33

The water was calm and warm. The sun slowly setting in the sunset. Splashes of colours of yellow, pink and orange. There were no clouds, just a clear evening. I loved watching the sunset, compared to the sunrise - I wasn't a morning person.
It would be night soon, meaning the full moon. It was going to eventful.
Dunking my head underwater, I started swimming around. Some fish swam beside me, their silver scales shimmering from the water. Something shiny caught my eye. Swimming down to the sandy bottom, I picked it up. It was an open oyster shell. And inside, a pearl. I grinned to myself, this would complete the pearl necklace.
Someone was calling my name. It sounded like a man's name. Pietro's voice. I missed him. I really did, but he didn't trust me. Neither of them did. Why would I want to be in a team who do not believe me? Compared to the sirens, they were my family, even if I didn't want to be turned. But they were helping me, they were kind, they trusted me, I trusted them. Did I trust them? My head was so confused.
Someone was calling my name again. Swimming to the surface of the water. Pearl stood by the edge of the sand and water. She motioned for me to come in.
"Full moon will be up soon! We need to prepared!" She shouted. I nodded in response and started swimming towards the shore. Once I could stand up on the sand, I walked out of the water. I only wore a pink swim suit. Turned Sirens wore swim suits instead of bikini's to avoid them falling off, plus the Queen of the Sirens thought it would be more suitable. It usually covered up more skin rather than a bikini. But the born Sirens, had a large scaley chest and a blue tail.
"I got the last pearl you needed" I grinned at Pearl. She took the oyster shell and admired it.
"It's perfect, she will love it" she grinned. "come on, we need to get prepared for the full moon" I nodded at her and walked with her into the large rainforest, which we called our home.
A few hours past, and the full moon started to rise. We all stood on the white sand, watching the silver sphere slowly rise into the night sky, a few stars sprinkled around. The water was calm, dark, and shimmering the reflection of the moon.
"Before the full moon rises, we would like to honor you as the leader of this pod, Lexi" Pearl said grinning. I stood their shocked.
"Me leader, don't we already have a leader? I have been meaning to ask about that"
"No. She was killed in a shark attack. She swam through Shark reef to find something, but she cut herself on coral before she was going to give up, it attracted them and they got her. We only found out when her sister felt her die" I looked down. That was a heck of a story.
"What was she trying to find?"
"A trident. It's another story, but not for tonight. Anyway, will you do the honor of becoming our leader? The fight with the nameless man, you took charge, that is what a leader does. You show power and courage every day. It would be an honor for you to become our leader" Pearl explained.
"And what does a leader do?" That sounded stupid
"A leader leads, and rules. Shows power and courage, that is all" she smiled. I thought about it.
"Let me think on it please"
"You would be the best leader we would ever have!" A small girls voice spoke with excitement. Shelly. I grinned at her. It was a shock when she was killed, but it was also a shock when we bought her back to life with a little bit of magic. Around her neck was a pearl necklace, from her sister. She had been finding and building the pearls for her sister.
The power surge from the full moon could be felt. Goosebumps formed on my body. I grinned feeling it's power on me. Closing my eyes, I absorbed the power from the shining full moon. Opening my eyes, I felt a little different. My powers becoming a little stronger. Walking over to the edge of the sand, I looked down at the water. My eyes were shiny white, just like the moon.
Turning my head, I looked at the pod who were now under the moon's spell.
"Let's go for a swim" I told them. Walking into the water, I dived in and started swimming around. The spell would only last a couple of ours, before we would pass out from the moon and wake up the next day.
An hour went by and I felt nearly charged. I grinned to myself as I laid on the surface of the water. The moon was shining, so big. So powerful. The colour reminded me of Pietro's hair. Wait. Why was I thinking of Pietro. I shouldn't be. I couldn't be. I was under the moon's spell.
