too." I tell her. "I think you'd actually like her. I do. She reminds me of you. Everything reminds me of you." I say and frown a little. "I miss you so much, mom."
"I know, I've done a lot of questionable things that you wouldn't be proud of, but I'm going to try to make you proud. I know you wouldn't be right now, and that's okay. I don't blame you." I tell her.
"Kit." I say with a smile at the sound of her name. "Kit Kat as I like to call her, she's really good. I know you'd like her. She's helping me out so much. I don't know what it is about her, but she is unlike every other girl I've talked to. She hasn't given up on me, even though I've given her plenty of chances to."
"I should really get going though." I say and stand up. "I don't know when I'll be back, mom. Maybe next week, maybe never. I know that if you can hear me, it's just as easy at home as it is here. I love you heaps." I say before getting up and wiping the tear that I didn't even notice fell off of my cheek.
I start walking to the gates, it's such a long walk. I can feel myself getting exhausted. I was already tired when I came here. When I finally reach the gates, I feel like my legs are about to give out on me. I sigh as I pick up my phone.
"Hello?" Karen answers with.
"Hey, it's me." I say.
"I know who you are." She says with a laugh. "What's up, are you coming home soon?" She asks. "Your dad called, he picked the night shift up tonight."
"That's why I'm calling. I was wondering if you could come pick me up?" I ask. "I'd walk, but I'd probably die about half way there."
"No problem at all, kiddo." She says. "At the school?"
"No." I say and sigh. "Cemetery."
"Just give me five minutes, I'll be right there." She says.
"Thank you." I say before hanging up.
I take a seat on beside the gates as I wait for her. I can't help but feel a little happy that dad isn't going to be home tonight. When I called her cell, I was half scared that he was going to be in the background asking what the hell I'm calling for. I know what I really need to do is talk to him, let him know that Kit and I are trying to bring me back, and that in order for me to be able to do that, he needs to fuck off and leave me alone every now and then, but I'm not ready to have that conversation yet.
Before too long, Karen shows up with a smile. I just get in the passengers seat before she drives off. "How was school?" She asks.
"Good." I say, not giving too many details out.
"Did you patch things up with your friend?" She asks.
"Yeah," I say. "At first, I didn't think I'd be able to, but she forgave me."
"What did it take?" She asks.
"I punched a kid in the face." I say, casually.
Her face drops. "You what now?" She asks. "Care to explain why?"
"He was being a dick." I say. "He was saying that my mom would hate how I'm turning out, and asked me if I wanted to make her proud. I lost it. Then he continued to tell me that I'm just a nobody. It was fun." I say to lighten the mood of what I said. But, what he said, keeps on running through my mind. His words hurt. Then I let my mind travel some more. 'don't you want to make your mom proud'? Runs through my head as I picture myself back in the cemetery. Talking to my mom, about how Karen reminds me of her, which she really does. Then I think about how I treated Karen at first, then I thought about what if I treated my mom like that, as 'she'd hate the way you turned out' rushes through my mind. I just shake my head as my feelings get more and more hurt, the more I think about it.
"Did you hit him hard?" She asks.
"Well- yeah." I say, surprised at her reaction.
"Good." She says. "If you're going to go out of your way to give somebody a punch, it may as well be a hard one." She smiles at me.
I just smile back, not really sure of what else to say. The rest of the car ride home was quiet. It was sort of an awkward silence, but it wasn't unbearable. I'm the first out of the car when we reach my house. I walk in, and leave the door open for Karen. Who isn't too far behind me. "What do you want for dinner?" She asks as she walks in. I just shrug. "What's wrong, love?" She asks me. I just shrug again. "You were fine on the way here, now you're gone again, what happened?"
I shake my head. "You know, it's just been a long day." I assure her.
She shakes her head. "I think there's more too it than that." She says, as she walks out into the kitchen. "Why don't you tell me what's going on, we're friends, right?" She asks.
I nod. It almost feels as if I'm losing control of my body. Because, I get up off the couch, and walk up to her. I look at her for a second, before wrapping my arms around her. It takes her a second to clue in to what's happening, but when she does, she wraps her arms around me, much similar to the way my mom used to hug me. "I'm sorry I was so mean to you." I say.
"Hey, don't worry about it." She says. "I've moved past it, you should too, okay?" She asks as she pulls away from the hug and wipes away the single tear that stained my face. "You don't have to cry, I promise." She says before sitting me down on the couch, she sits beside me. "How about I just order a pizza and we can talk some more, yeah?" She asks. I just nod.
