Chapter 3

"What do you mean it's already started?" A familiar voice shouted.

I slowly opened my eyes to look up at the canopy of our bed. How on earth did I end up here? Then I remembered. I'd passed out in the hallway.

Pushing myself up onto my elbows I look around the bedroom, at the foot of the bed was Ben talking to the Doc (The Doc, from Snow White), and Evie and Jane were standing off to the corner of the room.

"No, this can't be happening." Ben sank down on the chest at the end of the bed and put his head in his hands. "It's not time yet. It's too early."

"Benny?" I asked in a hoarse voice. "What's going on?"

Hearing my voice, Ben raced around to my side of the bed and gently hugged me.

"Oh my god, you're okay!" He sighed, obviously relieved.

"Of course, I am silly. I only fainted." I was sounding more like myself now.

Ben's gaze went to the floor and I looked around the room, staring at every face. Each of them looking away from me.

"What's going on?" I demand in my most queenly voice; I see Jane slightly flinch out of the corner of my eye, which means that I had managed to do it right this time.

"Your Majesty," Doc began, stepping forward. "It seems that your mother's curse has started. You fainted but it wasn't due to any everyday circumstances. It was a product of the curse."

"What do you mean?" I ask, suddenly afraid of what this means for me.

"Mal..." Evie started, crawling across the bed to sit beside me. "Jane and I have been looking into the curse that your mother cast. Something that was never mentioned to anyone is that there was the chance that she could intentionally or unintentionally direct different pain upon the people in the curse.

"Joining you and Ben together she made sure the kingdom would suffer. However, she placed a more personal curse on the two of you without telling anyone. For you, she made sure that you would suffer physically until you broke the curse. For Ben, his punishment is to watch you go through it, and with what I found in the curse, it seems there is no way that he can help you."

All I could do was sit there. I was shocked - my own mother, causing me physical pain, causing my husband mental pain and causing the shattering of our kingdom. Now I understood why she had been exiled to the Isle of the Lost. She was ruthless and relentless, with no heart. I looked at Ben, who was watching me carefully, with tears in my eyes.

"I am so sorry, Mal. We had no idea the extent of the curse." Ben apologised.

"I knew Mother hated me for betraying her, but this is a bit extreme." I sobbed on Ben's shoulder.

Everyone left, and I was ordered by Doc to spend the rest of the day in bed. Ben worked from the little couch suite in the corner of our room, refusing to leave me. Jane and Evie went off to finish planning the party for my approval and to see if they could work out more of the curse and the pieces to break it.

It came to lunch time and the food was brought up to our room. Laying it all out on the ginormous bed, Ben and I had a little indoor picnic.

"So, I was thinking about something really important today." Ben started, halfway through a sandwich.

"Okay..." I was curious, he had that serious expression on his face which told me we were no longer joking around.

"It's almost been a year, and I know that neither of us want to rush into anything but I was thinking it was time to -" Ben was cut off when the door was slammed open with a wild looking Evie and an exhausted Jane.

"We found it!" Evie cried.

"You found what?" I asked.

"The keys to break the curse! We figured out what they are." Jane was waving pieces of paper in the air.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How was Chapter 3?