There was no sound. But I could hear a faint sound of something in the distance. It sounded like a reeving sound, a car, maybe a boat. Turning around, I squinted my eyes and noticed something in the distance. Silver hair caught my eye. Pietro?! They were on a boat, heading this way. On a full moon, Siren's swimming around. This wasn't going to end well. I heard a screech come from the water. The boat had come to a stop. I felt myself being drawn to the moon again. Looking at the silver globe, I felt power, urge. I then looked at the boat and disappeared under the water.
Swimming towards the large boat, I saw tails under the water. As I reached it, I grabbed onto the edge of the boat, and lifted myself up, coming up from the water. Face to face with Pietro.
"Lexi?" He asked in his accent. He was about to reach for my face until Steve advised him not to.
"She is under the moon's spell. Not a good thing, look at her eyes" I glanced at Steve and then at Pietro smirking. I managed to lift myself up on the boat and whisper in his ear.
"Why don't you trust me?" I asked before dipping back into the water.
"I do trust you Lexi. I was just shocked." he responded.
"Excuses, excuses from a human" Pearl said resting on the boat's edge, keeping her eye on Sam.
"It isn't an excuse, I was shocked. Even more shocked when you handed back your ring"
"I wasn't going to marry someone who doesn't trust me. Trust keeps everyone together, but it also rips them apart" I said gritting my teeth, spitting venom.
"Why are you here?" Oceana, another mermaid, with brown hair and bright blue eyes, which were now silver asked. She was watching Steve, now putting him under the spell. He was enchanted.
"We need to ask you a few questions. Men have been washed up on Fort Tilden Beach. Each with bites in their necks, like vampires. Now we know vampires don't exist-" Before Natasha could respond, I swam away from the boat and looked at them.
"So you think it is us?" Everyone was silent. I shook my head.
"This is another reason why I left the team, you had no trust!" And that was the cue. We all let out a loud screech, but they weren't covering their ears. They came prepared. I smirked at them and disappeared under the water, underneath the boat. I concentrated on the boat, and made a hand gesture, blowing a large hole in the bottom. Sinking boat.
I swam to the surface seeing the Avengers standing up. They were stuck. The pod then started rocking the boat until they tipped it over.
"Don't do anything to them. Let's play" I smirked "Like an orca plays with a seal" Dunking underwater, I swam over to Pietro. I was now face to face with him.
"Lexi we just want to talk"
"But nothing we will say will matter, because you don't trust me"
"I didn't ever say that, I was shocked, I didn't know how to respond. I have always trusted you Lexi, always will, which is why I asked you to marry me"
"I handed you the ring back, you didn't beg or anything. You just kept it saying nothing. You may trust me, but I don't trust you, or any of you."
"Like you said, trust keeps everyone together, but tears us apart. I trust you, but you don't trust me or any of us. What can I do to make you trust me?" I looked at him. I don't know what he could do to make me trust him. I really didn't.
"I-I don't know Pietro. I don't know" I looked down. He tilted my face up, using his finger under my chin. He leant in and kissed me softly. He then pulled away.
"I love you Lexi. I always have and always will. I never stopped thinking about you. Ask Wanda what I have been doing to get you back. I have had sleepless nights, finding ways to get you back. Trying everything. Every night I have nightmares of loosing you, and it became reality. You still wear the necklace I gave you, that must mean something"
I looked down at my neck, it was the Siren necklace Pietro gave me. I now knew I could trust him. If I didn't, the necklace would of been destroyed. It always meant something to me. Love.
"We just need you to come back with us, please-" A loud screech came from a siren. I looked over seeing Oceana swimming fast towards Steve who was under the spell.
"NO!" I shouted. I started swimming with the rest of the Sirens towards Oceana who was heading to Steve. I then felt something prick in my skin. I looked over my shoulder seeing a dart in my shoulder. I then looked up seeing a quinjet. I glared at them and then looked at Pietro.
"I didn't know!" He shouted.
I felt a little drowsy.
I dropped the dart and slowly felt myself being pulled underwater...