~
-KIT'S POV-

I get up out of bed with a groan. I had to wake up early today, even though it's not a school day. The teachers have meetings today. But, that's not the point. The point is that I had to wake up before ten in the morning on a day that does not require school. I couple of my old friends are coming to visit me today. And by old, I mean old. I haven't seen these guys since middle school. They recently messaged me, asking if I'd be interested in a visit. Of course, I wasn't really up for it, but I literally had no excuse to say no. So, being the too nice of a person that I am, I told them of course they could come over.
From what I remember of them, they were really up each others asses. They're twin sisters. They're not identical, but damn near close. Their names are Olivia and Sophia. They do everything together. And from what I've gathered, that really hasn't changed. They're also home schooled, so they sort of have no choice but to depend on each other. "Oh shit!" I say quickly as I race downstairs. They're hear already. I open the door, and there they are standing there with ear to ear smiles. They look the exact same as they did in middle school.
"Kit!" Olivia says as she wraps her arms around me, it catches me off guard, but I hug her back.
"Jesus Christ, Liv." Sophia says. "You can't just tackle her like that."
"I'm sorry, but I'm so excited to see her!" Olivia says back, in an annoyed tone. "I don't get pissed at you when you hug people.
"Yeah, because it doesn't just happen like that." Sophia snaps back.
"Wow, I'm sorry I'm not perfect like you are." Olivia says.
"Oh my god," Sophia says. "I never said that I was perfect, I just said you don't have to be so affectionate."
"Um.." I say awkwardly. "I'm sorry I'm not dressed.. I uh.. Just woke up."
"Really?" Olivia asks. "We have been up since seven." She says.
"Yeah, I know. Sorry about that, but at least this way we can spend the whole day together, right?" I ask, as I internally sigh, knowing what kind of day this is going to be.
"What are you sorry for?" Sophia asks. "We're always up at seven."
"Why?" I ask. "Why would you do that to yourself?"
"Because we get hungry." Olivia replies. "And when we wake up, we can't go back to sleep."
"Oh." I say, dropping that conversation.
"What do you want to do?" Sophia asks. "This is boring."
"You guys just got here, don't you want to chill for a couple of minutes?" I ask, mainly because I'm not even fully awake yet.
"No, we hate staying inside." Sophia says.
"Okay, well, I'll go upstairs quickly to get dressed, then we'll figure something out."
"Can we get something to eat while you're getting dressed?" Olivia asks.
"Go right ahead." I say before racing upstairs. I close the door to my room before taking out my phone. I go to the farthest corner of my room and dial Luke's number. "Please answer." I beg.
"Hello?" He answers with.
"Did I wake you?" I ask.
"No, I've been awake since school time." He says and sighs. "I didn't know there wasn't any school today until my morning coffee kicked in."
"Talk about luck." I say and laugh. "I need you." I say.
"What for?" He asks.
"You're going to hate it." I warn him.
"Try me." He says.
"Fine." I say and sigh. "I can't be too loud, cause they're right downstairs, but my twin friends from middle school are visiting me today." I tell him. "They've been here for ten minutes and I already want them to go home. Please come over to my house." I beg.
"No." He says and laughs. "I'm still not ready for all the meet the parents shit." He says.
"I know." I say and sigh. "My parents are at work like they always are." I tell him. "If you wont meet my family, at least meet my annoying friends so I don't kill myself." I say.
"Fine." He sighs.
"Want me to pick you up?" I offer.
"Please." He says dully.
"Thank you so much." I say before hanging up the phone. I quickly get dressed and do my makeup, not bothering to attempt the wing today, before running downstairs to see the twins sitting on the couch eating cupcakes.
"You always do that, Soph." Olivia wines.
"Do what?!" Sophia snaps.
"You took the better one for yourself. God forbid you let me have the good one every once and awhile."
"Oh my god, Liv, they're pretty much the same." She says before taking some of her frosting off and putting it on Olivia's cupcake. "There, now stop complaining about everything."
"I'm going to pick up a friend, want to come with?" I offer, getting my car keys.
"Sure, what's her name?" Sophia asks.
"His name is Luke." I say.
"A boy?" Olivia asks. "Is he gay?"
"No." I say. "Why would you assume he's gay?"
"Well, we don't hang out with boys unless they like boys too. It's awkward." One of them say, I wasn't really paying attention to which.
"This boy is my best friend here." I say. "Don't worry about him. Plus, he knows around here better than I do. I haven't really explored yet, and he's lived here his whole life."
"Whatever." Sophia says. "I assume he gets the front seat, right?" She asks annoyed.
"No, it's just a seat, it doesn't really matter.." I say.
"No, it's fine." Olivia replies quickly. "Your best friend can sit up front with you. Why would one of us."
