twelve - reformation

"Is that Irwin or am I hallucinating?" Brad questioned through an obnoxious chuckle once Ashton entered the ice rink and sat at the benches, putting on his Harlick skates.

Ashton just glanced at him and rolled his eyes, he stood up when he finished putting his skates on and fixed his helmet.

"Let's begin as if nothing happened, okay?" He asked the team, skating over to where the puck was and hiting it straight into the goal with his stick.

"Yeah, okay." Scott said simply, giving him a small shrug. "You go over there and take seat." He then said, pointing at the benches with his stick.

"What? Why? I'm the captain." Ashton argued, raising his voice as he glanced puzzled at each of them.

"Sorry, Irwin. But the coach put me as the captain and for now you're the exchange." Scott said, giving him a sorrow smile.

Ashton looked at him with confusion as it slowly turned into anger and he just skated over to the benches as the coach entered.

"This is your own fault, Irwin." The coach said simply once he sat down next to a fumming Ashton.

"I know." He said, letting out a small sigh to try and calm down.

"Scott has so improved since you left, watch him." The coach said, elbowing him a bit as he pointed at the short boy skating on the ice.

"Awesome." Ashton said chuckling, sarcasm thick in his voice.

"Don't cry, Irwin." The coach then said through a small sigh, placing a hand on Ashton's back when he took off his gloves and helmet. "You can easily get back on your position if you come back regulary to practices and make your grades look a little less miserable." He added, flashing him a small smile.

Their coach actually loved Ashton as the team captain and he did his best to keep him there for as long as possible but five weeks were just too long and he had to put Scott as the new captain, but he already had a plan on how to bring Ashton back.

"I have a chance to come back?" Ashton asked silently, a small smile spreading onto his face.

"Of course you have." The coach said, giving him a small pat on the back. "Christmas holidays are in two weeks, that's when you will practice here on your own and fix your grades."

"It sounds like a good plan." Ashton crinckled his nose up a bit before he just couldn't help but grin like a fool.

He was so happy that there was actually a way for him to become the team captain again after he didn't want to join the team for over a month. But he now realized that ice hockey was the only way for him to get onto college and a good paid job. Also, Nina practically spend no time with him. She still as well remembered nothing, but yet she fell in love with Luke all over again, so the best thing for Ashton to do was get back onto the team and do something good for his future.

"C'mon, Irwin. Show me a score." All of a sudden Brad's voice brought Ashton back to reality and he just flashed him a smile before he quickly tied his skates and put his helmet on, skating towards the team. "A typicaly perfect score, c'mon." He instructed, shoving the puck towards Ashton.

He took it with his stick and right after he took a deep breath he started to quickly skate towards the goal, hiting the puck as strong and precise as he could, sending it straight into the goal, halfways.

Ashton turned around and took of the helmet, smiling at his team mates as he panted.

"Wow." Scott said, skating over to the sweaty and curly haired boy, swinging an arm over his shoulders.