Chapter 16

Warning, this is the birth scene. So there may be language, vivid imagery and other gross descriptions. If you don't feel like reading all that then I suggest you skip this chapter and go to the next one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pain was nothing like I had ever felt. It was worse than I could ever imagine. First, a puddle was water was at my feet and Evie was already running to get towels to mop it up, Ben helped me back onto the bed so that I was sitting up a bit and Fairy Godmother was over by the sink getting ready.

"How do you feel, Mal?' She asks.

"Like my lower body is on fire!" I yell, as I get another contraction. And it really did feel like my lower body was on fire. My legs felt like they were going numb but had pain shooting through them at the same time, they shook with every contraction that I had and it was a good thing that I was on the bed otherwise I would have fallen over. Sweat was forming all over my body and I was in nothing but my bra with a sheet over my knees, and my body was still feeling hot. 

"Owww!" I cry and tell, as another contraction hit. I gripped the edge of the bed harder and harder, to the point where it was starting to hurt my hands.

"Okay," Fairy Godmother says, moving between my legs. 'Let's see how far along you are."

After a few seconds of measuring and double-checking, "Okay hun, you're almost there."

"What do you mean almost?" I ask, panting.

"As in you are almost ready to push." Fairy Godmother explains calmly.

"Didn't you read those mags I gave you, Mal?" Evie asks from my side.

"No, I didn't have time between all the attacks we've had!" I answer sarcastically through clenched teeth.

"Okay, calm down there fisty pants." Evie says pulling her hand off my arm.

"You try getting ready to push a kid out of you." I retort back.

"Nah, I'm all good thanks."

"E. you are not helping here." Ben says, glaring at her from the other side of the bed.

"Fine." She sighs.

"Okay, Mal." Fairy Godmother says from between my legs. "You're ready to push."

Ben grabs one hand and Evie grabs the other, Fairy Godmother sides on her stool with her tools next to her on a trolley ready for anything. On her word, I take a deep breathe in and push with all my might. It's worse than the contractions, worse than trying to push a stubborn poo out of my bum. It's just worse than anything I have ever felt. I can feel the baby moving along my insides as I push her down, heading towards the exit of my body. I'm told to have a break and I'm panting and sweating worse than before. Ben wipes my head of sweat while Evie quickly runs to get a glass of water before I have to push again. I can feel the baby, it's an uncomfortable lump inside my body that will only go away if I push it out of my body. 

"Okay, Mal. Go again!" Fairy Godmother calls.

And I go again! This lasts for hours! Breaks, pushing, panting, crying,  I'm pretty sure I even yelled at Ben at some point, and then furiously apologised afterwards because I felt horrible for yelling at him.

Around the mid afternoon the baby still hadn't come out and we were running out of time. 

"Am I done yet?" I ask, exhausted, hungry and covered in sweat. 

"No, honey." Ben says carefully. "Not just yet, we don't have a baby in our arms."

I sigh loudly, just as there is a knock on the door. No-one but our closest friends knew about this room and they were told not to interrupt unless it was majorly important. 

"Yeah?" Fairy Godmother calls.

"I am so sorry but this is too important." Jane says as she opens the door slightly. "Ben, Maleficent has started lining up her army. She's getting ready for war."

"Oh no." I say quietly, struggling to breathe, this was not good. 

"If they haven't attacked yet then we still have time. She's only getting ready because she doesn't think we'll have the baby out by then." Ben explains. "Just keep an eye on them and we'll get her out as soon as possible."

"Okay." I say confidently. "I have a baby to produce! Let's get her out!"

Everyone repositioned themselves, Jane backed out of the room and we started again. It was worse because I was trying to push her out faster than before. We had a major deadline and now there was an army ready and waiting. There was no way my mother was going to win this fight.

It was 11pm and I was starting to get ridiculously tired. I had been at this for hours and we weren't finished yet. 

"You're crowning, Mal!" Fairy Godmother says. "I want one more big push to get the shoulders out! This might hurt, hun."

Sucking in a deep breathe, I gritted my teeth, tensed and pushed. She was lying, this part hurt like hell! After the worst part, I felt her simply slip out, but there was no crying.

"What's wrong?" I ask panicked. "Why isn't she crying?"

Fairy Godmother had her lying on the table next to her, she was still covered in blood but I couldn't see her tiny chest rising and falling.

"What's wrong?" I yell.

"Mal, calm down." Evie says holding me. Ben was over talking to and helping Fairy Godmother, they were standing in front of the table and I couldn't see my baby anymore. What was happening?

I couldn't take it anymore, I shakily got up and started to walk to the table. It hurt like hell, no one said that it would be difficult to walk after but it was. 

When I had managed to stagger my way to the table, Ben was gently cradling the baby and crying. But they weren't happy tears, something was wrong. 

"Ben?" I asked cautiously.

"Mal, I'm sorry." Fairy Godmother says, with tears on her cheek.

No, it couldn't be true. She promised that this wouldn't harm me or the baby. She promised that we would both be fine. Ben placed the lifeless child in my arms, as I stared down at the tiny body that was wrapped in a pink blanket. Evie came to embrace Ben as I cried over my baby. I had lost her, I had lost against my mother, I had basically lost everything. 

I sat for the rest of the night with the baby in my arms. I yelled at anyone who tried to take her away from me as I cradled her to my chest. My tears never stopped, I wiped them away before they could fall on the baby because I didn't want to disturb her little body. 

The sun started to rise over the hills, and the last of my tears were on my cheeks, I tried to wipe away the last one but it escaped me and landed on the cheek of my daughter.

I watched it, as it sank into her skin (which was weird) and the spot started to glow lightly. Then her eyes fluttered open as she sucked in a big breathe and she started to cry!