"Whatever." I sigh before going outside. They follow me, and get in the back seats of my car. I don't get why they're so pissed about that, the back seats of my car are just a big as the front seat, but it was enough to put them in sour moods. But, I think that it's better this way. I don't want to see them if they had to decide who gets shot gun. They'd probably make me pull over half way there so they can switch.
When we get to Luke's house, he's standing outside. "He has a piercing." One of them say in awe.
"And he's wearing all black." The other one says. "She hangs out with a punk." She says as I try to hide the fact that I'm totally laughing at them. Soon Luke comes and sits in the front seat.
"You guys didn't have to give me the front seat." He says.
"For the love of god, please drop that." I say, only loud enough for him to hear. He knits his eyebrows together in confusion as I just mouth to trust me. "Where do you guys want to go?" I ask.
"We're not just driving all day, are we?" One of them asks. Their voices are pretty much the same, I can't tell who's talking to me unless I'm looking at them. "That sounds really boring. I don't want to do that."
"Yeah, I want to go for a walk somewhere." The other says.
Luke looks over at me with wide eyes. I just nod at him. "Is there any places we can go for a walk around here, Luke?" I ask in a fake sweet voice.
"Well, a little past the cemetery, there's a field." He says. "There's some rocks hills we can walk around."
"How does that sound?" I ask.
"Alright, I guess." One of them say.
"Alright is a good enough response from me." I say as I pull over and get Luke to switch seats with me so he can drive us there.
"She's letting the punk drive." One of them whispers loudly. Luke and I look at each other and swap smirks.
"I'm Luke, by the way. I didn't introduce myself." He says, looking at them through the rear-view mirror.
"Sophia."
"Olivia." They say quickly.
Luke just nods as he drives us to the field. It's not a long drive, and it's somewhere I actually haven't been either. "Holy shit it's not out." Luke complains.
"I know, holy shit." I say, agreeing with him.
"That's because you're both all in black." Olivia points out.
"Good eye." Luke says, sarcastically.
The twins just shake their heads as they start walking up the rock hills. Luke and I sigh at each other as we follow them. They walk around the rocks for a good fifteen minutes before suggesting we take a seat. Luke and I are both sweating as I sit down next to him, they sit a few feet away from us, bickering about something or other. I haven't picked up what over yet.
"Where did you score those friends?" Luke asks me out of breath.
"Would you believe me if I told you that they more mature when they were twelve?" I ask, trying to catch my breath.
"I'd hope so." Luke says. "I couldn't see you hanging out with them all the time like that."
I laugh at that. "I'd seriously jump a bridge."
"You know," Luke says as we look over at the twins, to see that they're giving Luke a dirty look. "I don't think they're huge fans of me."
"That's okay." I say. "They don't have to be." I smile at him. "Because I'm a huge fan of you." I say before resting my head on his shoulder. He rests his head on top of mine.
"Well, I guess yours is the only opinion that I are about anyways." He says.
"I'm bored here." Sophia says, catching me off guard, causing me to jump, for a moment, I forgot they were here. It was just be and Luke, but there was my reminder. "Let's go, I'm hungry."
"Hey, Sophia?" Olivia asks as they both jump up. Luke and I stand up too and start walking behind them.
"What, Liv?" Sophia asks.
"Are you hungry?" She asks.
"Oh my god, I just said I was three minutes ago!" Sophia snaps.
"Sorry." She says. "Hey, Soph?" She asks in the same tone.
"What?"
"Are you getting angry at me?" Olivia asks.
"No, shut the hell up." Sophia says.
"Are you mad at me?" She asks again, in a taunting voice. "Hey, Soph?!" She asks again. Sophia ignores her. "Hey, hey, hey! Soph! Sophia! Am I getting on your nerves?" She asks.
"I don't know about Sophia, but she's on my nerves." Luke says in a pissed off voice as we stop keeping up with them, we just lean into each other, both out of breath from climbing so much.
"I'm sorry for dragging you along." I say with a slight frown.
"Don't worry about it." He says with a smile. "I don't mind seeing you anytime. Even if it is when they're around."
"I like being around you too." I say. "That's why I called you." I say as we finally catch up to the twins.
"You guys are really leaving us out, you know. It's not cool." Sophia says.
"Yeah, we're here too! Not just him!" Olivia agrees.
Luke and I look over at each other, with raised eyebrows and wide eyes. As if we're both mentally slapping them. I know that I am. "Sorry." I say as we get into my car. "We were just talking because we didn't want to slow you guys down, you were on a roll." I insure them as Luke starts the car and starts driving back to my house.